non-slip material for flat crowned forks

terrybigwheel

Guest
My torker dx has a flat "crown" (kindof an oxymoron) where you can put
your foot/feet for WW, gliding, etc., but it's very smooth and
slippery. Has anyone ever tried putting on something like that non-slip
stuff like they have on skateboards to keep your feet from slipping off
the top of the fork?

--
terrybigwheel

Terry
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

Griptape...yeah it would work. I have seen crowns with pins in them. The
KHs have noodles. Grip tape wouldn't give as much grip as those but
more than nothing.
I have griptape on my crankarms and it makes them less slippery for
tricks where my feet are on the cranks.

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
_____________________________

chosen wrote:
> wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*

yeah grip tape is a good material to use for fork crowns and cranks for
that bit of extra grip!!

grip tape is available at any skate(board) shop !! and it is quite
cheap and u get the size of a skateboard worth if u buy it from a skate
shop, and that amount will last u a while!!

or u could go to a hardware store, they should have something like it,
i think. ..

i am pretty sure that Ryan Atkins has grip tape on his kh trials
crown!!

> The KHs have noodles.

no only the muni style frames have noodles on the crown, the trials
frames dont!!

--
trials2k

One Wheel, One Foot, Why Not !!??;) **
trials2k's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11354

If you ask nicely, skate shops will often sell you the end of a roll of
griptape super cheap or give you it, it's no use to them once it's
shorter than a board length. Same goes for off-cuts once they've put it
on a board. You don't need much to put on a unicycle crown.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

yeah, grip tape works really well

i actually like it better on my flat-crowned kh 20 than i do the
noodles on my kh 24

and u can get it at a hardware store, i think it's really meant for
putting on the edges of stairs for safety, so just ask for that
it comes in rolls at different widths (1,2,3 inches)

--
ColDawG

Your friendly, neighborhood Muniman

http://www.wheelaway.com/
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

I had skateboard grip tape on my curved-crown 20". The skate shop had
it in 9 inch wide rolls and would sell you whatever length you wanted.
I got a 9inch square piece for about £2.50 around 18months ago, and
haven't had to replace it yet!

On the curved crown it was really good and effective so I reckon on a
flat crown it would be even better.

Without the tape, trying to go one-footed I had to place my foot in the
right position on the crown and hold it there without putting pressure
on it or it would slip and hit the tyre.

With the tape, trying to go one-footed I could just slam my foot into
the general direction of the crown and could put pressure (press my
foot into the frame/crown) on without worrying.

Hope this helps.

T.

--
DarkTom

'*_My_Gallery_*' (http://tinyurl.com/9bnux)
-\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
less.\" - johnhimsworth
\"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher
\"you could help by not making it look so darn easy.\" - chrashing
-
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

DarkTom wrote:
> I had skateboard grip tape on my curved-crown 20". The skate shop had
> it in 9 inch wide rolls and would sell you whatever length you wanted.
> I got a 9inch square piece for about £2.50 around 18months ago, and
> haven't had to replace it yet!
>
> On the curved crown it was really good and effective so I reckon on a
> flat crown it would be even better.
>
> Without the tape, trying to go one-footed I had to place my foot in the
> right position on the crown and hold it there without putting pressure
> on it or it would slip and hit the tyre.
>
> With the tape, trying to go one-footed I could just slam my foot into
> the general direction of the crown and could put pressure (press my
> foot into the frame/crown) on without worrying.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> T.

yea but what do u put it on with?

glue..?

plus when it wears down howv do u take it off if its glued?:eek:
:confused:

--
dragonking1990
dragonking1990's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11613

Grip tape is sticky on one side so it sticks. I think thats why it is
called grip -tape-. You can take it off if you need to though.

--

chosen wrote:
> wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*

I put grip tape on my older Torker DX, and after 2 days of standup wheel
walking my feet forced it off. Grip tape doesn't work for standup wheel
walking.

It works for gliding, but I didn't notice that it helps much...

--
forrestunifreak

'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)
For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

forrestunifreak wrote:
> I put grip tape on my older Torker DX, and after 2 days of standup wheel
> walking my feet forced it off. Grip tape doesn't work for standup wheel
> walking.
>
> It works for gliding, but I didn't notice that it helps much...

The "non-stick" backing usually DOES heat up and come loose; same thing
happens with sticky-back velcro, if you're using it to support stuff
vertically. I simply spread a few drops of CA glue (crazy glue) on the
back, then press and hold it in place and it's ON! :D

--
terrybigwheel

Terry
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

The dude that sold me it said to heat it and the surface it's going onto
with a hair drier before sticking. I never did it and it stuck fine
for me. Maybe it would stick even better with a little heat?

T.