OT: benefits of drinking tea

"steve common" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>

> >http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=2599482
> >
> >of course, it's advisable to take it with a pinch of salt. studies have shown that sodium is good
> >for us.
>
> Tea's very good. Especially with a touch of milk. On the downside, tea (and coffee and chocolate)
> inhibit Iron absorption and so should be avoided near a meal (or swallowing a supplement) which
> you're hoping is providing you with Iron.

I think this would be a good benefit for most men as most men get too much iron from their diet. And
unlike women, they don't lose blood every month.
--
Ted Current quote: "It can't be like this..." http://hometown.aol.com/rhwbullhead

isn't that because of the caffeine? if so, there are some herbal teas without caffeine.

jobs

[email protected] wrote:

> http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=2599482
>
> of course, it's advisable to take it with a pinch of salt. studies have shown that sodium is
> good for us.

Personally I recommend against the consumption of sodium. It reacts too violently with water in ones
body. And all the hydrogen it gives off in the process can be quite troublesome.

Secondly, I recommend (if you need anything besides milk in your tea) sugar rather than NaCl.

Malc

Bill-always hard-Rodgers wrote:

> Tea has no value whatsoever [...] It'll also rot your teeth faster than anything on this earth.
> See that stain in the cup when you're done?

Rot your teeth? Really? Stain them for sure, but rot them?

I read something a while back that something in tea was good for counteracting the effects of sugar
or plaque, and thus reduce rotting. A quick search on google turns up several links like this one:
<http://www.atlantisherbs.com/Articles/no_cavi-teas.htm>

Malc

>Personally I recommend against the consumption of sodium. It reacts too violently with water in
>ones body. And all the hydrogen it gives off in the process can be quite troublesome.

Idiot. My diet contains 5X the salt considered safe, yet my BP is perfect, and I have no health
problems relating to salt. I also don't dehydrate easily.

Bill R.

=============> - -- - ( ! )
OO

Malcolm Ferguson wrote:

>>of course, it's advisable to take it with a pinch of salt. studies have shown that sodium is
>>good for us.
>>

> Personally I recommend against the consumption of sodium. It reacts too violently with water in
> ones body. And all the hydrogen it gives off in the process can be quite troublesome.

I'll assume you're not trolling and ask, what dark place did you pull this tidbit about salt
reacting violently? Unless you are allergic to salt or have high blood pressure, salt in moderation
is just fine for the average bear and very necessary for running and exercise in general.

--
Caveat Lector "the further you go outside, the further you go inside" - B. McKibben Doug Freese
[email protected]

Malcolm Ferguson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Personally I recommend against the consumption of sodium. It reacts too violently with water in
> ones body. And all the hydrogen it gives off in the process can be quite troublesome.

i don't know about the water in one's body, but when i was i little kid, we used to do experiments
in our chemistry lab and one of the things which we would try to do is drop some sodium in water and
watch it explode.

> Secondly, I recommend (if you need anything besides milk in your tea) sugar rather than NaCl.

i drink my tea plain. no sugar, no milk, no NaCl.

jobs

Bill-always hard-Rodgers wrote:
>>Personally I recommend against the consumption of sodium. It reacts too violently with water in
>>ones body. And all the hydrogen it gives off in the process can be quite troublesome.
>

> Idiot. My diet contains 5X the salt considered safe, yet my BP is perfect, and I have no health
> problems relating to salt. I also don't dehydrate easily.

Bill, learn to read. He didn't say SALT, he said SODIUM. Don't you remember high school
chemistry class?

oops, I forgot you didn't pass beyond 4th grade. 8^)

--
Ed Prochak running http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ netiquette http://www.psg.com/emily.html
--

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but would like to add my bit as isn't it all about peoples thoughts,
expereinces and advice? Anyway, how does green tea come into this equation? Has plenty of flavanoids

Patrick Walkington <[email protected]> wrote: ...
> And I hate it when people say "imagine what it does to your stomach".

i guess these are the people that drink coke and pepsi instead of tea? tell them to pull out a tooth
and put it in a glass of coke/pepsi and watch it dissolve.