um,eh, Martha!

elaine

Guest
I um... just spent the last 15 minutes, eh...watching Martha Stewart's
cooking show. Hung in there because, eh... I thought her ummm Asian Soup
might be interesting.

Au contraire, I ummm, never had the patience to actually hear the recipe.

Baffles me how/why she has her own show. But perhaps she was better before.

--
E.

elaine wrote:
> I um... just spent the last 15 minutes, eh...watching Martha Stewart's
> cooking show. Hung in there because, eh...Baffles me how/why she
> has her own show. But perhaps she was better before.

Um, another one of "us" that this Martha annoys with her, uh, all of
those, uh, brainless utterances proving, uh, lack of thought when
speaking. Along with all of the too numerous to mention things she
claims to have studied, I wonder if she would even try to eliminate
those "uh" utterances from her speech were she to be instantly mimicked
each time one comes out....

Uh, Picky

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:25:59 -0500, "elaine" <[email protected]>
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>I um... just spent the last 15 minutes, eh...watching Martha Stewart's
>cooking show. Hung in there because, eh... I thought her ummm Asian Soup
>might be interesting.

Way back in the Jurassic age, I was given a copy of Martha Stewarts
_Entertaining_ cookbook. I was a less sophisticated cook than I am
now and prepared numerous dishes from this cookbook, as I thought she
*must* be the be all, end all of cooking. She wasn't/isn't. I don't
think half of the dishes I prepared from that cookbook was worth a
d*mn and I don't think my cooking skills were at fault. One recipe
that I recall had to do with baby tomatoes which had the innards
scooped out, replaced with a cream cheese mixture and topped with
caviar. The resultant mess was inedible and looked horrible (the
caviar bled all over the cream cheese). I did mention that I was a
fairly new cook, did I not, or I would have seen the potential
problem.

She may be able to make a very pretty cornucopia our of pine cones and
corn shucks, but she can't cook worth a damn.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:27:47 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Way back in the Jurassic age, I was given a copy of Martha Stewarts
> _Entertaining_ cookbook. I was a less sophisticated cook than I am
> now and prepared numerous dishes from this cookbook, as I thought she
> *must* be the be all, end all of cooking. She wasn't/isn't. I don't
> think half of the dishes I prepared from that cookbook was worth a
> d*mn and I don't think my cooking skills were at fault. One recipe
> that I recall had to do with baby tomatoes which had the innards
> scooped out, replaced with a cream cheese mixture and topped with
> caviar. The resultant mess was inedible and looked horrible (the
> caviar bled all over the cream cheese). I did mention that I was a
> fairly new cook, did I not, or I would have seen the potential
> problem.
>
> She may be able to make a very pretty cornucopia our of pine cones and
> corn shucks, but she can't cook worth a damn.

Martha Stewart was an instrument of change and a cookbook author who
got you going - but you've moved on now. I don't think she's going to
shed any tears over it because that's what teaching is all about.
(Julia Child was my guru - so now you know I am older than you are)

I have the same opinion about Chez Panisse as an instrument of change.

Chez Panisse nurtured a huge movement. It was the catalyst of so much
change that the philosophy seems commonplace now. Alice Waters truly
opened the eyes of the eating public and those who cook for them.