or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads,light trail use)

post #1 of 7
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:50:50 GMT, SMS
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
>and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured
>as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I
>remove the fenders.
>
>It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
>around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
>(http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...1740&sku=11023)
>
>I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.
>
>Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

Dear Steven,

The Maxxis Worm Drive CX 700x42 has tread:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=8769

The Kenda K197 Hybrid 700x42 is smooth:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Carl Fogel
post #2 of 7

Re: Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads, light trail use)

"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail and
>fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured as
>20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I remove the
>fenders.

I really dig the All Terrainasaurus from WTB. I have tires that are a few
years old and I'm sure are 42 or 45mm. I see they are currently offering
only up to 38mm, but I'd still recommend 'em. . .

http://www.wtb.com/products/tires_allterrain.html

> It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
> around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
> (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...1740&sku=11023)
>
> I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.
>
> Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?
post #3 of 7

Re: Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads, light trail use)

I like BikeNashbar, and I'll bet they are good tires. For tires, I like
Schwalbe. Marathon plus is what I use, and the Marathon xr is an upgrade
alternate.

"Wheels by BFWG" <BFWG@Comcast.net> wrote in message

> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
>>and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured
>>as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I remove
>>the fenders.

> I really dig the All Terrainasaurus from WTB. I have tires that are a few
> years old and I'm sure are 42 or 45mm. I see they are currently offering
> only up to 38mm, but I'd still recommend 'em. . .
>
> http://www.wtb.com/products/tires_allterrain.html
>

>> It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
>> around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
>> (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...1740&sku=11023)
>>
>> I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

post #4 of 7

Re: Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads, light trail use)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:25:36 -0600, carlfogel@comcast.net
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:50:50 GMT, SMS
><scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>>I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
>>and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured
>>as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I
>>remove the fenders.
>>
>>It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
>>around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
>>(http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...1740&sku=11023)
>>
>>I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.
>>
>>Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

>Dear Steven,
>
>The Maxxis Worm Drive CX 700x42 has tread:
>
>http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=8769
>
>The Kenda K197 Hybrid 700x42 is smooth:
>
>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
>
>Carl Fogel

Or this IRC Mythos CX 700x42:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...em_id=IR-MYS42

CF
post #5 of 7

wrote:

>I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
>and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured
>as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I
>remove the fenders.
>
>It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
>around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
>(http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...1740&sku=11023)
>
>I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.
>
>Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

Conti CityContact is available in 700x42, 47 and 54. I haven't tried
it, but it looks similar in construction to the SportContact, which I
love in its 700x37 form for the kind of riding you describe.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ontact_en.html

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
post #6 of 7

Re: Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads,light trail use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS
I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured
as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I
remove the fenders.

It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
(http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...1740&sku=11023)

I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?
20 mm wide rim .. inside or outside measurement?
If it's an outside measurment you're pushing it to go with any wider tire on that width rim.
post #7 of 7

Re: Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads, light trail use)

> Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

BG Rock'n'Road
<http://www.bgcycles.com/access.html>
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home