slick tire bad for moab?

litldude2

Guest
I am riding a slick 2.10 street tire on my muni and I like it so much
more than a fat 3.0 tire but will I need the nobbies for moab? I have
been riding it doing street type stuff and I have only had a problem
with lack of grip twice, once was because it was raining and I tried to
rolling hop up a bench and I kind of slid off, the other time was when
I did a pirouette in some sand on concrete and I slid out really
easily. I have never been to Moab so does anyone know if my street tire
will be ok or should I put my fatty duro back on for the weekend?

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com

James_Potter wrote:
> I think we could just apply the same cure we use for bread, to humans.
> just scrape off the cancer with a butter knife, then put jelly on it,
> and eat it...mmmmmm

You might want some knobbys, yeah. A slick tire could be usable on
slickrock (slickrock is like sandpaper) but on the other rides there
will be a lot of loose kinda dirt around.

You might like a tire like the Kenda Kolossal 2.6 better. I'll trade
ya. :)

--
forrestunifreak

*'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*-updated

For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

forrestunifreak wrote:
> You might like a tire like the Kenda Kolossal 2.6 better. I'll trade ya.
> :)

haha, no thanks;)

--

mawesome wrote:
> What exactly is moab? From what i can gather it's some sort of
> annual MUni event, can someone confirm this for me?

'Google'd' (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=moab+muni)
yes

--
monkeyman

unijesse wrote:
> im too lazy to be lazy i gess

'just' (http://oldeenglish.org/gymclass.html) about the coolest thing
I've ever seen
I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

Moab is a city in Southern Utah very well known in the MTBike world as a
MTbike haven. It's smack dab in between Canyonlands and Arch lands
National Parks.

Great place to mountain uni too, in fact.

Moab Munifest is just that-a muni festival in the town of Moab.

--
forrestunifreak

*'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*-updated

For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

You'll want the 3" tyre for Moab. Moab is more than just the slickrock
trail loop. The other trails are rocky and bumpy and stair steppy.
The 3" tyre will make the trail riding much more fun cause you'll be
able to plow over bumps and be more aggressive down the stair step
bits.

The Porcupine Rim trail is a mix of rocky stair steps and dirt. It
isn't "slickrock". I don't know what the Sunday ride trail is like,
but I doubt it is slickrock. The only slickrock ride is scheduled for
Friday.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

id say bring both... you know just in case

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

Ok, thanks you guys.

--

James_Potter wrote:
> I think we could just apply the same cure we use for bread, to humans.
> just scrape off the cancer with a butter knife, then put jelly on it,
> and eat it...mmmmmm

Brett Bymaster needed a new tire on our first Moab visit, in 2001. I
think he ended up buying the slick to try it out (on his Pashley) but
the guy in the shop, who was a trials bike rider and unicyclist, made a
funny quote, something like: "Rain, slickrock and unicycles? Bad
combination."

We were worried it was going to rain, but it didn't quite. If it rains,
you won't be happy with a slick tire. Also, as mentioned already, the
other Moab trails, like Porcupine rim, are on "regular" dirt & rocks,
so the slick won't be the best choice for there.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

When you're riding Slickrock itself, any tire will grip. Just don't try
riding on your metal rim, as then you'll understand the origins of the
term "slick rock". You'll also understand the term "pain" better if
you're trying to ride on your rim, so it's just a bad idea all around.

--
paco

Every time I see this thread I wonder what happened to Paco's back.
-John Childs

paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

johnfoss wrote:
> "Rain, slickrock and unicycles? Bad combination."

And speaking of rain, Moab is getting snow right now, so I'm not sure
what the weather will be like by the time the MUni Fest arrives. Does
anyone know what the trails are like when wet?

Up here a few hours North, I can't go for any trail rides as they are
all covered in snow (with more snow in the forecast). I guess there
goes my training schedule. :(

--

paco wrote:
> And speaking of rain, Moab is getting snow right now, so I'm not sure
> what the weather will be like by the time the MUni Fest arrives. Does
> anyone know what the trails are like when wet?

For Moab Muni Fest 2003 there were some small patches of snow (in the
shady areas) on the first part of the Porcupine Rim trail. Not enough
to even really notice unless you looked for it. If I remember
correctly, George Barnes rode the Porcupine Rim trail that year about
two weeks before the Moab Muni Fest and there was snow on the trail.