Brake change when converting to Drop Handlebars?

Will Marks

Guest
I have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid bike, and have started to do some
higher distance rides. I live in DC and ride along the Potomac, so wind
is often a problem. I've decide I want to convert to drop handlebars
for this bike. I've bought a set of bars and Shimano Sora shifter/brake
levers.

I was told that I don't need a stem, but that my V-style brake system
may not work. Will I need to change brake systems to get the Sora
levers to work? Is that true, or is there any more cost effective way
to fix the problem, or is it a problem at all?

On 17 Mar 2006 21:02:19 -0800, "Will Marks"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid bike, and have started to do some
>higher distance rides. I live in DC and ride along the Potomac, so wind
>is often a problem. I've decide I want to convert to drop handlebars
>for this bike. I've bought a set of bars and Shimano Sora shifter/brake
>levers.
>
>I was told that I don't need a stem, but that my V-style brake system
>may not work. Will I need to change brake systems to get the Sora
>levers to work? Is that true, or is there any more cost effective way
>to fix the problem, or is it a problem at all?

There's a widget called a Travel Agent which I believe will allow this
to work. Its usual application is on bikes where V-brakes are being
employed with mountain bike levers that were designed for old-style
canti brakes. It corrects for the mismatch in the amount of cable
pull available vs what the brakes require. I've never used one; I
have no idea how (or how well) it works.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 17 Mar 2006 21:02:19 -0800, "Will Marks"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid bike, and have started to do some
>>higher distance rides. I live in DC and ride along the Potomac, so wind
>>is often a problem. I've decide I want to convert to drop handlebars
>>for this bike. I've bought a set of bars and Shimano Sora shifter/brake
>>levers.
>>
>>I was told that I don't need a stem, but that my V-style brake system
>>may not work. Will I need to change brake systems to get the Sora
>>levers to work? Is that true, or is there any more cost effective way
>>to fix the problem, or is it a problem at all?

>There's a widget called a Travel Agent which I believe will allow this
>to work. Its usual application is on bikes where V-brakes are being
>employed with mountain bike levers that were designed for old-style
>canti brakes. It corrects for the mismatch in the amount of cable
>pull available vs what the brakes require. I've never used one; I
>have no idea how (or how well) it works.

I'm not sure if the Sirrus has "MTB-style" V brakes or not, but rather
than installing a travel agent (or similar) device, I'd recommend
slapping on a pair of the Tektro "mini-V" brakes. They're
considerably shorter than a MTB V-brake, and will still clear any tire
you'd reasonably want to run on a drop-bar bike. Plus, they are very
compatible with the cable pull of a drop bar brake lever.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame