Timex GPS for Pace Control?

Joe

Guest
I am training for my first half marathon (next Jan) I am currently up to 5 miles but my lap times
last week were:

11: 50
12: 20
13: 35
14: 25
15: 45

I'm thinking that it might be better to have a gradual increase, something like

16:50
17:30
18:00
19:30
20:00

I'm training to get to the starting line injury free and to finish the race. I can worry about speed
the next time (maybe).

My question: Does anyone have any experience with a Timex GPS in helping to control their pace?
Would this be a good tool to use?

Thanks, Joe

Joe wrote:

> My question: Does anyone have any experience with a Timex GPS in helping to control their pace?
> Would this be a good tool to use?

Yes and no. Its instantaneous pace readout is too erratic tobe of practical use whilst running. What
you can do though is just hit the "lap" button and then check your pace for your last "lap" which
can be any arbitrary distance. With a 100 lap memory, you're unlikely to run out of memory unless
you're obsessive about checking your pace.

I find it easier to set the distance alarm to beep every mile or km and then hit the lap button.
That's frequent enough for me and logs all my mile/km splits.

Tim

In article <[email protected]>, Joe wrote:
> I am training for my first half marathon (next Jan) I am currently up to 5 miles but my lap times
> last week were:
>
>11: 50
>11: 20
>11: 35
>10: 25
>9: 45
>
> I'm thinking that it might be better to have a gradual increase, something like
>
> 11:50
> 11:30
> 11:00
> 10:30
> 10:00
>
> I'm training to get to the starting line injury free and to finish the race. I can worry about
> speed the next time (maybe).
>
> My question: Does anyone have any experience with a Timex GPS in helping to control their pace?
> Would this be a good tool to use?

Wouldn't recommend it. If you're interested in trying to hold yourself back to a comfortable pace
(instead of getting caught up in the excitement and racing off), a heart rate monitor might help.
But it will only help hold you to an easy pace. For example, I sometimes use the heart rate monitor
when I'm a few days from the race and want to force myself to stay at an easy pace (by slowing down
whenever my heart rate gets too high)

If you really want to run to the best of your ability, the only way is to learn to listen to
your body.

Cheers,

In article <[email protected]>, Tim Downie wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>

>> My question: Does anyone have any experience with a Timex GPS in helping to control their pace?
>> Would this be a good tool to use?
>
> Yes and no. Its instantaneous pace readout is too erratic tobe of practical

I never used one of the old Timex GPS units but the new one, the Bodylink system, doesn't seem to
suffer from erratic readouts. I find its usful 85% of the time, current pace that is.

> use whilst running. What you can do though is just hit the "lap" button and then check your pace
> for your last "lap" which can be any arbitrary distance. With a 100 lap memory, you're unlikely to
> run out of memory unless you're obsessive about checking your pace.
>
> I find it easier to set the distance alarm to beep every mile or km and then hit the lap button.
> That's frequent enough for me and logs all my mile/km splits.
>
> Tim

I agree. HRM will set a much more meaningful limit.

I find the GPS more useful for determining distances for routes and getting an average pace
for a run.

Scott