New ultimate security bicycle.

I've seen a prototype bike which is being developed in Ireland to deal
with the perennial problem of bike theft in our cities. The bike itself
is the lock. Using a key you release a catch which allows the bike to
split in two, on top and down tubes. You then put the bike around a
pole and it snaps shut. The only way the thief can steal the bike,
destroys it and it is believed that this will be a big deterrent.

We'll see.

I've seen a prototype bike which is being developed in Ireland to deal
with the perennial problem of bike theft in our cities. The bike itself
is the lock. Using a key you release a catch which allows the bike to
split in two, on top and down tubes. You then put the bike around a
pole and it snaps shut. The only way the thief can steal the bike,
destroys it and it is believed that this will be a big deterrent.

We'll see.

Sounds kinda like an S&S equiped bike wherein the S&S couplers are locks rather than merely couplers.

Are there locks on each connector or only 1?

Is there a link describing the lock-bike?

> I've seen a prototype bike which is being developed in Ireland to deal
> with the perennial problem of bike theft in our cities. The bike itself
> is the lock. Using a key you release a catch which allows the bike to
> split in two, on top and down tubes. You then put the bike around a
> pole and it snaps shut. The only way the thief can steal the bike,
> destroys it and it is believed that this will be a big deterrent.

And then the city-workers come along and think it's some kind of
practical joke and cut you frame from the light post.

> I've seen a prototype bike which is being developed in Ireland to deal
> with the perennial problem of bike theft in our cities. The bike itself
> is the lock. Using a key you release a catch which allows the bike to
> split in two, on top and down tubes. You then put the bike around a
> pole and it snaps shut. The only way the thief can steal the bike,
> destroys it and it is believed that this will be a big deterrent.
>
> We'll see.

On 31 Mar 2006 23:42:59 -0800, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've seen a prototype bike which is being developed in Ireland to deal
>with the perennial problem of bike theft in our cities. The bike itself
>is the lock. Using a key you release a catch which allows the bike to
>split in two, on top and down tubes. You then put the bike around a
>pole and it snaps shut. The only way the thief can steal the bike,
>destroys it and it is believed that this will be a big deterrent.
>
>We'll see.

It's a date thing, no?

Per [email protected]:
>The only way the thief can steal the bike,
>destroys it and it is believed that this will be a big deterrent.

In Philadelphia's Center City, I see a lot of bottom-of-the-line bike frames
u-locked to signs and parking meters. Just the frame - no wheels, pedals,
saddle, brakes.... Dunno if it's theft or just people losing their keys and
cutting their losses.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per [email protected]:
>> The only way the thief can steal the bike,
>> destroys it and it is believed that this will be a big deterrent.

> In Philadelphia's Center City, I see a lot of bottom-of-the-line bike
> frames u-locked to signs and parking meters. Just the frame - no
> wheels, pedals, saddle, brakes.... Dunno if it's theft or just
> people losing their keys and cutting their losses.

People can't just lift the bike and lock over the parking meter?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Per Phil, Squid-in-Training:
>People can't just lift the bike and lock over the parking meter?

Philly's meters are wider than a U-lock.
--
PeteCresswell

wrote:

>I've seen a prototype bike which is being developed in Ireland to deal
>with the perennial problem of bike theft in our cities. The bike itself
>is the lock. Using a key you release a catch which allows the bike to
>split in two, on top and down tubes. You then put the bike around a
>pole and it snaps shut. The only way the thief can steal the bike,
>destroys it and it is believed that this will be a big deterrent.
>
>We'll see.

A video of the prototype shows three Irishmen fresh from down the pub
puzzling over the bike. As they try to sort out how to get it
unlocked, a Danish tourist walks up, lifts the bike over the top of
the bollard it was locked around, and rides off. The bike was painted
yellow.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.