or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › is it safe to rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide everyday?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is it safe to rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide everyday?

post #1 of 24
rinsing with this solution(half peroxide/half water) controls some of
the mucus in my mouth.

the bottle says do not exceed use for 7 days.

is it safe to use this solution for rinsing everyday?
post #2 of 24

Re: is it safe to rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide everyday?

marcus johannsen wrote:
> rinsing with this solution(half peroxide/half water) controls some of
> the mucus in my mouth.
>
> the bottle says do not exceed use for 7 days.
>
> is it safe to use this solution for rinsing everyday?

Yes.
post #3 of 24

Rich wrote:
> "marcus johannsen" <marcus_johannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>rinsing with this solution(half peroxide/half water) controls some of
>>the mucus in my mouth.
>>
>>the bottle says do not exceed use for 7 days.
>>
>>is it safe to use this solution for rinsing everyday?
>>

> Rinsing with H2O2 before flossing is an excellent way to prevent gum
> disease. I've been doing it for years with no ill effects.
>
> --Rich

I'd emphasize the flossing, rather than the rinsing.

Steve

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}

Rich wrote:

> Agreed. But when I use the peroxide first, the flossing carries the stuff
> down to where the anaerobes like to hide, and I feel like the flossing is
> doing more. The peroxide also loosens up the crud that I then scrape off my
> tongue.
>
> --Rich

Nothing wrong with it, but there's no magic either. You don't get
enough peroxide down where it needs to be for long enough to really
affect the bacterial flora. The flossing will, of course. The peroxide
may have some mild detergency to it.

Steve

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1507;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Remove
"nospam" to reply\par
}
post #5 of 24

marcus johannsen wrote:

> rinsing with this solution(half peroxide/half water) controls some of
> the mucus in my mouth.
>
> the bottle says do not exceed use for 7 days.
>
> is it safe to use this solution for rinsing everyday?

No!

Why would you want to control the mucus in your mouth?

Chronic use of half peroxide/half water will alter the natural
bacterial balance in your mouth.
post #6 of 24

Rich wrote:
> "Steven Bornfeld" <dentaltwinnospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >

> > Rich wrote:
> >> "marcus johannsen" <marcus_johannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Rinsing with H2O2 before flossing is an excellent way to prevent gum
> >> disease. I've been doing it for years with no ill effects.
> >>
> >> --Rich

> > I'd emphasize the flossing, rather than the rinsing.
> >
> > Steve

> Agreed. But when I use the peroxide first, the flossing carries the stuff
> down to where the anaerobes like to hide, and I feel like the flossing is
> doing more.

COMMENT:

Funny. I have the impression that flossing gets the crud out so the
peroxide can get to the pockets where the bugs like to hide, so IT'S
doing more.

Of course, no doubt that flossing is the best of all things you can do,
and nothing replaces it.

Peroxide may not affect most normal mouth flora, but the smelly
anaerobes just HATE it. For obvious reasons.

SBH
post #7 of 24

Re: is it safe to rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide everyday?

Plain yogurt before you go to bed, then rinse with filtered water. I
pick the stuff out of my teeth as well. Using oxidizing agents can
lead to oral cancers. It is a really stupid thing to do. Oral
surgeons are warning of an "oral cancer epidemic" in a few years due to
all the bleaching that's going on. Unfortunately, many doctors and
scientists just don't understand how dangerous the oxidative stress
that is generated can be.
post #8 of 24

Re: is it safe to rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide everyday?

Instead of worrying about what textbooks say, I read scientific papers
such as the following (I posted this one due to the interest in
hydrogen peroxide). Most people don't realize how many such papers are
completely ignored by the mainstream media, for whatever reason.

Arch Biochem Biophys. 1997 Mar 15;339(2):267-74.

Prolonged oxidative stress on actin.

Milzani A, DalleDonne I, Colombo R.

Laboratory of Biochemistry and Biophysics of Cytoskeletal Structures,
University of Milan, Via Celoria 26, Milan, 20133, Italy.

Hydrogen peroxide, coming from polymorphonuclear leukocytes, causes
severe oxidative injury on actin molecules with the disarrangement of
cortical actin cytoskeleton followed by plasmalemma blebbing. In this
paper we demonstrate that actin oxidation does not simply develop into
denaturation, but oxidative injuries on actin are specific and related
to the chemical characteristics of the oxidant. Experiments on purified
actin in solution have shown that actin behavior to oxidation depends
on (i) the amino acidic targets of the oxidant and (ii) on the
structural plasticity of the actin molecule, which differently responds
to different chemical modifications. Therefore, hydrogen peroxide (that
presents a broad oxidative activity) affects actin dynamics by markedly
inhibiting the assembly of actin monomers, by forcing the disassembly
of actin polymers, and, moreover, by affecting the interaction between
oxidant-stressed actin and DNase I. Diamide (a specific thiol oxidant),
in contrast, mainly lowers the actin polymerization extent, while it
slightly influences the polymerization rate and results uneffective on
both F-actin disassembly and actin-related DNase I inhibition. Actin
response to oxidative stresses likely depends on the "structural
connectivity in actin," the property allowing it to finely modulate the
actin filament architecture. The potential cellular relevance of the
alterations in the interaction between oxidized actin and DNase I has
been briefly discussed.
post #9 of 24

"montygram" <nazztrader@lycos.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Instead of worrying about what textbooks say, I read scientific papers
> such as the following (I posted this one due to the interest in
> hydrogen peroxide). Most people don't realize how many such papers are
> completely ignored by the mainstream media, for whatever reason.
>
> Arch Biochem Biophys. 1997 Mar 15;339(2):267-74.
>
> Prolonged oxidative stress on actin.
>
> Milzani A, DalleDonne I, Colombo R.
>
> Laboratory of Biochemistry and Biophysics of Cytoskeletal Structures,
> University of Milan, Via Celoria 26, Milan, 20133, Italy.

This study is completely irrelevant to the topic.

1)
the actin in this study was prepared out / isolated.
I don't have isolated actin in my mouth (except for that in the meat I
chew), only cells with actin.

2)
its a pure in-vitro experiment with actin (not cells with actin) but without
any antioxidant system.
every cell has an antioxidant system do deal with hydroperoxide quite
efficiently.

3)
incubation time with H2O2 was 24 hours in this study.
how long do you use your "filtered water" when washing your teeth?

... seems like you just randomly picked the first abstract with H2O2 and some
negative effect without reading it.
post #10 of 24

Re: is it safe to rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide everyday?

Correction:
"hydrogenperoxide", not "hydroperoxide"...
post #11 of 24

Mr-Natural-Health wrote:
> marcus johannsen wrote:
>

>>rinsing with this solution(half peroxide/half water) controls some of
>>the mucus in my mouth.
>>
>>the bottle says do not exceed use for 7 days.
>>
>>is it safe to use this solution for rinsing everyday?

> No!
>
> Why would you want to control the mucus in your mouth?
>
> Chronic use of half peroxide/half water will alter the natural
> bacterial balance in your mouth.

Nah, not hardly. It will give your tongue a funny whitish appearance
though.

Steve

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1507;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Remove
"nospam" to reply\par
}
post #12 of 24

Barry wrote:
> I also read some stuff about peroxide helping cancer grow. I'd obey the
> label.
>
> The only mouthwash I use is Biotene, but you'd probably need one with
> alcohol, which might also cause cancer, but at least there's no warning
> about it on the bottles.
>
> Anyway, mucus doesn't come from your mouth. It might end up there, but
> I think you should try to stop excess mucus at the source.

There are plenty of mucous glands in the mouth, esp. the roof of the
mouth and lining the lips.

Steve
--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1507;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Remove
"nospam" to reply\par
}
post #13 of 24

montygram wrote:
> Plain yogurt before you go to bed, then rinse with filtered water. I
> pick the stuff out of my teeth as well. Using oxidizing agents can
> lead to oral cancers. It is a really stupid thing to do. Oral
> surgeons are warning of an "oral cancer epidemic" in a few years due to
> all the bleaching that's going on. Unfortunately, many doctors and
> scientists just don't understand how dangerous the oxidative stress
> that is generated can be.

I'm unaware of any documented serious cancer risks from peroxide
exposure as done in bleaching.
20 years ago there were some anecdotal reports of a risk, and based on
that I held off bleaching literally for years; but as continued use of
bleaches showed no evidence of this, I think it's pretty safe to
conclude that the cancer risk is insignificant.

Steve

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1507;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Remove
"nospam" to reply\par
}
post #14 of 24

montygram wrote:
> Instead of worrying about what textbooks say, I read scientific papers
> such as the following (I posted this one due to the interest in
> hydrogen peroxide). Most people don't realize how many such papers are
> completely ignored by the mainstream media, for whatever reason.

Seems silly to obscess on one in vitro study when there is long in vivo
experience in clinical use.

Steve

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1507;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Remove
"nospam" to reply\par
}
post #15 of 24

Re: is it safe to rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide everyday?

I have read some sources that say you shouldn't use peroxide if you have
metal fillings, due to the reaction that occurs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition