or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm Tired Of These Ungrateful Hurricane Victims - Page 7

post #91 of 231

Re: I'm Tired Of These Ungrateful Hurricane Victims

"Sock Puppet" <Sock_Puppet@mouse-potato.com> wrote in

> On 4-Sep-2005, ReptilesBlade <Reptile89LX@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > 21st century american Christian theology states that financial
>> > rewards in life are based on morality, so rich people are good and
>> > poor people are bad.
>> >

>> You my friend have a very poor understanding of Christian theology. Any
>> wealth achieved with honest hard work, no matter how substantial, is
>> considered good. As long as you are not violating any of the Ten
>> Commandments then you are free to make money in any way you desire.

> I was referring to what is preached in contemporary US evangelical and
> fundamentalist churches with affluent congregations, not what Jesus
> actually said. The two often have very little correlation.

In that case I agree with you completely and I apologize for any confusion
on my end.

--
---
END OF LINE.

"Sock Puppet" <Sock_Puppet@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message

> On 3-Sep-2005, "Bill Sornson" <sornospamni@san.rr.nocomspam> wrote:
>
>> You're dealing with "Buttpacker" (AKA jabario AKA jpoulos and now tiny
>> jim),
>> one of the most hateful, bigoted, hypocritical jerks on all of Usenet.
>> Just
>> so you know.

> Gee, if sornson thinks someone is bad, they must be really terrible.

No, Bill's still well in the "normal" range. JPoulos (etc.) is off the
chart.
There's no point to arguing with misanthropic trolls.
It's like getting into a boxing match with a bag of manure.
post #93 of 231

Re: I'm Tired Of These Ungrateful Hurricane Victims

In article <muJSe.707$I02.71496@news20.bellglobal.com>,
The Wogster <wogsterca@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Sock Puppet wrote:
> > On 4-Sep-2005, The Wogster <wogsterca@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >

> > There should be no aid for rebuilding unless it is done properly. This would
> > mean new structures and utilities designed for surviving hurricane force
> > winds and flooding* with minimal damage and continual occupancy. Flood
> > protection should also be segmental, so a levee breach would only flood a
> > small area - this could be done by raising primary arterials on embankments
> > that are higher than the maximum probable flood level.
> >
> > *Such as many houses built along rivers where the lowest occupied floor is
> > above the 500 year flood stage.
> >

> Louisianna gets a benefit in all this, with so many buildings destroyed,
> in NO they can toughen the building codes, and new structures in NO
> would need to meet the new code. Next time a cat 4+ Hurricane comes
> knocking, they will be better prepared to withstand the problems.

The problems in NO, as far as I can see, had very little to do with
hurricane-proofing the structures. Most of them stood, and stand today.

The problem is they're under several feet of water.

Maybe the new building code should specify hip-waders for the first
floor,

--
Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/
post #94 of 231

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <muJSe.707$I02.71496@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> The Wogster <wogsterca@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>

>>Sock Puppet wrote:
>>
>>>On 4-Sep-2005, The Wogster <wogsterca@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>>

>>>There should be no aid for rebuilding unless it is done properly. This would
>>>mean new structures and utilities designed for surviving hurricane force
>>>winds and flooding* with minimal damage and continual occupancy. Flood
>>>protection should also be segmental, so a levee breach would only flood a
>>>small area - this could be done by raising primary arterials on embankments
>>>that are higher than the maximum probable flood level.
>>>
>>>*Such as many houses built along rivers where the lowest occupied floor is
>>>above the 500 year flood stage.
>>>

>>Louisianna gets a benefit in all this, with so many buildings destroyed,
>>in NO they can toughen the building codes, and new structures in NO
>>would need to meet the new code. Next time a cat 4+ Hurricane comes
>>knocking, they will be better prepared to withstand the problems.

> The problems in NO, as far as I can see, had very little to do with
> hurricane-proofing the structures. Most of them stood, and stand today.
>
> The problem is they're under several feet of water.
>
> Maybe the new building code should specify hip-waders for the first
> floor,

Couple of solutions, one is that the lowest level of structures not be
occupied, so they can simply pump them out, and continue on..... IIRC
typical construction in the southern US is slab on grade, where they
basically dig a shallow footing, then pour concrete into that, and
infill the floor with more concrete. A full basement with footings and
8 foot high concrete walls, would allow a house to have a pump, to pump
out that lowest level.

post #95 of 231

"Suck Poppet" <Suck_Poppet@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message

> Dear Boob the Cow,
>
> The DSL allows me to bother you with more messages.

Pretty good, on a busboy's salary.

I Zoot in your general direction.
post #96 of 231

Jasper Janssen <jasper@jjanssen.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:58:28 -0700, Mark Hickey <mark@habcycles.com>
>wrote:
>
>>FWIW, I was greatly supportive of the RC prior to 9/11, but was
>>disappointed in their underwhelming performance in that particular
>>disaster.

>What exactly were they supposed to do?

Here's an example of a synopsis of the problems that were encountered
raising and distributing money after the 9/11 attacks (from an outside
perspective)...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/september1...798146,00.html

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
post #97 of 231

Neil Brooks <Neil0502@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Mark Hickey <mark@habcycles.com> wrote:
>>"Sock Puppet" <Sock_Puppet@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>>>I agree with Hickey. Lets get the government out of the businesses of
>>>providing roadways, airports/air traffic control, law enforcement, courts,
>>>prisons, military forces, etc. Private citizens/corporations can arrange to
>>>provide all these services as the free market demands them.

>>... and this (and your other pithy one liners) is what passes for
>>logicical political discussion in your world?

>Without regard to his delivery, his point is very well made (why I
>gave you a pass, I'm not quite sure).
>
>You may take from the wallet--via half-trillion dollar tax cuts--but
>you're taking from the 45 million who lack health insurance, the
>children whose schools cannot afford textbooks without corporate
>sponsorship, the country's infrastructure, etc., etc.

.... and the redistribution of that half trillion dollars (since it's
obvious we aren't saving it) will create a LOT of new jobs that will
allow people to get health insurance, and will increase local tax
revenue so schools can afford books (after all, home ownership is at
an all-time high). Our problems with public education in the US
aren't money-related (or they'd be a lead pipe cinch to fix).

My point was that your "my wallet" concept includes the government's
money. Now I don't know about you - but I can do a LOT more good with
$1000 of "my money" (classic definition) than if I give it to Uncle
Sam. Had that $500M tax cut not happened, we'd probably still be in
the post dot-com bubble recession and I'd certainly have less money to
support relief work in NO. The American people are incredibly
generous, especially when they have a few more bucks in "their
wallets" (classic definition).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
post #98 of 231

Re: I'm Tired Of These Ungrateful Hurricane Victims

"Sock Puppet" <Sock_Puppet@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>On 4-Sep-2005, frkrygow@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> > 21st century american Christian theology states that financial rewards
>> > in
>> > life are based on morality, so rich people are good and poor people are
>> > bad.

>> Not in my church.

>Frank must attend one of those heretical liberal churches. Good God Fearing
>FUNDAMENTALISTS and EVANGELICALS know THE TRUTH ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLES
>ROBERTSON, FALWELL AND DOBSON.

I've regularly attended at least a dozen churches in four countries
(due to moves, not "church shopping"), and have never heard anything
even vaguely related to the blather above.

Perhaps you could provide a link to some doctrinal documents that
point out just which churches subscribe to your "policy"?

We'll be waiting breathlessly...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
post #99 of 231

Re: I'm Tired Of These Ungrateful Hurricane Victims

Neil Brooks <Neil0502@yahoo.com> wrote:

>ReptilesBlade <Reptile89LX@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>You my friend have a very poor understanding of Christian theology. Any
>>wealth achieved with honest hard work, no matter how substantial, is
>>considered good. As long as you are not violating any of the Ten
>>Commandments then you are free to make money in any way you desire.

>I just looked at all ten of 'em. Nothing in there about exploiting,
>or abusing, workers -- whether in this country or any other -- or
>about ab-so-lute-ly decimating the planet, or making its inhabitants
>sick in the process.

You shoulda read a bit further.. there are many examples in the bible
about proper treatment of workers... but here's a typical one:

James 5:1 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are
coming upon you! 2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are
moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion
will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You
have heaped up treasure in the last days. 4 Indeed the wages of the
laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out;
and the cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord of
Sabaoth.

>Not much about what I'll call 'ethical business practices' or a social
>conscience, either.
>
>More eclectic sourcing wouldn't hurt....

Hope the above helps...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
post #100 of 231

Re: I'm Tired Of These Ungrateful Hurricane Victims

Mark Hickey <mark@habcycles.com> wrote:

>Neil Brooks <Neil0502@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>ReptilesBlade <Reptile89LX@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>You my friend have a very poor understanding of Christian theology. Any
>>>wealth achieved with honest hard work, no matter how substantial, is
>>>considered good. As long as you are not violating any of the Ten
>>>Commandments then you are free to make money in any way you desire.

>>I just looked at all ten of 'em. Nothing in there about exploiting,
>>or abusing, workers -- whether in this country or any other -- or
>>about ab-so-lute-ly decimating the planet, or making its inhabitants
>>sick in the process.

>You shoulda read a bit further.. there are many examples in the bible

He said Ten Commandments. That's what I read.
post #101 of 231

Bob the Cow wrote:
> "Jasper Janssen" <jasper@jjanssen.org> wrote in message
>
>>If you're unemployed for over a few
>>months, you're also not considered unemployed any longer, which is the
>>true ridiculosity.

> The rule used to be: "You don't work, you don't eat". If you're unemployed
> for over a few months, you'll probably stay unemployed, unless you get a job
> recycling "Help Wanted" ad pages in the newspaper; that'll keep you pretty
> busy.
>
> Taking the chronically unemployed off the list of people unemployed and
> seeking work actually makes sense in a perverse sort of a way.

Governments do that to make the numbers look better, however a better
question isn't whether Joe is employed or not, but how to get Joe
employed, if he isn't. If he is unemployable, how do we get him the
training and skills to get employable, then get him employed.

> People who don't work generally have a scheme that does.

Welfare, serial unemployment collectors, crime, pick one, they work for
the individual, but not always for society.

post #102 of 231

> On 5-Sep-2005, "Boob the Cow" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
>
>> The rule used to be: "You don't work, you don't eat".

> I think we should apply this rule to the physically handicapped and
> mentally
> ill. LET THE ALL WISE AND KNOWING FREE MARKET TAKE CARE OF THEM!

No, let the able-bodied take care of them. My point is that if you CAN
work, and DON'T (notice I didn't say "can't" in the rule above, I said
"don't". The difference will be forever lost on your kind) you aren't
ENTITLED to gifts from people who can work and do, just because you show up
with your hand out.

And just FYI, I work with physically handicapped and mentally ill every day.
Yes. WORK. WITH. They get up, get dressed, and come to WORK. They don't
design rocket ships, and they don't slam-dunk basketballs, but they WORK.
That makes them just as good as anyone else on the jobsite in my estimation,
and that makes them better than people who CAN work but DON'T.
post #103 of 231

"Sick Puppet" <Sick_Puppet@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
> Now government policy is to favor the investor class at the expense of
> wage earners and small businesses.

Blithely ignoring the fact that the era of the 403C and the IRA made "wage
earners" part of "the investor class" in record numbers...

You are missing the Marx somehow.
post #104 of 231

Re: I'm Tired Of These Ungrateful Hurricane Victims

Jaba, I agree with you. These folks thinkn they are entitled to
everything. You can see that in the footage of them with their shooping
carts of loot. I saw ne film clip of a guy knocking down a WalMart
door, big evil Walmart, who, I might add, was the first to offer money
and as of today has offered more than any other company.

Jeese Jackson and Al Sharpton should be encouraging the poor blacks to
maintain good principles instead of their destructive behaviour.
Instead, Al and Jesse will blame Bush. Hmmm. Kinda makes me want to
withhold my donation to the Red Cross.

As far as Bush cutting funding for such things as levees -- as one
poster said, the funding cuts were 2005. Besides, I believe that the
levee is a STATE expense not the responsibiliy of the federal
government. Blame the stae of Louisianna, not Bush.
post #105 of 231

Re: I'm Tired Of These Ungrateful Hurricane Victims

In article <1125968947.516607.18920@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Never Enough Money" <emptyshell@yahoo.com> wrote:

>As far as Bush cutting funding for such things as levees -- as one
>poster said, the funding cuts were 2005. Besides, I believe that the
>levee is a STATE expense not the responsibiliy of the federal
>government. Blame the stae of Louisianna, not Bush.

Comes under the jurisdiction of the Army Corp of Engineers because
it is a navigable waterway (or maybe just attached to it)

--
The difference between being diplomatic and undiplomatic is the
difference between saying "When I look at you time stands still"