Hot Dog Dinner

Dan Abel

Guest
I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not. Some times you just
need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

I got the craving for this. First I had to go to the store to buy some
horseradish mustard. That's what makes this dish for me. For those not
familiar with this, it's nothing fancy, a generic brown mustard with a
little horseradish.

We had been to Costco and bought cheap hot dogs. There were four one
pound packs, 8 dogs to a pack. I used a whole pack (for three of us).
I dumped the hot dogs into an 8" by 8" metal pan. Next I cut up the
cheese to stuff them. Lastly I took 4 pieces of bacon and cut them in
half to make 8. This left them about the same length as the hot dogs.
I precooked the bacon in the microwave until it was fairly limp. I
heated the oven. Then I cut slits in the hot dogs. The slits didn't go
to the ends, or all the way through. I stuffed cheese into the slits.
I then laid a piece of bacon on top of each hot dog. I stuck a
toothpick through each end of the bacon to secure it to the hot dog.
Otherwise the bacon twists off as it cooks. Into the oven until the
bacon gets a little crisp, maybe 20 minutes.

I served this with fried potatoes and a few grape tomatoes.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

On Sun 02 Apr 2006 10:11:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?

> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not. Some times you just
> need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.
>
> I got the craving for this. First I had to go to the store to buy some
> horseradish mustard. That's what makes this dish for me. For those not
> familiar with this, it's nothing fancy, a generic brown mustard with a
> little horseradish.
>
> We had been to Costco and bought cheap hot dogs. There were four one
> pound packs, 8 dogs to a pack. I used a whole pack (for three of us).
> I dumped the hot dogs into an 8" by 8" metal pan. Next I cut up the
> cheese to stuff them. Lastly I took 4 pieces of bacon and cut them in
> half to make 8. This left them about the same length as the hot dogs.
> I precooked the bacon in the microwave until it was fairly limp. I
> heated the oven. Then I cut slits in the hot dogs. The slits didn't go
> to the ends, or all the way through. I stuffed cheese into the slits.
> I then laid a piece of bacon on top of each hot dog. I stuck a
> toothpick through each end of the bacon to secure it to the hot dog.
> Otherwise the bacon twists off as it cooks. Into the oven until the
> bacon gets a little crisp, maybe 20 minutes.
>
> I served this with fried potatoes and a few grape tomatoes.

On the other end of the hot dog spectrum, we had grilled Hebrew National
97% fat free all beef hot dogs, along with a mixture of brown mustard,
onion, and relish, and a side of slow-fried sauerkraut. Pretty tasty for a
low-fat meal.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

I've been lurking around here for a while and appreciate the varied
ideas shared.

Currently my husband and I are sailing the West Coast of Mexico and
creative cooking is essential. A few nights ago a friend came over for
a visit and cocktail hour quickly turned into the dinner hour. None of
us wanted to disturb the conversation by going to a restaurant but I
knew we didn't have much in the galley to serve our guest. Not to
worry sez me hubbin' (aka ships cook) and he went to work while
Bonnie and I continued our conversation while watching the sunset on
deck.

When dinner was served we enjoyed a hearty fair of extra large hot dogs
(made out of who knows what) a creamy blend of four cheese pasta (mix
from a bag) and canned peas. Served with candle light the flavor was
great and the conversation was memorable.

Barbara
s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

On Sun 02 Apr 2006 11:46:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ladysailor?

> I've been lurking around here for a while and appreciate the varied
> ideas shared.
>
> Currently my husband and I are sailing the West Coast of Mexico and
> creative cooking is essential. A few nights ago a friend came over for
> a visit and cocktail hour quickly turned into the dinner hour. None of
> us wanted to disturb the conversation by going to a restaurant but I
> knew we didn't have much in the galley to serve our guest. Not to
> worry sez me hubbin' (aka ships cook) and he went to work while
> Bonnie and I continued our conversation while watching the sunset on
> deck.
>
> When dinner was served we enjoyed a hearty fair of extra large hot dogs
> (made out of who knows what) a creamy blend of four cheese pasta (mix
> from a bag) and canned peas. Served with candle light the flavor was
> great and the conversation was memorable.
>
> Barbara
> s/v Arabella
> www.sailinglinks.com

Sounds like a fun time and a nice meal!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Dan Abel wrote:
> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not. Some times you just
> need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.
>
> I got the craving for this. First I had to go to the store to buy
> some horseradish mustard. That's what makes this dish for me. For
> those not familiar with this, it's nothing fancy, a generic brown
> mustard with a little horseradish.

Not going to shame you... I happen to like the occasional Bryan corn dog;
you can buy them frozen and nuke them. No mustard, please. It's a shame,
really :) This occurs about once a year.

Jill

On Mon 03 Apr 2006 06:36:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not.

> Purgatory for you, Kid. "-)
>
>> Some times you just need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

>> I served this with fried potatoes and a few grape tomatoes.

> Buns for the dogs?

Dunno about Dan, but I rarely eat hot dogs on buns, except for chili dogs
which I eat with knife and fork. I find hot dogs with all their toppings far
too messy to pick up.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Dan Abel <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted news:dabel-
[email protected]:

> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not. Some times you just
> need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

I love hot dogs now and then. I've got a grill pan which makes those nice
crusty marks on them. I like mine with chopped onion and plain old yellow
mustard. I also like french fries with mine.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin

In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not.

Purgatory for you, Kid. "-)

> Some times you just need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

> I served this with fried potatoes and a few grape tomatoes.

Buns for the dogs?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

In article <[email protected]>, Wayne
Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
> On the other end of the hot dog spectrum, we had grilled Hebrew National
> 97% fat free all beef hot dogs, along with a mixture of brown mustard,
> onion, and relish, and a side of slow-fried sauerkraut. Pretty tasty for a
> low-fat meal.

To add a twist to this, in the UK, Tesco, and ASDA/Walmart sell
vegetarian dogs in the frozen and fresh veggie ready meals sections.

They are real good. I'm not a veggie, but I actually prefer them to
frozen meat hotdogs.
I usually chop them and add them to cooked pasta with a nice cherry
tomato sauce, or even gently warm them, chop them up and add to boiled
macaroni with a garlic and herb softcheese to make a warm pasta salad.
--
Carl Robson
Car PC Build starts again. http://smallr.com/rz

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Dan Abel <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
> news:dabel- [email protected]:
>
>> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not. Some times you just
>> need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

> I love hot dogs now and then. I've got a grill pan which makes those
> nice crusty marks on them. I like mine with chopped onion and plain
> old yellow mustard. I also like french fries with mine.
>
> Michael

Oh yeah! No boiled hot dogs for me! Grilled (inside in a grill pan or
outside on a grill). Every once in a while, hot dogs sure hit the spot!

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not. Some times you just
> need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

Why be ashamed? Food does not have to be fancy or expensive to be good.
I do something similar once in a while - hot dogs on buns with kraut and
mustard, memories of NY City.

But why use cheap hot dogs? Perhaps they are part of your memories. Try
Boars Head or Dietz & Watson for a real treat.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 06:36:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
> Jammin'?
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not.

> > Purgatory for you, Kid. "-)
> >
> >> Some times you just need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

> >> I served this with fried potatoes and a few grape tomatoes.

> > Buns for the dogs?

> Dunno about Dan, but I rarely eat hot dogs on buns, except for chili dogs
> which I eat with knife and fork. I find hot dogs with all their toppings

far
> too messy to pick up.

Good foot long chili dogs require a knife, fork, oyster crackers and paper
towels!
Sometimes a spoon.

Cheers

Hubert

In article <[email protected]>,
Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not.

> Purgatory for you, Kid. "-)
>
> > Some times you just need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

> > I served this with fried potatoes and a few grape tomatoes.

> Buns for the dogs?

Nope, no buns. Just knife and fork. Cut a bite, dip in mustard and
insert in mouth.

I almost always have my hot dogs in a bun, but we never ate these in
buns as a kid.

Like Wayne, I prefer eating my chili dogs on a plate with a fork (but in
a bun).

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 06:36:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
> Jammin'?
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> I know I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not.

> > Purgatory for you, Kid. "-)
> >
> >> Some times you just need that comfort food that you ate as a kid.

> >> I served this with fried potatoes and a few grape tomatoes.

> > Buns for the dogs?

> Dunno about Dan, but I rarely eat hot dogs on buns, except for chili dogs
> which I eat with knife and fork. I find hot dogs with all their toppings far
> too messy to pick up.

What I sometimes do is take two of those 97% fat free Hebrew national
hot dogs and slice them up, then throw them in a hot pan and let them
sizzle for a couple of minutes, then I throw in a small can of baked
beans and stir and let it simmer until its nice and bubbly hot! Its a
reasonably healthy, low fat dinner that one can make in a hurry. The 97%
fat free hot dogs taste very good too.

On Mon 03 Apr 2006 09:57:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Stan
Horwitz?

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon 03 Apr 2006 06:36:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
>> Jammin'?

>> > Purgatory for you, Kid. "-)

>> > Buns for the dogs?

>> Dunno about Dan, but I rarely eat hot dogs on buns, except for chili
>> dogs which I eat with knife and fork. I find hot dogs with all their
>> toppings far too messy to pick up.

> What I sometimes do is take two of those 97% fat free Hebrew national
> hot dogs and slice them up, then throw them in a hot pan and let them
> sizzle for a couple of minutes, then I throw in a small can of baked
> beans and stir and let it simmer until its nice and bubbly hot! Its a
> reasonably healthy, low fat dinner that one can make in a hurry. The 97%
> fat free hot dogs taste very good too.

Thanks, Stan. I'll try that.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

I'm curious, why do you like Boars Head dogs? They are so puny you must
use two of them per bun. Not to mention they cost about 3 times what they
out to! I'd rather get a Hebrew National.