or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

post #1 of 14
Can anyone suggest why all of a sudden I can't get Anquet to start up
on my PC? I think I last used it about a month ago. I've just tried to
start it this evening, though, and it simply won't start. Nothing
happened when I clicked on the icon on the desktop, so I went to the
..exe file via Explorer and clicked on that, but there was no response.

I've re-booted, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with anything
else starting? Any ideas, please? (I'll write to Anquet, but in the
meantime I wonder whether anyone knows what's happening.)

Many TIA for any help.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"We cannot let terrorists or rogue nations hold this nation hostile, or
hold our allies hostile."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
post #2 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

Peewiglet wrote:

> Can anyone suggest why all of a sudden I can't get Anquet to start up
> on my PC? I think I last used it about a month ago. I've just tried to
> start it this evening, though, and it simply won't start. Nothing
> happened when I clicked on the icon on the desktop, so I went to the
> .exe file via Explorer and clicked on that, but there was no response.
>
> I've re-booted, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with anything
> else starting? Any ideas, please? (I'll write to Anquet, but in the
> meantime I wonder whether anyone knows what's happening.)
>
> Many TIA for any help.
>
> Best wishes,

Try running the file from the command line and see if it prints out any
error messages from there.

AND

Delete files in your c:\windows\temp file and try again. God, it has been so
long since I used MS Software!

I have a feeling that Anquet may say this: "Delete the contents of c
\windows\temp and uninstall the program, then reinstall"
post #3 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:58:55 +0100, Michael Thompson
<mike@thompsonmike.co.uk> wrote:

>Peewiglet wrote:
>
>> Can anyone suggest why all of a sudden I can't get Anquet to start up
>> on my PC? I think I last used it about a month ago. I've just tried to
>> start it this evening, though, and it simply won't start. Nothing
>> happened when I clicked on the icon on the desktop, so I went to the
>> .exe file via Explorer and clicked on that, but there was no response.
>>
>> I've re-booted, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with anything
>> else starting? Any ideas, please? (I'll write to Anquet, but in the
>> meantime I wonder whether anyone knows what's happening.)
>>
>> Many TIA for any help.
>>
>> Best wishes,

>Try running the file from the command line and see if it prints out any
>error messages from there.
>
>AND
>
>Delete files in your c:\windows\temp file and try again. God, it has been so
>long since I used MS Software!
>
>I have a feeling that Anquet may say this: "Delete the contents of c
>\windows\temp and uninstall the program, then reinstall"

Many thanks, Michael! I'll try those this evening.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Is our children learning?"
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
post #4 of 14

Peewiglet wrote:

> Can anyone suggest why all of a sudden I can't get Anquet to start up
> on my PC? I think I last used it about a month ago. I've just tried to
> start it this evening, though, and it simply won't start. Nothing
> happened when I clicked on the icon on the desktop, so I went to the
> .exe file via Explorer and clicked on that, but there was no response.
>
> I've re-booted, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with anything
> else starting? Any ideas, please? (I'll write to Anquet, but in the
> meantime I wonder whether anyone knows what's happening.)
>
> Many TIA for any help.
>
> Best wishes,

I did try and see if I could find the answer on the Anquet Website, but alas
it is locked down so tight, you need a CD product key to even look in the
FAQ!

Dont know about anyone else, but I like to have a nosey at the Support
pages, FAQ etc before I buy software:

1.) Compatible?
2.) Any known problems I may face?

Etc, forwarned is forarmed! Tonto Away!!!!

I need sleep. Goodnight!
post #5 of 14

Peewiglet" <pw@theretreadplant.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest why all of a sudden I can't get Anquet to start up
> on my PC? I think I last used it about a month ago. I've just tried to
> start it this evening, though, and it simply won't start. Nothing
> happened when I clicked on the icon on the desktop, so I went to the
> .exe file via Explorer and clicked on that, but there was no response.
>
> I've re-booted, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with anything
> else starting? Any ideas, please? (I'll write to Anquet, but in the
> meantime I wonder whether anyone knows what's happening.)
>
> Many TIA for any help.
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> ,,
> (**)PeeWiglet~~

Have you changed your screen res or bit depth at all recently? Some apps are
fussy about what setting they will work with.
Just a thought.....
--
Dave Lawrance
http://www.davelawrance.co.uk

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

> I did try and see if I could find the answer on the Anquet Website, but
> alas
> it is locked down so tight, you need a CD product key to even look in the
> FAQ!
>
> Dont know about anyone else, but I like to have a nosey at the Support
> pages, FAQ etc before I buy software:

A bit puzzled by this Peewiglet.

Suggests you haven't either registered or registered incorrectly. If the
product is registered, then all you need to log in is your email address and
password for the FAQ.

Sounds like activation lock-out from your description.

Jhimmy.
post #7 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:21:30 GMT, "Jhimmy" <Cobalt_blueuk@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>A bit puzzled by this Peewiglet.

Me too :-)

>Suggests you haven't either registered or registered incorrectly. If the
>product is registered, then all you need to log in is your email address and
>password for the FAQ.

I don't think it can be that, as I've been using it for a year or so
without a problem. I've got a Harveys Lakes and GB North, and I
registered them both a long time ago.

>Sounds like activation lock-out from your description.

Hmmm... well it certainly shouldn't be that. I double-clicked on the
file in Explorer, but nothing happened.

I'll try the suggestion that was made this morning, and report back.

Thanks for helping

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
This signature was made by SigChanger.
You can find SigChanger at: http://www.phranc.nl/
post #8 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:35:01 +0200, "theo" <theoGeenSpam@planet.nl>
wrote:

>Haven't got a clue otherwise. Did you install new anti-virussoftware or
>something like that ?

Actually.... not AV software, but I did install several new
anti-trojan/spyware programmes since I last used it. I wonder whether
that might be it?

>Instead of writing to Anquet it's better to email them with details. They'll
>respond quickly IME. Also check the FAQ on their website.

Apolog's - I meant write in email. I was rarely able to get organised
enough to send a letter in the old days, when it involved (i) paper
(ii) writing it out (iii) envelope (iv) stamp and (v) posting. What a
palaver! :-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Will the highways on the internet become more few?."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
This signature was made by SigChanger.
You can find SigChanger at: http://www.phranc.nl/
post #9 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:32:29 +0100, "Dave Lawrance"
<dave@REMOVETHISfirst-contact.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Have you changed your screen res or bit depth at all recently? Some apps are
>fussy about what setting they will work with.
>Just a thought.....

All suggestions very welcome - many thanks. I've not actually done
that, but it's probably something equally daft that I've overlooked.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
/ \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

"Will the highways on the internet become more few?."
g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
This signature was made by SigChanger.
You can find SigChanger at: http://www.phranc.nl/
post #10 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

Peewiglet <pw@theretreadplant.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:35:01 +0200, "theo" <theoGeenSpam@planet.nl>
>wrote:
>

>>Haven't got a clue otherwise. Did you install new anti-virussoftware or
>>something like that ?

>Actually.... not AV software, but I did install several new
>anti-trojan/spyware programmes since I last used it. I wonder whether
>that might be it?

I don't use Anquet but -

Start - Run - msconfig

allows you to review and temporarily disable startup programmes for
diagnosis, at least, that's on my ancient Windows 98 ! (if it works
why upgrade?!)

If that doesn't work I'd uninstall and reinstall, assuming you can
afford to lose any configuration options.

Daytona
post #11 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

Couple of suggestions in order of preference:-

1. If you're running XP then use the restore option to put your PC back to
an earlier date - you don't lose emails etc but you will lose any new
programs installed subsequent to the date you restore back to.

2. Download and install the latest Anquet update from their website. You'll
need to log in and go to the support page to find the update - the latest
version is 1.2.20.

Good luck!

"Peewiglet" <pw@theretreadplant.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest why all of a sudden I can't get Anquet to start up
> on my PC? I think I last used it about a month ago. I've just tried to
> start it this evening, though, and it simply won't start. Nothing
> happened when I clicked on the icon on the desktop, so I went to the
> .exe file via Explorer and clicked on that, but there was no response.
>
> I've re-booted, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with anything
> else starting? Any ideas, please? (I'll write to Anquet, but in the
> meantime I wonder whether anyone knows what's happening.)
>
> Many TIA for any help.
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> ,,
> (**)PeeWiglet~~
> / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk
>
> "We cannot let terrorists or rogue nations hold this nation hostile, or
> hold our allies hostile."
> g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
post #12 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

Have you done all this stuff?? - (From the Anquet Support FAQ pages)

With our most recent agreement with the Ordnance Survey, we have been
requested to include a registration scheme to help combat piracy.

There is a 30 day grace period after software installation during which the
product works normally. After that period the product will no longer work
unless it is unlocked. To unlock your products, please follow the steps
below.

Obtaining your QCode

Once you have installed your product you will be able to get your QCode from
the software. This QCode is paired to you computer and your License Code. To
obtain the QCode select the Tools, Unlock Products... option. If a QCode is
not displayed for a given product please highlight the product and press the
Fix button.

Obtaining your ACode

For each installed product, you will need to obtain an ACode from Anquet
Technology that matches the paired License Code and QCode for that product.
Follow the steps below for each of your products:

.. Select the Tools, Unlock Products... option.

.. Note down the paired Licence code and QCode for each product listed.

.. Using a computer with an internet connection (it doesn't have to be the
same computer as the one on which the product is installed) access
www.anquet.co.uk/unlock.html.On this web page you can either register your
products or unlock then without registering. Follow the instructions on the
website to obtain an ACode for each product.

If you are unable to access the webpage, please complete the form in the
help text in the registration section and return it to us by post.

Unlocking your products

It is only possible to unlock a given product on a single machine, in
accordance with the End User License Agreement which can be viewed inside
the help text within Anquet.

.. Select the Tools, Unlock Products... option.

.. Highlight a product to unlock from the displayed list and click the
Unlock button.

.. Enter your ACode into the box and click OK to unlock the product.

.. Repeat the above steps to unlock any additional products you have
obtained ACodes for.

I have unlocked my all products but Anquet says I still need to unlock a
disk

There are some situations where installing older green (boxed products),
installing version 1.2.9 or later and then uninstalling the older product
can leave Anquet Maps believing that the old product is still installed.
This will cause the 'You have a product that needs to be unlocked' message
box to appear when you start Anquet Maps. Anquet Maps will otherwise run
completely normally. The product will be incorrectly listed in the following
places: The About box in Anquet Maps, the Unlock Products screen in Anquet
Maps and in the WebUnlock Tool.

You can use the Forced Uninstall Tool which can be found on the tools page.

How do I re-unlock my maps?

.. Open Anquet and get your new QCode. (On the PC you are
unlocking)

o Go to the tools menu at the top.

o Select unlock products.

If there is no QCode click the Fix button.

o Write down the QCode.

.. Go to our website. www.anquet.co.uk (On any PC)

o Click support at the top of the page.

o Login using the green box at the top left.

o Click the registration / unlock link at the top of the page.

o Your product should already be listed.

If not you can register it in the box at the bottom of the page.

o Next to it click the unlock link.

o Enter your QCode when asked.

o If asked why you need a new ACode fill in as appropriate.

o Write down the new ACode

.. Open Anquet and input your new ACode (On the PC you are
unlocking)

o Go to the tools menu at the top.

o Select unlock products.

o Select the product from the list.

o Click the unlock button.

Automatic unlocking

This requires the map manager and a version of Anquet greater that 1.2.16

.. Install the latest version of Anquet.

.. Go to www.anquet.co.uk

.. Click the support link at the top of the page.

.. Login using the green box on the left.

.. Click the software updates link at the top.

.. Click the tools link on the right hand side

.. Download the map manager.

.. Extract / unzip the downloaded file.

.. Double click the MapManager.msi file to start the install.

.. Close Anquet and run the map manager.

.. Click the third tab along.

.. Left click on the product you wish to unlock.

.. Connect to the internet.

.. Click the auto unlock button.

"Peewiglet" <pw@theretreadplant.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest why all of a sudden I can't get Anquet to start up
> on my PC? I think I last used it about a month ago. I've just tried to
> start it this evening, though, and it simply won't start. Nothing
> happened when I clicked on the icon on the desktop, so I went to the
> .exe file via Explorer and clicked on that, but there was no response.
>
> I've re-booted, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with anything
> else starting? Any ideas, please? (I'll write to Anquet, but in the
> meantime I wonder whether anyone knows what's happening.)
>
> Many TIA for any help.
>
> Best wishes,
> --
> ,,
> (**)PeeWiglet~~
> / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk
>
> "We cannot let terrorists or rogue nations hold this nation hostile, or
> hold our allies hostile."
> g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com
post #13 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:20:42 GMT, "George Muter"
<gmassoc@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>2. Download and install the latest Anquet update from their website. You'll
>need to log in and go to the support page to find the update - the latest
>version is 1.2.20.

Ahaaa!

<fx: nips across with kiss for George>

That's solved the problem! :-))

Now that I think back, I have a vague memory of having possibly
uninstalled a demo version since I last used the programme. Perhaps
that took away something important? Anyway, it's working now. Thank
you very much :-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

//SigChanger V2.1.0 - Variable signatures
post #14 of 14

Re: Weird! Anquet won't start - any ideas?

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:10:00 +0100, Daytona <me@privacy.net> wrote:

Many thanks for helping , Daytona. I decided to try installing the
latest version first, and that seems to have sorted it out. I
appreciate your help, though! It's a major pain the neck when things
suddenly won't start! :-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."
g.w.AT[guessthisbit].com
This signature was made by SigChanger.
You can find SigChanger at: http://www.phranc.nl/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: