Re: Advice on walking shoes

Alan Dicey

Guest
The only thing I would add to the good advice above is that you might
want to experiment with sock combinations to find the right one for you.
I would certainly recommend that you try two-sock combinations, if you
don't use two already, sizing the shoes to fit of course.

The construction of the socks matters as well - I find Thor-lo's to be
excellent in relieving my older (and so less well-padded) feet from
aches the next day.

I have been using two pairs of socks from very early in my walking
career, having found that it works for me - longer internal ones that
move with my feet, shorter (cheap wool mix) ones that move with the
boot/shoe. The Thor-lo's are used next to the skin.

But at the end of the day it is what works for you. Just remember that
it is another variable in the foot comfort equation :)

Alan Dicey wrote:
> The only thing I would add to the good advice above is that you might
> want to experiment with sock combinations to find the right one for you.
> I would certainly recommend that you try two-sock combinations, if you
> don't use two already, sizing the shoes to fit of course.

With good modern socks I actually prefer one pair to two. I used to
walk in two pairs as that was what you did back then, and with boots
sized accordingly that was what fitted best, but these days 1 pair of
something like Thor-Los or Bridgedales is what I find works best.

> But at the end of the day it is what works for you. Just remember that
> it is another variable in the foot comfort equation :)

Good advice!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK