HELP anybody: muscle spasms, deep breathing, irregular heart beat, sleep, myoclonus

anita

Guest
Hello,
I suppose I am becoming a pest. I am still continuing to have sleep
problems. Not related to thyroid or anxiety. they gave me Lorazepam,
alprazolam, Xanax. nothing stopped it.

I have these problems when I try to nap during the day, it also happens
during the night sometimes, but mainly a day time phenomena
(Why u ask - do I sleep during the day, I feel very sleepy.)

These are the sequences of events:

Frist
1. Feeling sleepy,
2. Start to doze
3. Muscle spasms in my throat (not always30% of the time)
4. Pounding of heart, skipped jumping beats (not always- 30% of the time)
5. sometimes involuntary jerks or hands or a leg (my doc called it
myoclonus) or an abrupt closure of something in my throat (this will cause a
gasp) (50% of the time)
6. then Deep breathing and deep exhales (100% of the time)
7. Flushing feeling in my upper body accompanies deep breathing event about
75% of the time
7. Wide awake feeling (done necessarily open my eyes)...(100% of the time)
8. In a few seconds feel sleepy again and cycle starts to repeat.

IT GOES AWAY COMPLETELY WHEN I AM AWAKE
I dont always have muscle spasms and pounding of heart- absent. Especially
when I wake up. I only experience these deep breathing fits. But I am NOT
anxious or panicky or anything of that sort.

anita

weird sleep problems- apr 2003
diagnosed
with hashimotos- may 2003
with papillary thyroid cancaer with lymph node mets - june 2003

anita wrote:

> Hello,
> I suppose I am becoming a pest. I am still continuing to have sleep
> problems. Not related to thyroid or anxiety. they gave me Lorazepam,
> alprazolam, Xanax. nothing stopped it.
>
> I have these problems when I try to nap during the day, it also happens
> during the night sometimes, but mainly a day time phenomena
> (Why u ask - do I sleep during the day, I feel very sleepy.)
>
> These are the sequences of events:
>
> Frist
> 1. Feeling sleepy,
> 2. Start to doze
> 3. Muscle spasms in my throat (not always30% of the time)
> 4. Pounding of heart, skipped jumping beats (not always- 30% of the time)
> 5. sometimes involuntary jerks or hands or a leg (my doc called it
> myoclonus) or an abrupt closure of something in my throat (this will cause a
> gasp) (50% of the time)
> 6. then Deep breathing and deep exhales (100% of the time)
> 7. Flushing feeling in my upper body accompanies deep breathing event about
> 75% of the time
> 7. Wide awake feeling (done necessarily open my eyes)...(100% of the time)
> 8. In a few seconds feel sleepy again and cycle starts to repeat.
>
> IT GOES AWAY COMPLETELY WHEN I AM AWAKE
> I dont always have muscle spasms and pounding of heart- absent. Especially
> when I wake up. I only experience these deep breathing fits. But I am NOT
> anxious or panicky or anything of that sort.
>
> anita
>
> weird sleep problems- apr 2003
> diagnosed
> with hashimotos- may 2003
> with papillary thyroid cancaer with lymph node mets - june 2003

Sounds like a "sleep study" might help your doctors figure out what is the
matter for you.

Humbly,

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

Hello Dr,

> Sounds like a "sleep study" might help your doctors figure out what is the
> matter for you.

I did have a sleep study when the problems started. They said I did
not have apnea. Essentially normal is what they called it.
But my issue is that is happens WHEN I try to fall asleep, and once I
am asleep, I am quite nicely asleep. It is worse during daytime naps
and seldom happens (when it started it happened even at night) when
falling asleep at night.

Could my tumor pressing against the nerves in my neck possibly be
causing my symptoms ?

Thanks
Anita