The Kemmelberg

Forgot to add that the short video clip also includes the steep cobbled descent that the Pro peloton
decided was too dangerous to do during the 3 days of De panne back in spring this year !

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in @phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> http://users.pandora.be/phil.stone/Kemmelberg.wmv It may take a few minutes to download as its
> on a Belgium server but if your interested to
see
> what it actually looks like to ride over this Belgium climb it maybe worth waiting for.

Cool video -- it's silent. Who is the rider? And why is he wearing the odd combination of
short-sleeved jersey and leg warmers?

Thanks.

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2kkdb.605770$uu5.98972@sccrnsc04...

> why is he wearing the odd combination of short-sleeved jersey and leg warmers?

I'm curious: why do you find this an odd combination? Call me old school, but I like having my legs
warm - I therefore often wear knee/leg warmers along with a short-sleeved jersey.

Andy Coggan

news:D[email protected]...
> "Ken Papai" <.com> wrote in message news:2kkdb.605770$uu5.98972@sccrnsc04...
> >
> > why is he wearing the odd combination of short-sleeved jersey and leg warmers?
>
> I'm curious: why do you find this an odd combination? Call me old school, but I like having my
> legs warm - I therefore often wear knee/leg warmers along with a short-sleeved jersey.

It s super odd to me to be wearing leg warmers and shortsleeve jersey. Just the opposite is normal
for me. Your arms get cold since they don't move much.

-Ken

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
> > "Ken Papai" <.com> wrote in message news:2kkdb.605770$uu5.98972@sccrnsc04...
> > >
> > > why is he wearing the odd combination of short-sleeved jersey and leg warmers?
> >
> > I'm curious: why do you find this an odd combination? Call me old school, but I like having my
> > legs warm - I therefore often wear knee/leg warmers along with a short-sleeved jersey.
>
> It s super odd to me to be wearing leg warmers and shortsleeve jersey. Just the opposite is normal
> for me. Your arms get cold since they don't move much.

Consider the case when there is a rapid change in temperature - from cold to warm. You start out
with both arm and leg warmers.

This happens to me alot in the winter in the morning: once the sun gets up high enough, it can go
from low 40s to upper 50s due to difference in terrain (climbing up out of a cold damp shady valley
into direct sunlight, for example). So the issue is cooling yourself off, rather than trying to stay
warm. It stands to reason that taking off your arm warmers is alot easier than taking off your
tights or leg warmers without having to slow down (or get off the bicycle altogether).

Taking off leg warmers without stopping isn't too bad, but not fun when going uphill. The trick,
I've found, is to bunch each leg warmer down around the arch of your foot while still clipped in;
the secret being getting them past the heel *prior* to clipping out.

-Gerard

> > It s super odd to me to be wearing leg warmers and shortsleeve jersey. Just the opposite is
> > normal for me. Your arms get cold since they don't move much.

The rider is me & I`ve got leg warmers on simply because I stopped racing a few weeks ago & now have
really hairy legs ! (is this sad or what !) The video was made last weekend & filmed by my wife
(which wants another child so will do anything for me lol heheheh so if any of you got any great
male contraception tips fire away !)

Phil www.turbovids.net

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:06:50 GMT, Phil wrote:
> video was made last weekend & filmed by my wife (which wants another child so will do anything for
> me lol heheheh so if any of you got any great male contraception tips fire away !)

Calling your wife which.

You mean "a witch !" (simple phonetic Flemish - crazy illogical English grammar) this may work but
then I wont be able to get her to film me doing the tour of Flanders climbs when its sunny (its too
cloudy today look outside). Thinking about this I better go get a ride in or I will be too fat to
star in any more movies anyway !

Groet Phil www.turbovids.net

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:06:50 GMT, Phil wrote:
> > video was made last weekend & filmed by my wife (which wants another
child
> > so will do anything for me lol heheheh so if any of you got any great
male
> > contraception tips fire away !)
>
> Calling your wife which.

Ok its raining (I even got all my kit on ) so I've made a new longish 4minute long clip of that
Belgium race I videoed with the helmet camera last year.

I had no filter for the lens so there is some sun glare & the sound is pure from the DV tape so
you may want to turn down the volume as there is a fair bit of wind noise.

Im about mid way back in the bunch which is getting lined out in the wind & turns if you look
carefully you can just see gaps opening ahead (you will also see gaps open every corner I take !)
with the wind sound you can really feel like your in the race.

http://users.pandora.be/phil.stone/Race2002.wmv

Phil www.turbovids.net

"Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Ken Papai" <.com> writes:
>
> > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:D[email protected]...

> > > I'm curious: why do you find this an odd combination? Call me old
school,
> > > but I like having my legs warm - I therefore often wear knee/leg
warmers
> > > along with a short-sleeved jersey.
> >
> > It s super odd to me to be wearing leg warmers and shortsleeve jersey. Just the opposite is
> > normal for me. Your arms get cold since they don't move much.
>
> Consider the case when there is a rapid change in temperature - from cold to warm. You start out
> with both arm and leg warmers.
>
> This happens to me alot in the winter in the morning: once the sun gets up high enough, it can go
> from low 40s to upper 50s due to difference in terrain (climbing up out of a cold damp shady
> valley into direct sunlight, for example). So the issue is cooling yourself

Excellent explanation which I hadn't considered.

> off, rather than trying to stay warm. It stands to reason that taking off your arm warmers is alot
> easier than taking off your tights or leg warmers without having to slow down (or get off the
> bicycle altogether).
>
> Taking off leg warmers without stopping isn't too bad, but not fun when going uphill. The trick,
> I've found, is to bunch each leg warmer down around the arch of your foot while still clipped in;
> the secret being getting them past the heel *prior* to clipping out.

My answer: knee warmers. Leg warmers only when it's REALLY cold or rainy and cold. Knee warmers sort
of easy to remove while rolling.

-Ken

"Phil" <[email protected]...
> Ok its raining (I even got all my kit on ) so I've made a new longish 4minute long clip of that
> Belgium race I videoed with the helmet camera
last
> year.
>
> I had no filter for the lens so there is some sun glare & the sound is
> pure from the DV tape so you may want to turn down the volume as there is
> fair bit of wind noise. Im about mid way back in the bunch which is getting lined out in the wind
&
> turns if you look carefully you can just see gaps opening ahead (you will also see gaps open every
> corner I take !) with the wind sound you can
really
> feel like your in the race.
>
> http://users.pandora.be/phil.stone/Race2002.wmv

SUPPERB Phil! Better than videos from motos.

Thanks.

"Phil" <[email protected]> writes:

> Ok its raining (I even got all my kit on ) so I've made a new longish 4minute long clip of that
> Belgium race I videoed with the helmet camera last year.
>
> I had no filter for the lens so there is some sun glare & the sound is pure from the DV tape so
> you may want to turn down the volume as there is a fair bit of wind noise.
>
> Im about mid way back in the bunch which is getting lined out in the wind & turns if you look
> carefully you can just see gaps opening ahead (you will also see gaps open every corner I take !)
> with the wind sound you can really feel like your in the race.
>
> http://users.pandora.be/phil.stone/Race2002.wmv
>
> Phil www.turbovids.net

Phil -

I recognize this course from one the other videos on your web site ("Belgium Kermesse"). Is this
footage from the same race, or a different one?

You do get gapped once or twice in this race, but not nearly as bad or as many times as the other
race. The pace seems a little slower.

Great stuff, thanks for posting the link.

-Gerard

Phil wrote:

> so will do anything for me lol heheheh so if any of you got any great male contraception tips
> fire away !)

Let your wife find you in bed with the 19-year old waitress from the cafe and you won't be fathering
anything for a few years...

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok its raining (I even got all my kit on ) so I've made a new longish 4minute long clip of that
> Belgium race I videoed with the helmet camera
last
> year.

Great stuff Phil! Need a volunteer for the helmet cam ? ;-)

cheers, Jeff

erik saunders <[email protected]> wrote:
> that video is the coolest thing that i have seen in a LONG time!... it takes me back to the days
> when i used to race races like that... races with charm and character...

> what equipment do you use to film clips like that?... i want to film races with a helmet
> cam too!...

Here's one approach:

http://www.hanskellner.com/videos/

The first time I saw this setup, I thought "Why is that guy wearing a helmet light in a 'cross
race?" Doh!

I use the same kit as that guy (I use a Canon DV) I also have a small mike, I quit racing a month
ago but may race again this week if the weather is good & try making a new video.

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3f78b67e@darkstar...
> erik saunders <[email protected]> wrote:
> > that video is the coolest thing that i have seen in a LONG time!... it takes me back to the days
> > when i used to race races like that...
races with
> > charm and character...
>
> > what equipment do you use to film clips like that?... i want to film
races with
> > a helmet cam too!...
>
> Here's one approach:
>
> http://www.hanskellner.com/videos/
>
> The first time I saw this setup, I thought "Why is that guy wearing a helmet light in a 'cross
> race?" Doh!

There is a rather large difference between the riding style of the Belgium race & the 4/3rd cat
crit on http://www.hanskellner.com/videos/ can anyone notice what ? I like the idea of having the
camera reversed.