electric bikes

Pete

Guest
Does anyone have experience of buying, using electric bikes.
My wife would like one and they start around £290 (like Powacycle Milan) up to several thousand pounds.
Advice much appreciated.
Regards
Pete

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:20:37 +0100, "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have experience of buying, using electric bikes.
>My wife would like one and they start around £290 (like Powacycle Milan) up to several thousand pounds.
>Advice much appreciated.

The best place to start for advice on electric bicycles is AtoB
magazine.

Website here:

http://www.atob.org.uk/

They have a buyers guide there, and the mag itself always has plenty
of solid comment and opinion on the best electric options.

"Bob"

in message <[email protected]>, Pete ('[email protected]')
wrote:

> Does anyone have experience of buying, using electric bikes.
> My wife would like one and they start around £290 (like Powacycle
> Milan) up to several thousand pounds. Advice much appreciated.

I'm a bit of a bore on this, I'm afraid.

I seriously suggest she decides how much money she'd be prepared to spend
on an electric-assist bike, and then test rides a conventional (not
electric assist) bike costing the same amount of money. I'd be hugely
surprised if she did not find the conventional bike more satisfactory,
and less work. If you compare a £1,000 electric bike to a £200
conventional bike, it isn't surprising the electric bike seems quite
good. But if you compare a £1,000 electric bike to a £1,000 conventional
bike, you'll be surprised.

Something like this:
http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60344

I've worked on and ridden electric assist bikes. They seem to me to
create far more problems than they solve.

;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

Simon Brooke wrote:

> I seriously suggest she decides how much money she'd be prepared to spend
> on an electric-assist bike, and then test rides a conventional (not
> electric assist) bike costing the same amount of money.

This is good advice because all it will cost you is some time, and
following it doesn't in any way require you to find the same thing that
Simon does.

I've ridden a few electrics at Kinetics (http://kinetics.org.uk/) out of
curiosity. Ben is in the upper end of the business, and at that level I
can certainly see a lot of good points /for a limited subset of
cyclists/. I'm not one of those, and even if I had the cash spare I
wouldn't buy one.

From what I've seen, if you do want to go down this route and can
afford the better stuff it will come out as money better spent than the
bargain basement stuff.

But for most cyclists I think Simon is on the money. Unless you are
quite physically limited (for whatever reason) a good quality human
powered bike isn't that hard to get about on and doesn't need batteries
charging or nearly as much spent to start with.

Do start with a test. If you're anywhere close to Glasgow then call in
at Kinetics for a play, and could well be worth dropping a line to for a
blether with Ben.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Round where I live (which is a hillyish area of Italy) these bikes are
used a lot by pensioners. The type generally favoured is just a normal
bike with a small insertable motor assist (centrifugal clutch) which is