Help adjusting rear derailer, pls

BigBen

Guest
Hi All,

I have an 8 speed cassete, and when using the inner and middle
chainrings, with the 6th cog, it makes a strange ratling sound. If
using the the outer chainring, it works smoothly

I've tried adjusting the tension of the derailer cable, and concluded
that when it's finely adusted for the 6th cog, it's not good for the
rest of the cogs, and vice-versa.

Sugestions, pls?

TIA,
jbr

BigBen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an 8 speed cassete, and when using the inner and middle
> chainrings, with the 6th cog, it makes a strange ratling sound. If
> using the the outer chainring, it works smoothly
>
> I've tried adjusting the tension of the derailer cable, and concluded
> that when it's finely adusted for the 6th cog, it's not good for the
> rest of the cogs, and vice-versa.
>
> Sugestions, pls?
>
> TIA,
> jbr

-RD inner wire installed under the RD fixing bolt?
-cogs bent or worn out?
-chain hitting or otherwise being interfered with by the FD?
-der hanger straight?
-under BB guide and inner wire/housing smooth, unfrayed, undamaged,
clean?

On 15 May 2006 05:47:08 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>-RD inner wire installed under the RD fixing bolt?

Say again?? Will have to check latter...

>-cogs bent or worn out?

If that were the case, why would it "complain" when using inner and
middle chainrings, but not with the outer one? Will check latter...

>-chain hitting or otherwise being interfered with by the FD?

No way! That was the first thing I checked.

>-der hanger straight?

Will have to check latter...

>-under BB guide and inner wire/housing smooth, unfrayed, undamaged,
>clean?

Cable doesn't go under BB - over top tube instead. A bit rusty cable.
Well lubbed though!
But if cable's working well with other cogs, why not with this
specific one?? And why is it working well with the outer chainring??

Thank you!

Will check my bike following your hints, and let you know.

C ya,
jbr

<[email protected]> wrote:

>-cogs bent or worn out?

Not bent. Only have about 500 km on them, don't seem worn at all to
me.

>-der hanger straight?

Straight!

While checking these, last night, I had the impression that with the
chain on the inner chainring, and largest cog, there seemed to be
perfect alignment ... Shouldn't this happen only with the chain on the
middle ring, and 4th or 5th cogs??

If so, how can I correct it?

TIA,
jbr

BigBen wrote:
> On 15 May 2006 05:47:08 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >-cogs bent or worn out?

> Not bent. Only have about 500 km on them, don't seem worn at all to
> me.
>

> >-der hanger straight?

> Straight!
>

> While checking these, last night, I had the impression that with the
> chain on the inner chainring, and largest cog, there seemed to be
> perfect alignment ... Shouldn't this happen only with the chain on the
> middle ring, and 4th or 5th cogs??
>
> If so, how can I correct it?
>
> TIA,
> jbr

Getting to the point of not really having an idea on how to fix w/o
seeing it. Sapcers in the cogset correct? Chain amtch the cogset,
'speed' wise? 8s with 8s, 9s with 9s.
The RD inner wire should be UNDER the fixing plate on the RD, UNDER the
fixing bolt, not somehow thru or above it.

BigBen wrote:
> >-der hanger straight?

> Straight!

You mean, you checked it with an appropriate tool (eg Park DAG-1 or
equivalent) and not only with the eye?
A not-straight-with-the-eye derailer hanger usually does not permit to
even think of an indexing possibility...

> While checking these, last night, I had the impression that with the
> chain on the inner chainring, and largest cog, there seemed to be
> perfect alignment ... Shouldn't this happen only with the chain on the
> middle ring, and 4th or 5th cogs??
>
> If so, how can I correct it?

Imho, I wouldn't think of such a chainline error problem before ALL
other items are checked perfect.

Greetings from France,
Nicolas

On 17 May 2006 02:48:41 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>You mean, you checked it with an appropriate tool (eg Park DAG-1 or
>equivalent) and not only with the eye?
>A not-straight-with-the-eye derailer hanger usually does not permit to
>even think of an indexing possibility...

Only with the eye ... I had never heard of such tool... Let me google
it... Found it. Not a very good time to buy of these, which I
hopefully wouldn't even have to use often.

If all other checks fail, will have to drop by the local shop an
request such checking - if they have such tool, that is :p

>Greetings from France,

Greetings from Portugal!

jbr