QUESTION????

I'm a student at Missouri State University and I've been assigned by my
professor to ask all of you in this group where your favorite place in
the world to participate in bicycling?? Thank you....

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a student at Missouri State University and I've been assigned by my
> professor to ask all of you in this group where your favourite place in
> the world to participate in bicycling?? Thank you....

On land.

Seriously, you might want to be a bit more specific.

Favourite city/town?
Favourite nation/state/province/locale?
Favourite terrain?
Favourite road surface?
Favourite roads?
Favourite trails?

Okay, more specifically, favorite state in the United States....

Katie wrote:
> Okay, more specifically, favorite state in the United States....

Aw, heck. I was going to say Earth.

Texas. It's hot in the summer, but you can ride all year long.

Catzz- Can you tell me about an experience you had bicycling in Texas??

Claire, Can you tell me about a great experience that you had
bicycling???

Katie wrote:
> Catzz- Can you tell me about an experience you had bicycling in Texas??

I live here, so this is just where I ride.

Maybe it would help you to get acquainted with cycling in Texas. There
are quite a few events and clubs, if a person is into group rides.
Here's a typical web site listing statewide events.

http://www.bicycletexas.com/cycling.htm

Some of the major universities have cycling clubs. Here's the web page
for Texas A&M.

http://amct.tamu.edu/

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm a student at Missouri State University and I've been assigned by my
> professor to ask all of you in this group where your favorite place in
> the world to participate in bicycling?? Thank you....

I started out to give you the sort of answer you received from others,
because they're true. Any cycling is better than no cycling, and when
it becomes a fundamental part of your way of life it really doesn't
matter where you do it.

On the other hand, some rides do stand out. A perfect spring day riding
solo on the back roads of Lancaster County PA. A perfect late summer
day on the Chicago lakefront. A perfect early Fall ride along the coast
of Maine just as the leaves were turning. There can be magic when the
place, the time, the weather, and your body/spirit all synchronize.

Riding to work through the streets of Philadelphia in the rain has its
charms, but those days in Maine were special.

RichC

In article <[email protected]>,
"rdclark" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > I'm a student at Missouri State University and I've been assigned by my
> > professor to ask all of you in this group where your favorite place in
> > the world to participate in bicycling?? Thank you....

> I started out to give you the sort of answer you received from others,
> because they're true. Any cycling is better than no cycling, and when
> it becomes a fundamental part of your way of life it really doesn't
> matter where you do it.
>
> On the other hand, some rides do stand out. A perfect spring day riding
> solo on the back roads of Lancaster County PA. A perfect late summer
> day on the Chicago lakefront. A perfect early Fall ride along the coast
> of Maine just as the leaves were turning. There can be magic when the
> place, the time, the weather, and your body/spirit all synchronize.
>
> Riding to work through the streets of Philadelphia in the rain has its
> charms, but those days in Maine were special.
>
> RichC

Riding in Philly with a SEPTA bus 3 feet behind you, and one in front
spewing all that polution???

You been doing this for too long....:)

Ride in Maine...get chased by a horny moose!

HAND

"Katie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Claire, Can you tell me about a great experience that you had
> bicycling???

For some reason, I find this question rather amusing. I have a t-shirt that
says, Never A Bad Day To Ride. To single out a single experience out of
something that is generally a joy is really rather difficult. Even if you
were to take a day in which a bad thing happened -- the last time I rode to
work, a little old lady in a Lincoln Town Car took a left turn a bit wide
and came closer than I'd like while I was innocently riding on the
shoulder -- well, that only was a tiny moment of fear and danger. Compare
this brief frisson to an hour of beautiful fresh air, exercise, the sunlight
dancing on the lake?

So, a great experience while bicycling? They're all great experiences! Even
a so-so day riding to work is better than the average day driving a car or
riding the bus. Or are you looking for those truly incandescent moments,
those sharp peak experiences where you realize, This Is Why I Was Put On
Earth?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

On 25 May 2006 11:39:36 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Benbrook, Texas.
>
>It don't get no better 'n here.

Too close to Foat Wuth for me.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Park Loop Drive and up Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park,
Maine. Beautiful scenery, smooth one way two lane roads, and not too
crowded if you time things right.

Ted.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a student at Missouri State University and I've been assigned by my
> professor to ask all of you in this group where your favorite place in
> the world to participate in bicycling?? Thank you....

My favorite place to bicycle must be commuting to work, because that's what
I do most often and have the most miles on.

This commute is described here:
http://hometown.aol.com/mikekr/myhomepage/bike_commute_part1.htm

Going on bike tours is fun, also. Most of these have been a few days long
and solo, although I've done RAGBRAI once and an organized tour across Utah.
A solo tour of Michigan and the Utah tour are described here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/zbicyclist

"Claire Petersky" wrote: (clip) Or are you looking for those truly
incandescent moments, those sharp peak experiences where you realize, This
Is Why I Was Put On Earth?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Claire, we would ALL like to hear about those!

> Aw, heck. I was going to say Earth.
>
> Texas. It's hot in the summer, but you can ride all year long.

I didn't ride this winter when it was below 40 degrees F AND the wind was
blowing over 25 miles per hour. (wasn't that every day in December and
January?)

Pat

In Portland, Oregon. There are lots of good miles of paved trail with no
motor traffic and fun places to go, surrounded by others mostly having some
recreation on a variety of vehicles. I particularly like the ride along the
east bank of the Willamette and the ride across the Columbia River.

Max