or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › How to install pannier racks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to install pannier racks

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I purchased a Raleigh SC30 off ebay, every things seems to be working well. I want to start commuting and also purchased a Planet Bike Eco Rack, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install it. Forgive my lack of the correct terms There are two threaded holes on each side where the rear wheel connects, the top one has enough clearance to connect the bottom of the rack at that point. However the adjustable arms that come out of the front of the rack are too short to reach the seat post. And if I could reach the seat post, the provided clamps are too small to go around it. What am I missing?

Thanks!
post #2 of 7

Re: How to install pannier racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanekeys
I purchased a Raleigh SC30 off ebay, every things seems to be working well. I want to start commuting and also purchased a Planet Bike Eco Rack, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install it. Forgive my lack of the correct terms There are two threaded holes on each side where the rear wheel connects, the top one has enough clearance to connect the bottom of the rack at that point. However the adjustable arms that come out of the front of the rack are too short to reach the seat post. And if I could reach the seat post, the provided clamps are too small to go around it. What am I missing?

Thanks!
The "adjustable arms" do not attach to the seat post, but rather to the seat stays of the frame-either directly bolting to attachments on the frame or with clamps.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

Re: How to install pannier racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M
The "adjustable arms" do not attach to the seat post, but rather to the seat stays of the frame-either directly bolting to attachments on the frame or with clamps.
Hmm, there are two points to bolt to, but they're really low, lower than the top of the rear wheel. Check the pic below to see the bike, and the rack.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1...u%28r%29-f.jpg

http://web.fineliving.com/fine/image...ticRack_01.jpg

Should I have to bend the adjustable arms to reach these mounting points? The top of the rack is level with just below the shock absorber in the seatpost.
post #4 of 7

Re: How to install pannier racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanekeys
Hmm, there are two points to bolt to, but they're really low, lower than the top of the rear wheel. Check the pic below to see the bike, and the rack.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1...u%28r%29-f.jpg

http://web.fineliving.com/fine/image...ticRack_01.jpg

Should I have to bend the adjustable arms to reach these mounting points? The top of the rack is level with just below the shock absorber in the seatpost.
The usual answer is yes, the adjustable arms are bent to meet the mounting points on the frame to allow a level mounting position. That being said, your frame is small, and those mounting points are low down. It is hard to give specific advice based on those pictures, but it may be that the model of rack that you have won't work well with that frame without more "custom" modifications such as having longer mounting arms. Some bikes (particularly small framed MTB's) just won't work with certain racks and thus a seatpost mounted model or other alternative mounting system model may be the way to go.

Here are a couple of examples of different approaches to what you have:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...1&source=19299

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...1&source=19299
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 

Re: How to install pannier racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M
The usual answer is yes, the adjustable arms are bent to meet the mounting points on the frame to allow a level mounting position. That being said, your frame is small, and those mounting points are low down. It is hard to give specific advice based on those pictures, but it may be that the model of rack that you have won't work well with that frame without more "custom" modifications such as having longer mounting arms. Some bikes (particularly small framed MTB's) just won't work with certain racks and thus a seatpost mounted model or other alternative mounting system model may be the way to go.

Here are a couple of examples of different approaches to what you have:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...1&source=19299

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...1&source=19299
I was able to make the current work with some modifications, I'll post pictures tonight. I ended up creating my own place to mounting point off the seat post using some metal strapping and some bolts.

Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 

Re: How to install pannier racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanekeys
I was able to make the current work with some modifications, I'll post pictures tonight. I ended up creating my own place to mounting point off the seat post using some metal strapping and some bolts.

Thanks for the help.
I had to do a similar modification. I ended up using metal straping to make a bracket.


Goto My blog entry for a more detailed write-up.
post #7 of 7

Re: How to install pannier racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanekeys
I had to do a similar modification. I ended up using metal straping to make a bracket.


Goto My blog entry for a more detailed write-up.
I have a very similar rack fixed to the seat post like yours with a single strap (that came with the rack along with various other fixings that were not suitable). I didn't have to make a bracket as I already had a security cable holder bracket fixed to the seat post and used its bolt to hold the rack strap as well. It's been on there for months and seems to be sturdy enough.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › How to install pannier racks