or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bike values? Experts?

post #1 of 8
I picked up 2 mint condition bicycles at a yard sale last week and was
wondering what they might be worth? Thanks in advance!

Huffy 26" Dr. Pepper Mountain Bike Special Edition
Made in USA, serial number 5C232336745

Brittany Free Spirit 26" Made in China
post #2 of 8

Re: Bike values? Experts?

>I picked up 2 mint condition bicycles at a yard sale last week and was
> wondering what they might be worth? Thanks in advance!
>
> Huffy 26" Dr. Pepper Mountain Bike Special Edition
> Made in USA, serial number 5C232336745
>
> Brittany Free Spirit 26" Made in China

Paging Ron Hardin...

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
post #3 of 8

Re: Bike values? Experts?

"Larry Havens" <noreply@blocked.com> wrote in message
>I picked up 2 mint condition bicycles at a yard sale last week and was
> wondering what they might be worth? Thanks in advance!
>
> Huffy 26" Dr. Pepper Mountain Bike Special Edition
> Made in USA, serial number 5C232336745
>
> Brittany Free Spirit 26" Made in China

Larry: here a posting I made in Usenet a couple of years ago regarding yard
sale bicycle valuation:

Here is my heuristic set for screening potential valuable yard sale finds.
Think of this as a killfile for bikes so that you do not have to slow down
at every sale on your Saturday rides. Cut out and tape to your bars.

Just keep rolling if you see any of the following:

A kickstand
Suicide levers (aka brake extender levers)
Nutted wheel axles (i.e. no quick releases on wheels)
Shiny steel rims
A cottered crankset
Crankset with riveted rings
Zinc-plated (non stainless) spokes
Steel sidepull brakes
Nylon (plastic) platform pedals
Steel chainrings
Steel hubs
A steel seatpost with those horrid steel seatpost clamps
Stem mounted shifters

Or has the name:

Huffy
Murray
Schwinn
Infinity
Motiv
Free Spirit
Supercycle
Dunlop
Pacific
Mongoose
Carerra
Fila

If you see any of the following, lock up you wheels and try to get your
wallet out while coming to a rolling dismount:

Cinelli
Pinarello
Colnago
Litespeed
Merckx
Masi
Pogliaghi
De Rosa

Keep at least $50 in your wallet at all times for a deposit. Know how far
the local ATM's are at full sprint.
post #4 of 8

Re: Bike values? Experts?

Dave Mayer wrote:

> Larry: here a posting I made in Usenet a couple of years ago regarding yard
> sale bicycle valuation:
>
> Here is my heuristic set for screening potential valuable yard sale finds.
> Think of this as a killfile for bikes so that you do not have to slow down
> at every sale on your Saturday rides. Cut out and tape to your bars.
>
> Just keep rolling if you see any of the following:
>
> A kickstand
> Suicide levers (aka brake extender levers)
> Nutted wheel axles (i.e. no quick releases on wheels)
> Shiny steel rims
> A cottered crankset
> Crankset with riveted rings
> Zinc-plated (non stainless) spokes
> Steel sidepull brakes
> Nylon (plastic) platform pedals
> Steel chainrings
> Steel hubs
> A steel seatpost with those horrid steel seatpost clamps
> Stem mounted shifters

A lot of what you say is true, if you're looking for a complete bike,
but often you can find fairly nice frames with not-so-nice components,
so the bike may be worth stripping. Old frames are great for making up
fixed gear and/or commuter bikes.

I salvaged a really terrible bike for my wife's commuter frame. I threw
away all but frame and fork, which, while low quality, were made for 26"
wheels and stud-mounted brakes. I was able to set it up with very
inexpensive new MTB (mostly) components, rack and fenders, making a very
nice "city bike". She loves it and it's perfect for her application.
post #5 of 8

Re: Bike values? Experts?

Dave Mayer wrote:
> "Larry Havens" <noreply@blocked.com> wrote in message
>
>>I picked up 2 mint condition bicycles at a yard sale last week and was
>>wondering what they might be worth? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Huffy 26" Dr. Pepper Mountain Bike Special Edition
>>Made in USA, serial number 5C232336745
>>
>>Brittany Free Spirit 26" Made in China
>>

> Larry: here a posting I made in Usenet a couple of years ago regarding yard
> sale bicycle valuation:
>
> Here is my heuristic set for screening potential valuable yard sale finds.
> Think of this as a killfile for bikes so that you do not have to slow down
> at every sale on your Saturday rides. Cut out and tape to your bars.
>
> Just keep rolling if you see any of the following:
>
> A kickstand
> Suicide levers (aka brake extender levers)
> Nutted wheel axles (i.e. no quick releases on wheels)
> Shiny steel rims
> A cottered crankset
> Crankset with riveted rings
> Zinc-plated (non stainless) spokes
> Steel sidepull brakes
> Nylon (plastic) platform pedals
> Steel chainrings
> Steel hubs
> A steel seatpost with those horrid steel seatpost clamps
> Stem mounted shifters

I would agree on some things, considering that most bikes have a
kickstand, even some high end bikes. It also depends on the age of the
bike, many mid-level 1970's bikes had suicide levers and most high end
bikes from before 1975 had cottered cranks. Virtually any bike from
before about 1970 will have nutted wheel axles and steel rims, and
before 1985 QRs were only on very high end bikes.

It depends on what your planning on doing with the bike though, if your
doing a rebuild, then none of these items really matters, except maybe
the seatpost.

> Or has the name:
>
> Huffy
> Murray
> Schwinn
> Infinity
> Motiv
> Free Spirit
> Supercycle
> Dunlop
> Pacific
> Mongoose
> Carerra
> Fila

I'll agree with the list, although Schwinn was good at one time....

> If you see any of the following, lock up you wheels and try to get your
> wallet out while coming to a rolling dismount:
>
> Cinelli
> Pinarello
> Colnago
> Litespeed
> Merckx
> Masi
> Pogliaghi
> De Rosa
>
> Keep at least $50 in your wallet at all times for a deposit. Know how far
> the local ATM's are at full sprint.

Chances are people with these items, know what they are worth, and
overcharge accordingly.

post #6 of 8

Re: Bike values? Experts?

The Wogster wrote:
> Dave Mayer wrote:
> > Cinelli
> > Pinarello
> > Colnago
> > Litespeed
> > Merckx
> > Masi
> > Pogliaghi
> > De Rosa
> >
> > Keep at least $50 in your wallet at all times for a deposit. Know how far
> > the local ATM's are at full sprint.
> >

> Chances are people with these items, know what they are worth, and
> overcharge accordingly.

I have a $15 Bianchi Vittoria, with all-Campy parts. Still had little
rubber nubs on the tires, which were probably original. There's chances
and then there's chances.
post #7 of 8

Re: Bike values? Experts?

<Paging Ron Hardin...

Paging your daughter........oh never mind, no need to page her coz she's in
bed with me right now......lol
post #8 of 8

Re: Bike values? Experts?

> You may now make derogatory comments about me.
>
> Rich

No, I won't do that Rich because you never gave me an insulting answer.
There is a difference between honesty and an insult.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling