Which would you buy?

Kilgore Trout

Guest
Hello,

I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the same price.

Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.

Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?

-K.T.

A, no question.

Bianchis should be Celeste.

Dan

P.S. Hidden costs on used bikes include possibly replacing the stem, handlebars, crank arms, and
seat, to get a good fit. This is one reason used bikes shouldn't be bought at much more than
50% the depreciated value of a new bike, IMHO.

Kilgore Trout wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
> same price.
>
> Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
> Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
>
> Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
> stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.
>
> Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
>
> -K.T.

Despite being a big sucker for orange bikes, I'd get the lugged 96. Sounds like it's definitely in
better shape (and lugs are great, IMO).

Bruce

> Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
> Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
>
> Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
> stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

In article <[email protected]>, Kilgore Trout
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
>same price.
>
>Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
>Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.

If you're going to bother buying a Bianchi this is the one.

>Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
>stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

Ugly.

Boy do I hate fitting rimstrips on those CXP21s. A 16mm rimstrip is about as wide as fits in the
channel but the nipple holes inside the rim are exactly that width as well. I ended up using Velox
and contact cement last time. Just a minor peeve...

--Paul

"Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> A, no question.
>
> Bianchis should be Celeste.

> P.S. Hidden costs on used bikes include possibly replacing the stem, handlebars, crank arms, and
> seat, to get a good fit. This is one reason used bikes shouldn't be bought at much more than
> 50% the
depreciated
> value of a new bike, IMHO.

I hate Celeste, prefer orange. Plus, I'd go for the bike with less mileage. In addition to the
above, true drivetrain condition is hard to assess. It may work perfectly and look good now, but you
want to avoid having to spend another $100+ 3 months for a new cassette and chainrings.

There are plenty of virtually unused bikes for sale, so there's no reason to get stuck with one
that's worn out.

Matt O.

>Hello,
>
>I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the
>same price.
>
>Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock (1996
>Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste.
>
>Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is
>stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.
>
>Anyone? Beuller? Anyone?
>
>-K.T.

I would make sure to ride them before purchase. You made no mention of size but your personal
preference is most important here, which one do you like best??

If this were my choice, I would choose the lugged bike with the Celeste paint. As someone else
commented, if it a Bianchi, its got to be Celeste.

Jon Isaacs

>I'm looking at 2 used bikes. If it were you, which would you buy? Both are basically the same
>price. Bike A: 1996 Bianchi Campione. Basically never ridden. Looks brand new. Everything is stock
>(1996 Campy Mirage across the board). Lugged frame, celeste. Bike B: 1998 Bianchi Campione. Unknown
>mileage. Headset grinding, needs a new seat. Everything is stock (1998 Avanti levers, brakes, front
>der., Mirage rear, CXP21 wheelset). Tig frame, orange.

Get the '96 model. The 98 sounds like it is well used and would need some money invested to get
ready to ride.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Daniel Connelly wrote:

> A, no question.
>
> Bianchis should be Celeste.
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. Hidden costs on used bikes include possibly replacing the stem, handlebars, crank arms, and
> seat, to get a good fit. This is one reason used bikes shouldn't be bought at much more than
> 50% the depreciated value of a new bike, IMHO.

Some/all of those "hidden costs" exist on new bikes too. People don't always know straight out if
the bike is dialed in to the degree they find they want.

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:54:22 -0500, Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I hate Celeste, prefer orange. Plus, I'd go for the bike with less mileage.

But the green one had the lower mileage.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies