Ottawa Race Weekend... Taper Time

onemarathon

Guest
G'day,

Just wrapped up my last week of regular training, and am now ready
(really?) to taper for the half marathon on the 28th. Yep, I'm ready.

Anyone else here doing any of the races next weekend? Man, I am stoked.
Haven't done a half since, oh, 2002. I've loved the training leading up
to this, and this time I have improved upon my methods of old. I dug
back into my old training logs and shook my head in disbelief at how I
did stuff then. I do things more by feel now, with some regard for the
books' schedules and experts' tips, and certainly way more respect for
the advance warning signs that my body sends me (like: take it easy
today, better cut it short now... that knee is acting up again, etc).
Now to just control my ridiculous appetite, especially for junk food,
at least for the final week before the race. Yes, I'll reward myself
appropriately post-race.

I am still debating about one thing, though. I'll do my last run on the
Friday, "rest" Saturday, then race Sunday morn. I normally swim Sat.
mornings, but though I know a swim will really help loosen up the legs
for a Sun. race, I hesitate since my shoulders are sometimes stiff the
day after a swim, and I'll need to be TOTALLY ache-free for the half. I
don't have to do the swim, but it would be nice as a light sort of
exercise the day before. OR I could save it for the day after my race,
if that might help with recovery. I generally do a little walking the
day after races, to stretch the legs out and loosen things up, but
mostly lie around relaxing.

Anyway, no super big decisions here. I just might skip that swim and do
what I normally do day before a race.... just a little walking but
mostly relaxing and preparing for the big day.

Happy training and racing to all,

Cam

onemarathon wrote:

I dug
> back into my old training logs and shook my head in disbelief at how I
> did stuff then. I do things more by feel now, with some regard for the
> books' schedules and experts' tips, and certainly way more respect for
> the advance warning signs that my body sends me (like: take it easy
> today, better cut it short now... that knee is acting up again, etc).

Sounds like you're starting to get a handle on what works for *you*, not
the mythical "average" person many schedules are written for.

> Anyway, no super big decisions here. I just might skip that swim and do
> what I normally do day before a race.... just a little walking but
> mostly relaxing and preparing for the big day.

"do what I normally do day before a race" sounds like a good strategy to me.

Good luck, Cam!

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

"onemarathon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've loved the training leading up
> to this, and this time I have improved upon my methods of old. I dug
> back into my old training logs and shook my head in disbelief at how I
> did stuff then. I do things more by feel now, with some regard for the
> books' schedules and experts' tips, and certainly way more respect for
> the advance warning signs that my body sends me (like: take it easy
> today, better cut it short now... that knee is acting up again, etc).

Amen! That's the trouble with race schedules, people think they have to
follow every nuance and never listen to their body or the attached
disclaimer that suggests one modify the program.

> Anyway, no super big decisions here. I just might skip that swim and
> do
> what I normally do day before a race.... just a little walking but
> mostly relaxing and preparing for the big day.

Skip the swim and if you walk, just a little. Frankly, I would not do
any exercise other than quiver. ;)

-DougF

Dot wrote:
> Sounds like you're starting to get a handle on what works for *you*,

not
> the mythical "average" person many schedules are written for.

Definitely. I've done enough races to be able to know how to train
without following a so-called expert's schedule. And even though I'm
still a (relative) newbie to triathlon, I design my own training
programs. Sure, I refer to existing ones, but I like to customize
everything.

> "do what I normally do day before a race" sounds like a good strategy to me.

Yeah, I think that'll be the plan. Might just go hang out at the sports
expo a day or two before the event (to get my race kit, etc).

> Good luck, Cam!

Thanks, Dot. Enjoy the weekend.

Cam

"onemarathon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G'day,
>
> Just wrapped up my last week of regular training, and am now ready
> (really?) to taper for the half marathon on the 28th. Yep, I'm ready.
>
> Anyone else here doing any of the races next weekend? Man, I am stoked.
> Haven't done a half since, oh, 2002. I've loved the training leading up
> to this, and this time I have improved upon my methods of old. I dug
> back into my old training logs and shook my head in disbelief at how I
> did stuff then. I do things more by feel now, with some regard for the
> books' schedules and experts' tips, and certainly way more respect for
> the advance warning signs that my body sends me (like: take it easy
> today, better cut it short now... that knee is acting up again, etc).
> Now to just control my ridiculous appetite, especially for junk food,
> at least for the final week before the race. Yes, I'll reward myself
> appropriately post-race.
>
> I am still debating about one thing, though. I'll do my last run on the
> Friday, "rest" Saturday, then race Sunday morn. I normally swim Sat.
> mornings, but though I know a swim will really help loosen up the legs
> for a Sun. race, I hesitate since my shoulders are sometimes stiff the
> day after a swim, and I'll need to be TOTALLY ache-free for the half. I
> don't have to do the swim, but it would be nice as a light sort of
> exercise the day before. OR I could save it for the day after my race,
> if that might help with recovery. I generally do a little walking the
> day after races, to stretch the legs out and loosen things up, but
> mostly lie around relaxing.
>
> Anyway, no super big decisions here. I just might skip that swim and do
> what I normally do day before a race.... just a little walking but
> mostly relaxing and preparing for the big day.
>
> Happy training and racing to all,
>
> Cam

Good Luck!
I'm faced with doing a taper next week and have to fight the same demon,
eating too much junk.
My schedule (Hansen's SOS) doesn't call for a major taper but my body is!
I'm taking two to three days off early n the week and then short easy runs,
5 or 6 on Thursday and Friday and a very easy 3 on Saturday. Look like I'm
going to have to lower my expectatins as the temps appear to be on the rise
next week.

PR

Doug wrote:

> Skip the swim and if you walk, just a little. Frankly, I would not do
> any exercise other than quiver. ;)

quiver? am i supposed to be afraid? might have a butterfly or two of
excitement, but there are no true jitters any more. besides, it would
take the marathon distance to make me quiver. and actually, i'll save
the quivering for the whole week prior to the olympic distance
triathlon i'm going to do in August. THAT has me a little nervous....
even now.

catcha later,

Cam

"onemarathon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>don't have to do the swim, but it would be nice as a light sort of
>exercise the day before.

How about doing a shorter swim than usual, or use a buoy/floater to rest
your upper body for part of the time ?

You could do your usual protocol after that.

Either way, enjoy your race!

well good luck to you too! i WANT a warm day for my race, since i'm
gonna be out there a while. what's your race distance? i'm gathering
shorter, since you are doing some short runs on your taper week. hope
it all goes well for you.

Cam

i'm going to skip the swim, and if i feel like going out the day after
the race, i might do a light session then. i should really do what i've
always done the day before racing.... which is no exercise beyond a
little walking around, picking up the race kit, and a few small
errands.

i WILL enjoy this race. been working hard towards it for quite a while
now. thanks....

Cam

On 2006-05-20, onemarathon <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am still debating about one thing, though. I'll do my last run on the
> Friday, "rest" Saturday, then race Sunday morn. I normally swim Sat.

Physiologically, probably doesn't matter a whole lot. Do whatever gets you
to the starting line feeling relaxed and confident. Good luck.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

onemarathon wrote:
> well good luck to you too! i WANT a warm day for my race, since i'm
> gonna be out there a while. what's your race distance? i'm gathering
> shorter, since you are doing some short runs on your taper week. hope
> it all goes well for you.
>
> Cam

Marathon, Vermont City but based on the current forecast high of 81F I
doubt I'm even I'm going to bother to make the trip.
DF may see me in Woodstock on Monday.

"Parker Race" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:jD%[email protected]...
> Marathon, Vermont City but based on the current forecast high of 81F I
> doubt I'm even I'm going to bother to make the trip.
> DF may see me in Woodstock on Monday.

It's not going to be any cooler down here. :) I know it's only a 15k and
has some shade. I'll be working registration but will do the race. I'm
not really racing but simply supporting the race for our club. If the
old legs get loose I may work the second half. I'm doing two hours at
Olana Saturday and then the race Monday. I'm trying to keep this an easy
week. Next Saturday I'll be doing about 6 hours and 8K of elevation.

Good luck at whatever you decide to do.

-D

Doug Freese wrote:
> "Parker Race" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:jD%[email protected]...
>
>>Marathon, Vermont City but based on the current forecast high of 81F I
>>doubt I'm even I'm going to bother to make the trip.
>>DF may see me in Woodstock on Monday.

> It's not going to be any cooler down here. :) I know it's only a 15k and
> has some shade. I'll be working registration but will do the race. I'm
> not really racing but simply supporting the race for our club. If the
> old legs get loose I may work the second half. I'm doing two hours at
> Olana Saturday and then the race Monday. I'm trying to keep this an easy
> week. Next Saturday I'll be doing about 6 hours and 8K of elevation.
>
> Good luck at whatever you decide to do.
>
> -D

Who said anything about the 15k?
There's a 5k too!

Doug wrote:
> Parker wrote:
>> Who said anything about the 15k?
>> There's a 5k too!

> Wus. :)

Yeah, except some of us find a 15k considerably easier than a 5k. But
you realize that.

Oh, now I see - you're questioning Parker's masculinity for not running
'em BOTH!

What's with that, Parker, only one race per weekend - you gettin' soft?
;-)

[email protected] wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
>>Parker wrote:
>>
>>>Who said anything about the 15k?
>>>There's a 5k too!

>>Wus. :)

> Yeah, except some of us find a 15k considerably easier than a 5k. But
> you realize that.
>
> Oh, now I see - you're questioning Parker's masculinity for not running
> 'em BOTH!
>
> What's with that, Parker, only one race per weekend - you gettin' soft?
> ;-)

I accept the Wus title without argument. I know my limits where heat is
involved.
This may be a 2 race weekend if I skip Vermont - Saturday is a local 15k
/ 2 mile (guess whch one I'll choose) , and Monday is the Woodstock 5k
/15k. I can't do both as they are run simultaneously. The hardest part
about Monday will be getting the kids out of bed that early.

I don't know about 15k s being easier. My best 5ks haven't felt that
hard but neither did my best 15k. I think suffering in races of half
Marathon or shorter are usually a result of going out at a pace you
can't hold for the distance of the race and paying the price later.

"Parker Race" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I accept the Wus title without argument. I know my limits where heat
> is involved.

You know I'm just pulling your leg. You're trying to avoid the heat
and I'm looking for the heat. I need to get some heat acclimation and
soon. I damn near froze my ass off the last three weeks on my long
Saturday long runs. It makes the run go easier but will not help if the
temps jump to 80+ race day.

-DougF

Parker Race wrote:
> This may be a 2 race weekend if I skip Vermont

Well then, Parker, you can be the "heat wuss", I'll be the "won't race
consecutive weekends let alone twice on the same weekend wuss". :)

Heck, on this ng I may also qualify for "only runs wussy little races"
i.e. less than 50km.

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Parker Race" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I accept the Wus title without argument. I know my limits where heat is
>> involved.

> You know I'm just pulling your leg. You're trying to avoid the heat and
> I'm looking for the heat. I need to get some heat acclimation and soon. I
> damn near froze my ass off the last three weeks on my long Saturday long
> runs. It makes the run go easier but will not help if the temps jump to
> 80+ race day.
>> -DougF

Looks like you'll be getting the weather you're looking for.
My decision is being questioned by friends, family and coach.
I don't get it!
I can dehydrate and cramp without leaving the Capital District and spending
a over $300.00 on a hotel and gas not to menton meals, etc. !

Parker

I'll skip the swim.... I figure I don't swim the day before my long
runs in training, so I'll do the same for this race. Can't hurt, and I
figure a day of practically nothing will really get me itching to run
come race time. Nearly there.... thanks for the luck!

Cam