Source for Brie de Meaux

russell

Guest
Hello, I am trying to find a source to buy or mail order real Brie de
Meaux (not the imitation Formage de Meaux, I want the real raw milk
stuff) in the US. I am aware that it is illegal to import and sell but
I am also aware that some of it manages to find its way into the
country anyways. I would love to find a reliable place to buy it,
after having tried the cheese on a recent trip to F.W.I. I absolutely
fell in love and have been craving it ever since.

If someone can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

russell wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to find a source to buy or mail order real Brie de
> Meaux (not the imitation Formage de Meaux, I want the real raw milk
> stuff) in the US. I am aware that it is illegal to import and sell but
> I am also aware that some of it manages to find its way into the
> country anyways.

It's illegal? I didn't know that. Are you sure?

KevinS wrote:
> russell wrote:
>
>> Hello, I am trying to find a source to buy or mail order real Brie de
>> Meaux (not the imitation Formage de Meaux, I want the real raw milk
>> stuff) in the US. I am aware that it is illegal to import and sell but
>> I am also aware that some of it manages to find its way into the
>> country anyways.

> It's illegal? I didn't know that. Are you sure?

Cheese made in or imported to the US must be made with pasteurized milk.
That's why cheese here is so bland and crummy.

KevinS wrote:
> russell wrote:
>
> > Hello, I am trying to find a source to buy or mail order real Brie de
> > Meaux (not the imitation Formage de Meaux, I want the real raw milk
> > stuff) in the US. I am aware that it is illegal to import and sell but
> > I am also aware that some of it manages to find its way into the
> > country anyways.

> It's illegal? I didn't know that. Are you sure?

Yep. The FDA makes it illegal to import raw milk (unpasturized)
cheeses aged less then 60 days, they make special case for the french
cheese though, for them no matter how long its been aged you cannot
import it. The law dates back like 50+ years and the french addition
to it is from the 80s when a bunch of people got sick and several died
from eating raw milk cheese in france(cant remember the name of the
virus they got).

I spent much of the winter in the Frech West Indies and sampled several
varieties of raw milk french cheese and I have to say I was blow away.
In the US we have been seriously missing out on the best cheeses on
earth, the stuff we get here really pales in comparison, in fact there
is no comparison. My mouth waters thinking about it, I must find the
stuff.

On 12 Jun 2006 04:24:25 -0700, "russell" <[email protected]> wrote:

>KevinS wrote:
>> russell wrote:
>>
>> > Hello, I am trying to find a source to buy or mail order real Brie de
>> > Meaux (not the imitation Formage de Meaux, I want the real raw milk
>> > stuff) in the US. I am aware that it is illegal to import and sell but
>> > I am also aware that some of it manages to find its way into the
>> > country anyways.

>> It's illegal? I didn't know that. Are you sure?

>Yep. The FDA makes it illegal to import raw milk (unpasturized)
>cheeses aged less then 60 days, they make special case for the french
>cheese though, for them no matter how long its been aged you cannot
>import it. The law dates back like 50+ years and the french addition
>to it is from the 80s when a bunch of people got sick and several died
>from eating raw milk cheese in france(cant remember the name of the
>virus they got).
>
>I spent much of the winter in the Frech West Indies and sampled several
>varieties of raw milk french cheese and I have to say I was blow away.
>In the US we have been seriously missing out on the best cheeses on
>earth, the stuff we get here really pales in comparison, in fact there
>is no comparison. My mouth waters thinking about it, I must find the
>stuff.

Try taking a trip to Canada?

jim