Rubbed and Washed Ribs

Wayne Boatwright

Guest
Note: I didn't say *barbequed* ribs! I cook these in a covered gas
grill.

There are both simpler and more complicated rubs that this, but we like
this one. Vary spices according to taste, and adjust cayenne to the heat
level you prefer.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rubbed and Washed Ribs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

RUB
1/2 Cup Paprika
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Cumin Seeds
1/4 Cup Black Peppercorns
1/4 Cup Chili Powder
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
WASH
1 Cup Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Stick Butter -- melted (optional)

RUB

Process cumin seeds and black peppercorns in spice mill until finely
ground.

Combine with remaining ingredinets and stir until mixture is evenly
colored and thorougly mixed.

WASH

Combine all ingredients and mix thorougly. Use butter if spareribs are
overly lean.

COOKING DIRECTIONS

Early in the day, or the night before, heavily coat slab of spareribs with
spice mixture using flour shaker. Rub well into meat. If preparing the
night before, wrap in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and refrigerate
until morning. If refrigerated, spareribs should be returned to room
temperature before grilling.

Grill over a very low fire, 225-250°F, for at least 2-3 hours, basting
with wash every 10-15 minutes. Note: A clean dishmop works better than a
basting brush.

Spareribs should be very tender with a crisp and slightly charred
exterior.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Note: I didn't say *barbequed* ribs! I cook these in a covered gas
> grill.
>
> There are both simpler and more complicated rubs that this, but we like
> this one. Vary spices according to taste, and adjust cayenne to the heat
> level you prefer.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Rubbed and Washed Ribs
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> RUB
> 1/2 Cup Paprika
> 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
> 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
> 1/4 Cup Cumin Seeds
> 1/4 Cup Black Peppercorns
> 1/4 Cup Chili Powder
> 2 Teaspoons Salt
> 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
> WASH
> 1 Cup Cider Vinegar
> 1 Cup Water
> 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
> 1 Stick Butter -- melted (optional)
>
> RUB
>
> Process cumin seeds and black peppercorns in spice mill until finely
> ground.
>
> Combine with remaining ingredinets and stir until mixture is evenly
> colored and thorougly mixed.
>
> WASH
>
> Combine all ingredients and mix thorougly. Use butter if spareribs are
> overly lean.
>
> COOKING DIRECTIONS
>
> Early in the day, or the night before, heavily coat slab of spareribs with
> spice mixture using flour shaker. Rub well into meat. If preparing the
> night before, wrap in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and refrigerate
> until morning. If refrigerated, spareribs should be returned to room
> temperature before grilling.
>
> Grill over a very low fire, 225-250°F, for at least 2-3 hours, basting
> with wash every 10-15 minutes. Note: A clean dishmop works better than a
> basting brush.
>
> Spareribs should be very tender with a crisp and slightly charred
> exterior.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Ooooh that sounds good Wayne. One question - is your 2-3 hour timing
for the big racks or baby backs?
Nancy T

Oh pshaw, on Wed 14 Jun 2006 12:40:23p, ntantiques meant to say...

> Ooooh that sounds good Wayne. One question - is your 2-3 hour timing
> for the big racks or baby backs?
> Nancy T

Thanks... Baby backs should be done in 2 to 2-1/2 hours. St. Louis cut will
take 3 to 3-1/2 hours.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬