Schraeder valve variations?

Lobster

Guest
I wanted to replace the Schraeder valve in a small wheelbarrow-type
wheel today - it's an 8" wheel with an inner tube. Bought a new valve
from a cycle shop (as directed by the automotive shop down the road, who
didn't have any).

Only thing is, the new valve is about half the length of the old one,
which has a pin about 0.5" long protruding downwards, surrounded by a
spring which bears against a little brass bit at the very bottom (ie,
inside the tyre).

My new valve physically fits OK, and retains air; however, is it OK?
What's the purpose of the extra bit, why haven't I got it and does it
matter?!

Cheers
David

Lobster wrote:
> I wanted to replace the Schraeder valve in a small wheelbarrow-type
> wheel today - it's an 8" wheel with an inner tube. Bought a new valve
> from a cycle shop (as directed by the automotive shop down the road,
> who didn't have any).
>
> Only thing is, the new valve is about half the length of the old one,
> which has a pin about 0.5" long protruding downwards, surrounded by a
> spring which bears against a little brass bit at the very bottom (ie,
> inside the tyre).
>
> My new valve physically fits OK, and retains air; however, is it OK?

what else do you want from it ? sending txt mssages :eek:)

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
<[email protected]> saying something like:

>Only thing is, the new valve is about half the length of the old one,
>which has a pin about 0.5" long protruding downwards, surrounded by a
>spring which bears against a little brass bit at the very bottom (ie,
>inside the tyre).
>
>My new valve physically fits OK, and retains air; however, is it OK?
>What's the purpose of the extra bit, why haven't I got it and does it
>matter?!

The short ones are fine; I've used them for years. I suppose they're
just cheaper to make, but they work ok.
--

Dave

Lobster wrote:
> I wanted to replace the Schraeder valve in a small wheelbarrow-type
> wheel today - it's an 8" wheel with an inner tube. Bought a new valve
> from a cycle shop (as directed by the automotive shop down the road, who
> didn't have any).
>
> Only thing is, the new valve is about half the length of the old one,
> which has a pin about 0.5" long protruding downwards, surrounded by a
> spring which bears against a little brass bit at the very bottom (ie,
> inside the tyre).
>
> My new valve physically fits OK, and retains air; however, is it OK?
> What's the purpose of the extra bit, why haven't I got it and does it
> matter?!

Being a cyclist, I think that these are used more in cycles, perhaps
they unbalance the wheel a bit less. As cycle tyres are inflated to
higher pressures than most cars, there shouldn't be a problem.

john2