RR Easingwold 100 with a 11 - 28 cassette

Mark Thompson

Guest
> . I couldn't ride any faster, I think I'd not eaten enough to
> compensate for the extra work done in the lumpy part of the ride.

> As an aside, I have found that I am eating and drinking less than I
> used to on a ride. Does one's metabolism change when exercise is taken
> on a regular basis?

Dunno about getting fitter - Shirley, your metabolism would rise and you'd
need more. I know people eat less as they get older, but you seem to have
bonked from lack of food so you're obviously still one of the fit young
things.

--
Mark.
This post contains absolutely no trace of irony. None. Ish.

Mark Thompson wrote:
I know people eat less as they get older,

Yes, but only because their children have left them with very little
grub money ;-)

--
Brian G

vernon wrote:
> As an aside, I have found that I am eating and drinking less than I used to
> on a ride. Does one's metabolism change when exercise is taken on a regular
> basis?

Exercise can be an appetite suppressant I believe.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

vernon wrote:

>> Exercise can be an appetite suppressant I believe.
>>

> If only! - You want to see what I get through after a ride :)

But are you losing weight? If so, you are eating less relative
to your needs. Your appetite hasn't grown in line with your
increased energy expenditure. That's what I really should have
said.

--
Arthur Clune

Hey Vernon - Have you noticed you're running on the other side of the date
line?

cheers,
clive

I used the ride as a proving trial for a new 11 - 28 cassette that I'd
fitted as an alternative to12-23 close ratio one my road bike came fitted
with.

I'm getting better at the pre-Audax malarky and arrived in good time for the
start. An ex-colleague turned up to to experience a calendered Audax having
done a permanane with me back in March. I was greeted by several riders who
I've got to know from the York CTC Audaxes. A prompt start and four miles
later a vist from the p*nct*re fairy. My mate Dave hung around and a new
tube was fitted. Dave is competitive and he led a chase on the riders who's
ridden past us. It's his natural instinct having spent the past 40 year
speed skating. I got sucked into the chase and we hauled all of the riders
in a handul of miles before I persuaded him to consider the ride as a
sociable affair.. The initail part of the route took in some of the
regularly visited villages and towns of Alne, Youlton, Knaresborough (cafe
point and control) and Ripley, Nidd and Ripley before the lumpy bits between
Ripley, Sawley, Risplith, Grantley and Kirkby Malzeard. The lumpy bits were
the testing ground for the changed gearing and much to my suprise I found
every climb rideable though I had to stop half way up a 1:6 to allow my
pulse to drop to a more manageable level before setting off again. I found
it satisfying to see several riders get off and push on the hill knowing
that I'd beaten it by pedal power.

The wide ratios suited my riding style and only once did I find a 'hole' in
the ratios.

The flat leg of the ride was from Ripon back to Easingwold via
Boroughbridge and Dave couldn't curb his racing instincts and hare off
towards the New Inn final checkpoint 20km from the end. I oculdn't muster
the energy to race after him but was content to pootle at 15mph for the last
20km. I couldn't ride any faster, I think I'd not eaten enough to compensate
for the extra work done in the lumpy part of the ride. I discovered that,
by virtue of completing three of York CTC's rides I'm eligible for one of
their bronze medals. Dave gained five minutes on me and for once I was not
last. There were 16 riders still out when I signed out.

In terms of saddle time I'd averaged 13.6 mph. I'm happy with that and I'm
happy with the gearing from the new cassette - I found that I was changing
gears less frequently which is no bad thing in my opinion and that the jumps
between the gears.were not that vast. I'm still considering new chainrings
but I'll try a few more rides before making a firm decision.

As an aside, I have found that I am eating and drinking less than I used to
on a ride. Does one's metabolism change when exercise is taken on a regular
basis?

"Mark Thompson"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>> . I couldn't ride any faster, I think I'd not eaten enough to
>> compensate for the extra work done in the lumpy part of the ride.

>> As an aside, I have found that I am eating and drinking less than I
>> used to on a ride. Does one's metabolism change when exercise is taken
>> on a regular basis?

> Dunno about getting fitter - Shirley, your metabolism would rise and you'd
> need more. I know people eat less as they get older, but you seem to have
> bonked from lack of food so you're obviously still one of the fit young
> things.

Not entirely sure that i bonked - pootling at 15 mph is not like the being
reduced to grinding halt every few minutes in a full blown bonk that I used
to suffer 18 months ago. I am definitely eating less on the average 100km
BP it could be that I am better at carbing up before the ride......

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey Vernon - Have you noticed you're running on the other side of the date
> line?

The offspring must have been tinkering with the settings.

Though it's sometimes nice to be in front :)

news:[email protected]...

vernon wrote:

> What I meant to say is that although I eat fewer calories and less
> frequently on a 100km BP than I used to, I do not bonk at all whereas
> previously I did with a far greater on bike calorie intake. Does this mean
> that I am more efficient in my energy use? Shedding a stone and a bit will
> have helped but not surely not enough to account for a near 50% drop in food
> intake on a ride.

The combination of greater fitness, better efficiency on the bike (from more
miles) and less weight will make a big difference.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon wrote:
>
>>> Exercise can be an appetite suppressant I believe.
>>>

>> If only! - You want to see what I get through after a ride :)

> But are you losing weight? If so, you are eating less relative
> to your needs. Your appetite hasn't grown in line with your
> increased energy expenditure. That's what I really should have
> said.

I was a bit vague in what I was originally saying..