beginner question 2 : turn the body while doing strokes ?

Vp

Guest
When doing the stroke with inhaling, I need to turn my whole body ( head, hip, legs...) to the side
that I inhale, right ?

How about for strokes that I exhale ? Do I need to turn my body also ?

Thanks,

Vu

vp wrote:

> When doing the stroke with inhaling, I need to turn my whole body ( head, hip, legs...) to the
> side that I inhale, right ?

Not for breathing. The head turn for breathing is independent of any body role that you do. There is
debate about how much body role is optimal, but whatever amount you use, it should be the same on
both sides.

> How about for strokes that I exhale ? Do I need to turn my body also ?

You exhale underwater. It sounds like you might be holding your breath. Don't hold your breath.
Begin exhaling immediately.

martin

"vp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> When doing the stroke with inhaling, I need to turn my whole body ( head, hip, legs...) to the
> side that I inhale, right ?

sounds about right.

> How about for strokes that I exhale ? Do I need to turn my body also ?

you should exhale slowly, the whole time your head is under water. Well, slowly... meaning, at the
pace that will allow you to empty out your lungs till you're at the point in the stroke where you
can take another breath.

"M.W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> vp wrote:
>
> > When doing the stroke with inhaling, I need to turn my whole body ( head, hip, legs...) to the
> > side that I inhale, right ?
>
> Not for breathing. The head turn for breathing is independent of any body role that you do. There
> is debate about how much body role is optimal, but whatever amount you use, it should be the same
> on both sides.

Thanks for the reply. I misunderstand here. On the side that I inhale ( right side ) , do I need to
turn my head and my body, or just the head ?

> > How about for strokes that I exhale ? Do I need to turn my body also ?
>
> You exhale underwater. It sounds like you might be holding your breath. Don't hold your breath.
> Begin exhaling immediately.

I do exhale under the water. I inhale on the right side then exhale under the water. My question is
when my *left* arm is at the end of the pull phase, my right arm is extending in the front, do I
need to turn my body a little bit to the left side for "efficiency" ?

IOW, does my body need to keep turning left and right when I am extending my right and left arms,
correspondingly ?

Thanks for your advice,

Vu

vp wrote:

> "M.W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>vp wrote:
>>

>>>When doing the stroke with inhaling, I need to turn my whole body ( head, hip, legs...) to the
>>>side that I inhale, right ?
>>
>>Not for breathing. The head turn for breathing is independent of any body role that you do. There
>>is debate about how much body role is optimal, but whatever amount you use, it should be the same
>>on both sides.
>

> Thanks for the reply. I misunderstand here. On the side that I inhale ( right side ) , do I need
> to turn my head and my body, or just the head ?

For breathing, just turn your head. Let's say you breath on the right hand side. Then as you turn
your head to breath, you will also be stretching forward with your left arm and rolling a bit to
the left. But this roll has nothing to do with your breathing, because you would do it whether you
were breathing or not. You also do this roll on the other side when you stretch forward with your
right arm.

>>>How about for strokes that I exhale ? Do I need to turn my body also ?
>>
>>You exhale underwater. It sounds like you might be holding your breath. Don't hold your breath.
>>Begin exhaling immediately.
>

> I do exhale under the water. I inhale on the right side then exhale under the water. My question
> is when my *left* arm is at the end of the pull phase, my right arm is extending in the front, do
> I need to turn my body a little bit to the left side for "efficiency" ?

You roll onto the side of the arm that is stretching forward.

> IOW, does my body need to keep turning left and right when I am extending my right and left arms,
> correspondingly ?

Yes. Not a big roll.

martin

so it is bad to hold it right until the last second before you breathe again ?

i've got this bad habit after swimming for 7 + years

tbone wrote:
> so it is bad to hold it right until the last second before you breathe again?

Very bad. You will run out of air quickly, when you exert yourself.

martin

--
Clark for President http://www.clark04.com/

Martin Smith

Well, I'm not the good one to say if it's bad or not, since I'm not super experienced. Here's what I
know... I have read in several places that they recommend **not** holding your breath, because
exhaling at the last minute doesn't allow you to empty out your lungs properly, so you're not
leaving the best possible amount of room for the fresh air. I vaguely remember that it has something
to do with the timing too... I think it was also mentioned that holding your breath actually makes
the time before you need to make a new breath shorter, or something like that.

Maybe some other guys in here can explain this little better.

news:[email protected]...