or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bell Peppers

post #1 of 8
I love to have bell peppers with my hamburgers. I prefer them kinda
soft: nice taste but "transparent" consistency.

For a while, I got "Maid Rite" frozen pepper steaks, but I don't know
how long they've been frozen, they look icky, and the burger part is
unsatisfying.

The obvious choice is to get fresh peppers, chop and saute them but it
seems to take forever to get them soft. And I ofeten end up burning
them.

I tried Pastene chopped peppers in a jar, but they didn't taste right.
I tried Birdseye frozen peppers and onions, and I picked out the onions
(I CAN'T eat onions for resons best left unsaid), but the peppers still
had onion juice in them and I paid the price.

Is there any simple way to soften peppers and keep full taste???
post #2 of 8

Re: Bell Peppers

If you have a gas burner, you can put them whole directly on a high
flame and roast them until the skin is charred- once they're black all
over, put them in paper sack to steam... once cool, remove the charred
skin under running water. whole process takes maybe 20 minutes.
post #3 of 8

Re: Bell Peppers

Doug Kanter wrote:
> What methods have you tried for softening peppers. Be specific about heat
> levels.

I've tried sauteing them, in butter in a frying pan on medium high
heat. I also tried boiling them or just soaking in water, but it seems
to kill the taste.
post #4 of 8

Re: Bell Peppers

In article <1133978509.586039.189520@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"blackburst@aol.com" <blackburst@aol.com> wrote:

> I love to have bell peppers with my hamburgers. I prefer them kinda
> soft: nice taste but "transparent" consistency.

> The obvious choice is to get fresh peppers, chop and saute them but it
> seems to take forever to get them soft. And I ofeten end up burning
> them.

> Is there any simple way to soften peppers and keep full taste???

How do you cook your hamburgers? If you fry them in a pan, then I would
suggest cooking the peppers with them.

This is not rocket science, but it requires some experience. We are
talking trial and error here. The variables are cooking time and size
of pieces. You will probably need to put the peppers in first, after
heating the pan and adding oil. After they have cooked a bit, add the
burgers.

--
Dan Abel
dabel@sonic.net

Re: Bell Peppers

Dan Abel wrote:
> > Is there any simple way to soften peppers and keep full taste???

> How do you cook your hamburgers? If you fry them in a pan, then I would
> suggest cooking the peppers with them.
>
> This is not rocket science, but it requires some experience. We are
> talking trial and error here. The variables are cooking time and size
> of pieces. You will probably need to put the peppers in first, after
> heating the pan and adding oil. After they have cooked a bit, add the
> burgers.

Thanks for the hint. The main issue is the time it takes, maybe 10
minutes before I add the burgers. Whenever I go to a sub shop, they
have a bowl full of soft green/red bell peppers that they toss on the
grill. Probably a foodservice product.
post #6 of 8

Re: Bell Peppers

: > This is not rocket science, but it requires some experience. We are
: > talking trial and error here. The variables are cooking time and size
: > of pieces. You will probably need to put the peppers in first, after
: > heating the pan and adding oil. After they have cooked a bit, add the
: > burgers.

: Thanks for the hint. The main issue is the time it takes, maybe 10
: minutes before I add the burgers. Whenever I go to a sub shop, they
: have a bowl full of soft green/red bell peppers that they toss on the
: grill. Probably a foodservice product.

They're soft because they're already cooked.

The peppers you see in the sub shop are pre-cooked - when they toss them
on the grill they are simply reheating them. Early in the morning before
they open for business, they do the prep work for that days business
which includes cooking those peppers.

You could do the same thing at home, by cooking up a large batch yourself
and then portioning them out into individual servings then freezing them.
Toss a frozen portion into the pan along with your cooking hamburger and
there ya go!
post #7 of 8

Re: Bell Peppers

<bob@buzzbeer.com> wrote

> You could do the same thing at home, by cooking up a large batch yourself
> and then portioning them out into individual servings then freezing them.
> Toss a frozen portion into the pan along with your cooking hamburger and
> there ya go!

I do the same thing with onions and mushrooms during the summer
when steaks and burgers rule the grill. Just saute a mess of them
and use them up over the next few days. I don't bother freezing them.

nancy
post #8 of 8

Re: Bell Peppers

Nancy Young wrote:
> <bob@buzzbeer.com> wrote
>
> > You could do the same thing at home, by cooking up a large batch yourself
> > and then portioning them out into individual servings then freezing them.
> > Toss a frozen portion into the pan along with your cooking hamburger and
> > there ya go!

> I do the same thing with onions and mushrooms during the summer
> when steaks and burgers rule the grill. Just saute a mess of them
> and use them up over the next few days. I don't bother freezing them.

Duh, there's the answer! Saute 4 or 5 peppers on Sunday for the rest of
the week!
Why didn't I think of that? Keep them in firdge or freezer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition