or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Freezing Walnuts?

post #1 of 5
Ken wrote:
> I just bought six pounds of English walnuts from a local grower. The
> label says they don't use pesticides or chemicals. Since it's going to
> take me a while to get through six pounds, I'm guessing the freezer is
> a good place to put them to stop little critters from hatching and to
> stop the oil from turning rancid. Is this needed on both counts?
>
> And I'm 99% sure that freezing won't really effect the crunchiness or
> texture. Am I right on this one?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ken

I used to get giant amounts of pecans and freeze those all the time. I found
that they faired better in the chest freezer as opposed to the regular fridge
freezer (which had self defrost, someone thought that might be the issue). I
would also store bags of pecan meal in there as well.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Re: Freezing Walnuts?

"Ken" <threeriversguy_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just bought six pounds of English walnuts from a local grower. The
> label says they don't use pesticides or chemicals. Since it's going to
> take me a while to get through six pounds, I'm guessing the freezer is
> a good place to put them to stop little critters from hatching and to
> stop the oil from turning rancid. Is this needed on both counts?
>
> And I'm 99% sure that freezing won't really effect the crunchiness or
> texture. Am I right on this one?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ken

I buy nuts all the time in bulk and keep them in my chest freezer. I've
never notice in deterioration in their taste or crunchiness.

Lynne
post #3 of 5

Re: Freezing Walnuts?

In article <1134246896.868070.272330@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Ken" <threeriversguy_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just bought six pounds of English walnuts from a local grower. The
> label says they don't use pesticides or chemicals. Since it's going to
> take me a while to get through six pounds, I'm guessing the freezer is
> a good place to put them to stop little critters from hatching and to
> stop the oil from turning rancid. Is this needed on both counts?
>
> And I'm 99% sure that freezing won't really effect the crunchiness or
> texture. Am I right on this one?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ken

Freezing nuts work just fine...
I've frozen shelled pecans and almonds for up to 2 years as long as they
are properly packed.

I also have a cockatoo that ADORES walnuts IN the shell and I can only
get them around this time of year. I buy around 10 lbs. or so and freeze
them as is for her so I can have enough to last her a year. :-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson
post #4 of 5

Re: Freezing Walnuts?

In article <1134246896.868070.272330@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Ken" <threeriversguy_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just bought six pounds of English walnuts from a local grower. The
> label says they don't use pesticides or chemicals. Since it's going to
> take me a while to get through six pounds, I'm guessing the freezer is
> a good place to put them to stop little critters from hatching and to
> stop the oil from turning rancid. Is this needed on both counts?
>
> And I'm 99% sure that freezing won't really effect the crunchiness or
> texture. Am I right on this one?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ken

Freezing nuts work just fine...
I've frozen shelled pecans and almonds for up to 2 years as long as they
are properly packed.

I also have a cockatoo that ADORES walnuts IN the shell and I can only
get them around this time of year. I buy around 10 lbs. or so and freeze
them as is for her so I can have enough to last her a year. :-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson
post #5 of 5

Re: Freezing Walnuts?

On 10 Dec 2005, Ken wrote:

> I just bought six pounds of English walnuts from a local grower. The
> label says they don't use pesticides or chemicals. Since it's going to
> take me a while to get through six pounds, I'm guessing the freezer is
> a good place to put them to stop little critters from hatching and to
> stop the oil from turning rancid. Is this needed on both counts?
>
> And I'm 99% sure that freezing won't really effect the crunchiness or
> texture. Am I right on this one?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ken

I always freeze English walnuts and pecans. Mine are always shelled. I
don't if that makes a difference or not. I've keep them for several years
at a time.

Elaine, too
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home