or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Cooking milk-based soups in a Crock-Pot without curdling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cooking milk-based soups in a Crock-Pot without curdling

post #1 of 8
I hope someone can help me on this. I was with a friend who planned a
corn chowder in her Crock-Pot. She put the corn and milk, and a little
butter in the pot, set it, and off we went on a hike. Several hours.
When we came back it had curdled and looked awful. We didn't eat it.
Has this happened to any of you? Have you cooked milk=based soup in a
Crock-Pot successfully? Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
TIA
Nancree
post #2 of 8

Re: Cooking milk-based soups in a Crock-Pot without curdling

nancree wrote:
> I hope someone can help me on this. I was with a friend who planned a
> corn chowder in her Crock-Pot. She put the corn and milk, and a
> little butter in the pot, set it, and off we went on a hike.

Well there's your problem. You need some sort of broth or stock, not just
milk.

Several
> hours. When we came back it had curdled and looked awful. We didn't
> eat it. Has this happened to any of you? Have you cooked milk=based
> soup in a Crock-Pot successfully? Any suggestions gratefully
> accepted.
> TIA
> Nancree

I have made cream soups and cheese soup and veggie-cheese soups in a crock
pot but *never* without adding water or broth or stock as well as the milk
or cream. I am assuming she had it set for HIGH, which is a no-no for cream
(milk) soup in any case, crock pot or not. Creamy soups require low and
slow. And attendance.

I wouldn't hike off (pardon the pun) and leave a crock pot with anything in
it for more than a couple of hours on the HIGH setting. Obviously not all
crock pots are the same. But all of mine get rather hot on HIGH and I
rarely use that setting.

Jill
post #3 of 8

"jmcquown" <jmcquown@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> nancree wrote:
>> I hope someone can help me on this. I was with a friend who planned a
>> corn chowder in her Crock-Pot. She put the corn and milk, and a
>> little butter in the pot, set it, and off we went on a hike.

> Well there's your problem. You need some sort of broth or stock, not just
> milk.
>
> Several
>> hours. When we came back it had curdled and looked awful. We didn't
>> eat it. Has this happened to any of you? Have you cooked milk=based
>> soup in a Crock-Pot successfully? Any suggestions gratefully
>> accepted.
>> TIA
>> Nancree

> I have made cream soups and cheese soup and veggie-cheese soups in a crock
> pot but *never* without adding water or broth or stock as well as the milk
> or cream. I am assuming she had it set for HIGH, which is a no-no for
> cream
> (milk) soup in any case, crock pot or not. Creamy soups require low and
> slow. And attendance.
>
> I wouldn't hike off (pardon the pun) and leave a crock pot with anything
> in
> it for more than a couple of hours on the HIGH setting. Obviously not all
> crock pots are the same. But all of mine get rather hot on HIGH and I
> rarely use that setting.
>
> Jill

I agree with Jill on the high setting. I only use that when I'm at home to
attend it. I use low if I want to leave and let it do it's work for several
hours. I've not done a lot of milk based things, but the recipes I have
that call for some say to stir it in at the end and then cook for an hour or
so.

Lynne
post #4 of 8

Re: Cooking milk-based soups in a Crock-Pot without curdling

Thanks for the info, Jill
Nancree
post #5 of 8

Re: Cooking milk-based soups in a Crock-Pot without curdling

Thanks, Chris, for your response
Nancree
post #6 of 8

Re: Cooking milk-based soups in a Crock-Pot without curdling

All very helpful answers from, also, Chris, King's Crown and Jude. What
a great group this is!
Nancree
post #7 of 8

"nancree" <nancree@aol.com> wrote in message
>I hope someone can help me on this. I was with a friend who planned a
> corn chowder in her Crock-Pot. She put the corn and milk, and a little
> butter in the pot, set it, and off we went on a hike. Several hours.
> When we came back it had curdled and looked awful. We didn't eat it.
> Has this happened to any of you? Have you cooked milk=based soup in a
> Crock-Pot successfully? Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
> TIA
> Nancree

Was it possible that the milk was not quite fresh (ready to sour)?
post #8 of 8

Jude wrote:

> I've been told by quite a few different people to use Evaporated milk
> in the crockpot to prevent it from curdling. not sure of the science,
> but it's what I used and so far it's always been successful!

What ratio compared to using regular milk? Do you thin it with water
to equal? Thanks...Sharon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition