the cycling stuff I need

Tom Keats

Guest
Nothing.

I'm most content with what I have (and it doesn't
include a cycloputer.)

Don'cha just luv the simplicity of cycling?

I find it a wonderment, that so much satisfaction
can be had for so little outlay.

Riding is an investment.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats wrote:
> Nothing.
>
> I'm most content with what I have (and it doesn't
> include a cycloputer.)
>
> Don'cha just luv the simplicity of cycling?
>
> I find it a wonderment, that so much satisfaction
> can be had for so little outlay.
>
> Riding is an investment.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

I'm with you. I have a $10 Schwinn (China) 'puter but hardly ever use it
except as a handlebar clock.
Bill Baka

Tom Keats wrote:
> Nothing.
>
> I'm most content with what I have (and it doesn't
> include a cycloputer.)
>
> Don'cha just luv the simplicity of cycling?
>
> I find it a wonderment, that so much satisfaction
> can be had for so little outlay.

I have some doodads, one of which is a computer that calculates a bunch
of things for me.

I'm curious about how far I ride in a given month / year, so I keep
track of that just because it's interesting. When I'm really cruising
I like to look down and see how fast I'm going. Some times it's faster
than I thought. Some times it's much slower.

I can carry all the tools I need for just about any repair in my saddle
bag, which is reassuring.

In article <[email protected]>,
Bill Baka <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>> Nothing.
>>
>> I'm most content with what I have (and it doesn't
>> include a cycloputer.)
>>
>> Don'cha just luv the simplicity of cycling?
>>
>> I find it a wonderment, that so much satisfaction
>> can be had for so little outlay.
>>
>> Riding is an investment.

> I'm with you. I have a $10 Schwinn (China) 'puter but hardly ever use it
> except as a handlebar clock.

I have a wristwatch for that. A nice cheap one, with
a white face and big black numbers that I don't need
reading glasses to see.

And it has an expansion bracelet. I've been warned off
of wearing leather/buckled ones when doing manual labour
or running machinery.

Where I work, it's always the new kids who are always
bugging me with: "What time is it?" every 5 minutes,
hoping it's close to break time.

Maybe I'll lose the watch.

Wearing a wristwatch is being handcuffed to time.

cheers,
Tom

--

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Bill Baka <[email protected]> writes:
> > Tom Keats wrote:

Snipped:

> Where I work, it's always the new kids who are always
> bugging me with: "What time is it?" every 5 minutes,
> hoping it's close to break time.

Snipped
> cheers,
> Tom

I remember an old joke my dad told me.

Two Amerindians are sitting outside a general store. A white guy is
talking to the store keeper. He looks at his watch and says, "Well I
guess it's time for lunch." With that off he goes. The store keeper
goes back inside. One Amerindian looks at the other and says, "See! I
told you whiteman are plenty crazy! Him look at watch to see if stomach
hungry!"

Another dad told me related to the early velocipied bicycles.

The same two Amerindians are sitting in front of the same store when a
group of cyclists scoot by. Looking at the othe one Amerindian states,
"See white men are plenty crazy. Run like hell to give ass a ride!"

Peter

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:14:38 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:

> Nothing.
>
> I'm most content with what I have (and it doesn't
> include a cycloputer.)
>
> Don'cha just luv the simplicity of cycling?

Some of us also seem to love the scope for inverted snobbery,
too. Why not tell us that you ride centuries in street clothes
from Kmart :)

> I find it a wonderment, that so much satisfaction
> can be had for so little outlay.
>
> Riding is an investment.

How can it be both an investment and involve little outlay? In fact,
it's /not/ an investment, because if you stop doing it for a while,
you'll lose your fitness and get fat. The benefit is strictly temporary.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> Wearing a wristwatch is being handcuffed to time.

then a cellophone is like being handcuffed to everyone you know!

Tom Keats wrote:
> I have a wristwatch for that. A nice cheap one, with
> a white face and big black numbers that I don't need
> reading glasses to see.
>
> And it has an expansion bracelet. I've been warned off
> of wearing leather/buckled ones when doing manual labour
> or running machinery.

Beware if you ever work on a car or anything electrical.
I had one of those and got across the starter relay on a Ford and almost
had it welded to my wrist. I got it off at the cost off more burns on my
fingers and have a nice big car related scar for it.

> Where I work, it's always the new kids who are always
> bugging me with: "What time is it?" every 5 minutes,
> hoping it's close to break time.
>
> Maybe I'll lose the watch.
>
> Wearing a wristwatch is being handcuffed to time.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

Long sleeves?
Bill Baka

greggery peccary wrote:
> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>> Wearing a wristwatch is being handcuffed to time.
>>

> then a cellophone is like being handcuffed to everyone you know!

I turn mine off unless the bike breaks hopelessly and I have to call my
SAG wagon (wife) who usually lectures me all the way home.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
Michael Warner <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:14:38 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:
>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> I'm most content with what I have (and it doesn't
>> include a cycloputer.)
>>
>> Don'cha just luv the simplicity of cycling?

> Some of us also seem to love the scope for inverted snobbery,
> too. Why not tell us that you ride centuries in street clothes
> from Kmart :)

Because I usually don't, because

a) there aren't any K-marts around here (Vancouver, Kanada)
b) I don't track my milage, although I've lately done some
out-&-backs to Maple Ridge and back; maybe that's close
to a century, or maybe it isn't. I don't know and I
don't particularly care. Screw a bunch o' numbers!
Actually when I head out that direction, I usually end
up at the pub formerly known as The Wild Duck Inn, at Pitt
Meadows, before turning back. I harbour a fascination with
that location 'cuz that's where at a young age I had my
teeth bashed in and jaw broken in a car collision, but that's
another story.
c) I've accumulated a bunch of cheap but functional cycling
garb purchased mostly from Mountain Equipment Co-Op -- some
old-school jerseys (with just the neck zipper,) various
house-brand plus Louis Garneau[TM] shorts, Andiamo[TM]
riding gonchies, etc. I still like riding in tee-shirts,
of which I have a plethora.

>> I find it a wonderment, that so much satisfaction
>> can be had for so little outlay.
>>
>> Riding is an investment.

> How can it be both an investment and involve little outlay?

Therein lies the wonderment.

> In fact,
> it's /not/ an investment, because if you stop doing it for a while,
> you'll lose your fitness and get fat. The benefit is strictly temporary.

Stop riding!!? Bite yer tongue :)

Besides, once a certain fitness level is attained, it
actually seems to take a longish while for it to
wear off.

Further besides, I don't ride for fitness, and
never have. I don't even ride strictly for
transportation. Mostly I ride because it's an
exhuberant self-expression that doesn't incur
too many dire repercussions. I ride to ride,
and my bikes are my simplist's "land canoes".

Further further besides, so much bought stuff
(tools, clothing, accessories & parts) are
transferable from bike to bike, and much of
that stuff only needs to be purchased once,
and then you have it at-hand forever.

Further further further besides, my current
stable consists of four or five & a half bikes,
none of which I paid money for. The Raleigh
Twenty was bequeathed to me, my main ride was
abandoned after the resolution of a local
bus drivers' strike/lockout, and the rest are
salvaged but usable discards that just needed
a little work.

I assure you, I'm not into inverted/reverse
snobbery. In the past I've enjoyed the thrill
of purchasing > $1000 brand-new bikes. I've
been entangled in the sticky web of clipless
pedal + shoe decisions. I used to have a
cycloputer, until I outgrew it.

Over the past decade it's been driven home like
a hammer'd nail into my brain, the difference
between what we /need/, and what we want.

I don't always get what I want, but I always
seem to end up with having a bike to ride.
I guess I'm predilected (and grateful for it.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- ... and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by ...

"Fred" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Nothing.
>>

> You're lucky. I need a bike.

If you really, truly need one, you will get one,
by hook or by crook. That's how it works.

cheers,
Tom

--

"greggery peccary" <.@.> writes:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message >

>> Wearing a wristwatch is being handcuffed to time.
>>

> then a cellophone is like being handcuffed to everyone you know!

Yes.

cheers,
Tom

--

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Fred" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Nothing.
> >>

> > You're lucky. I need a bike.

> If you really, truly need one, you will get one,
> by hook or by crook. That's how it works.

I've learned to be patient. If I need something, I don't have to run
and get it.

I wait for it to show itself.

What I've picked-up for bicycles at yard-sales or even under a shade
tree where someone cleaning a garage put out as trash, has this summer
alone amounted to three full bicycles that, after polish, lube and
adjustment, I've sold for about 50 bucks each---while, of course, my
bicycle remains optimized to the hilt.

Right now, I'd like a set of Avid 4 Shorties, but I'm not running off
to buy them.

They'll turn up when they're ready.

>>They'll turn up when they're ready<<

Cute.
Hey, if you want a free cyclometer GMaps is reallly close. Just do not
count the calories because it is for walking/running bouts.

Gmaps Pedometer
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

to save you frustration go to Usage Instructions first on the lower left.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Fred" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Nothing.
>>>

>> You're lucky. I need a bike.

> If you really, truly need one, you will get one,
> by hook or by crook. That's how it works.

Ah .....but I've already got one. It's just that it's the only thing in the
'cycling stuff I need' catergory. That's really really true. That's how it
works.

greggery peccary <.@.> wrote:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>> Wearing a wristwatch is being handcuffed to time.

> then a cellophone is like being handcuffed to everyone you know!

We prefer to call them electronic leashes.

:-(

--
Dane "I work for the Cellphone company" Buson - [email protected]
"The chief obstacle to the progress of the human race