or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Good cheap tires
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good cheap tires

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Requests for good inexpensive tires show up here regularly. My personal
favorite for long wear and good flat resistance is the IRC Road Winner
in 700 x 28 (actually measures 25mm). I just saw that Nashbar has them
on sale for $9.95. With a 10 percent coupon code (SAVE10), that's
$8.95. And 1/2 price shipping! I couldn't resist adding a few to my
stash.

p.s. I don't have stock in Nashbar or IRC. Just passing along what
seems like a good deal.

Art Harris
post #2 of 11

Re: Good cheap tires

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:41:57 -0800, Art Harris wrote:

> Requests for good inexpensive tires show up here regularly. My personal
> favorite for long wear and good flat resistance is the IRC Road Winner in
> 700 x 28 (actually measures 25mm). I just saw that Nashbar has them on
> sale for $9.95. With a 10 percent coupon code (SAVE10), that's $8.95. And
> 1/2 price shipping! I couldn't resist adding a few to my stash.
>
> p.s. I don't have stock in Nashbar or IRC. Just passing along what seems
> like a good deal.


That does look like a good deal -- 66tpi casings for 9 bucks.

I've been eyeing the Michelin Carbons on sale at Colorado Cyclist for $22.
CC is usually expensive, but their shipping is cheaper than average.

I'm not too worried about them selling out though. Michelin has
changed the model name again, so the old stock will be on sale everywhere.

Matt O.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Re: Good cheap tires

bfd wrote:

> Good deal! One question, IRC is the mfr of Avocet Road tires. How do these tires compare to an Avocet? Further, the new Avocet "carbon 12" all black tires are now made in Korea, as oppose to the old Avocet black/tan tires being made in Japan. Do you know where these IRC tires are made?


The Road Winner is made in Japan. All the ones I've gotten in the past
have had carbon black tread with a minimal inverted tread pattern and
tan sidewalls. That's what Nashbar is showing, although the IRC site
shows a new version with black sidewalls.

The casing seems to be identical to the old Avocets (66 tpi and a
little narrower than labeled). The "duro" version that Nashbar is
selling has a wire bead and kevlar belt. 275g.

tinyurl.com doesn't seem to working today, so:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Art Harris
post #4 of 11

Re: Good cheap tires

Art, & list:

That's a killer price. The Road Winner has been replaced by the Road
Winner II, again a wire bead, kevlar belt tire. The Road Winner II
wholesales for $10.99 if you buy 10 at a time.

good luck

jn

"Thursday"
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

Re: Good cheap tires

Fritz wrote:

> I find that they [IRC Road Winners] wear out real fast and the

rubber will start pulling from the casing quickly. last rear IRC
lasted me about 1200 miles before the threads were showing.

That's not my experience at all. I get at least three times that
mileage on the rear tire without the threads showing. No problems with
roundness, peeling, or bead failures either.

Art Harris
post #6 of 11

Re: Good cheap tires

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 04:45:19 -0800, Art Harris wrote:

> Fritz wrote:
>
>> I find that they [IRC Road Winners] wear out real fast and the

> rubber will start pulling from the casing quickly. last rear IRC lasted
> me about 1200 miles before the threads were showing.
>
> That's not my experience at all. I get at least three times that mileage
> on the rear tire without the threads showing. No problems with
> roundness, peeling, or bead failures either.


I suspect a lot of these tires offered by Nashbar, etc., on sale are
seconds or cheapo special editions.

Awhile back I ordered some Vredestein Fortezzas based on good reviews.
The price was good at under $20 for a top quality tire. But when I got
them, they didn't seem top quality at all. The casings were rather thick
and stiff, OK but definitely not top quality. The ride was definitely a
step down from what I had been using, and they didn't feel particularly
fast either. I noticed the sidewall said "Comp" after "Fortezza," which I
had never seen anywhere else, so I assume this was a cheapo special
edition. Sure enough, I came across a forum post later that confirmed the
Fortezza Comp was equivalent to one of Vredestein's cheaper tires, with an
MSRP of approximately the "sale" price I paid.

I'm wary of cheap junk and seconds too. I've seen plenty of tires with
wobbly treads, out of round, etc., that people got "on sale" somewhere.
If they can have these defects, who knows what other, more serious
problems are possible -- sidewall blowouts, etc. I'd rather not take the
risk of a blowout on a mountain descent, or being stranded in the middle
of nowhere.

Also, while some may have had great luck in the past with certain products
from certain suppliers, there's no telling what the current batch is like.
Return policies are usually pretty good, but the hassle still isn't worth
it.

Matt O.
post #7 of 11

Re: Good cheap tires

wow you guys are cheap!
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

Re: Good cheap tires

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I suspect a lot of these tires offered by Nashbar, etc., on sale are seconds or cheapo special editions.


> I'd rather not take the risk of a blowout on a mountain descent, or being stranded in the middle of nowhere.


Come on, Matt. A couple of days ago you said it sounded like a good
deal!

I've been buying from Nashbar since the 1970s, and I've never known
them to deliberately sell defective merchandise. Their stuff seems to
be aimed toward the everyday cyclist interested in reasonably-priced,
functional equipment rather than to the poseur wanting a $500 cycling
jacket.

The tire model in question has been around for years, and I've ridden
thousands of trouble-free miles on them. They may not have great snob
appeal, but I like them. They normally sell for around $13-15. With
Nashbar/Performance's buying power, I'm sure they can afford to sell
them cheaper at times. I think that's all there is to it. Stop trying
to scare people with the mountain descent blowout stuff!

Art Harris
post #9 of 11

Re: Good cheap tires

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:06:08 -0800, Art Harris wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
>> I suspect a lot of these tires offered by Nashbar, etc., on sale are
>> seconds or cheapo special editions.

>
>> I'd rather not take the risk of a blowout on a mountain descent, or
>> being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

>
> Come on, Matt. A couple of days ago you said it sounded like a good deal!


It does!

> I've been buying from Nashbar since the 1970s, and I've never known them
> to deliberately sell defective merchandise. Their stuff seems to be aimed
> toward the everyday cyclist interested in reasonably-priced, functional
> equipment rather than to the poseur wanting a $500 cycling jacket.
>
> The tire model in question has been around for years, and I've ridden
> thousands of trouble-free miles on them. They may not have great snob
> appeal, but I like them. They normally sell for around $13-15. With
> Nashbar/Performance's buying power, I'm sure they can afford to sell them
> cheaper at times. I think that's all there is to it.


I'm sure you're right. Also, I don't want to give people the impression
that if it's too cheap it can't be any good. In fact, the expensive stuff
is often no better, except for the clout of its brand name.

> Stop trying to scare
> people with the mountain descent blowout stuff!


There's nothing wrong with inexpensive tires, but it's no place to cut corners.

One thing I'd like to see -- inexpensive tires such as the IRC Road Winner
and Michelin Dynamic included in tire tests along with the high dollar
stuff. I did see a test several years ago where a $7 Cheng Shin had lower
RR than all the "best" racing mountain bike tires.

Matt O.
post #10 of 11

Re: Good cheap tires

$500? 569?!! amazing. made any arm warmers from kids poly jammies from
the thrift?
the pasela with kevlar belt and kevlar bead makes a good front at $20
what's $10 more for 100% more performance.?
what are you saving $it for? cokes?
post #11 of 11

Re: Good cheap tires

Jay Beattie wrote:
> On the other hand, the Performance brand folding tires (the
> racing tire, name escapes me) are very nice. Not as nice as a
> Michelin Pro Race, but pretty nice. -- Jay Beattie.


Forte Pro (or Pro SL for the "super light" version), 127tpi, kevlar
bead, kevlar belted.

I have a pair of the 23-622 size and have one of them on as a front
tire. Much more durable than the Specialized Turbo 26-622 tire that I
was using before, rides just fine, though I don't ride in the wet so
can't judge wet traction.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Good cheap tires