or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Any DANGER in using DRY ICE in fridge or freezer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any DANGER in using DRY ICE in fridge or freezer

post #1 of 6
I can remember reading some warning about using dry ice in the
refrigerator or freezer (for an emergency), but I can't remember what
the danger was. Something about the evaporating gas doing something???
Anyone know?
TIA
Nancree
post #2 of 6

Re: Any DANGER in using DRY ICE in fridge or freezer

nancree wrote:

> I can remember reading some warning about using dry ice in the
> refrigerator or freezer (for an emergency), but I can't remember what
> the danger was. Something about the evaporating gas doing something???
> Anyone know?

There was a thread about dry ice here a whiles back, IIRC Sheldon (or
somebody) said that dry ice will freeze and then shatter plastic, etc.
(this was in response to someone asking if they could keep dry ice in a
cooler...). Best to wrap the dry ice in newspapers or whatever to keep
it from contact with interior surfaces...

The gas dealie I know nothing about...

--
Best
Greg

nancree wrote:
> I can remember reading some warning about using dry ice in the
> refrigerator or freezer (for an emergency), but I can't remember what
> the danger was. Something about the evaporating gas doing something???
> Anyone know?
> TIA
> Nancree

Handle dry ice with gloves. (if it's wrapped heavily in newspaper, you
may can skip this if you handle it gingerly)

It gives off carbon dioxide gas, which is heavier than air and can
suffocate you if in a confined space -- a very small risk if you are at
all careful.

And don't put the dry ice in a strong, tightly sealed container because
it will build up enough pressure to burst the container (perhaps violently)

Best regards,
Bob
post #4 of 6

Re: Any DANGER in using DRY ICE in fridge or freezer

Thanks, Gregory and zxcvbob !
Nancree
post #5 of 6

Re: Any DANGER in using DRY ICE in fridge or freezer

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

> I can remember reading some warning about using dry ice in the
> refrigerator or freezer (for an emergency), but I can't remember what
> the danger was. Something about the evaporating gas doing something???
> Anyone know?
> TIA
> Nancree

Use gloves when handling dry ice as it will burn the skin. Dry ice is
frozen carbon dioxide (Co2), so use common sense.
post #6 of 6

"Sheldon" <PENMART01@aol.com> wrote in message

> Ted Campanelli wrote:
>> Nancree says:
>> > I can remember reading some warning about using dry ice in the
>> > refrigerator or freezer (for an emergency), but I can't remember what
>> > the danger was. Something about the evaporating gas doing something???
>> > Anyone know?

>> Use gloves when handling dry ice as it will burn the skin.

> Actually dry ice will *freeze* the skin, no burning whatsoever.

Until you thaw ..... then it burns and blisters like hell.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition