or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

post #1 of 20
After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to just
throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to use
up leftover, flat champagne?
post #2 of 20

Re: any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

In article <Xns973F8498BFF97pgluth1@208.49.80.60>,
pgluth1 <bclinton@whitehouse.gov> wrote:

> After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
> next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
> Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to just
> throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
> champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to use
> up leftover, flat champagne?

Flat champagne is just wine to me. :-)

I chill it and drink it as is.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson
post #3 of 20

Re: any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:01:24 GMT, pgluth1 <bclinton@whitehouse.gov>
wrote:

>After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
>next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
>Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to just
>throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
>champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to use
>up leftover, flat champagne?

Turn it into higher grade wine vinegar.

jim
post #4 of 20

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:01:24 GMT, pgluth1 wrote:

> After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
> next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
> Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to just
> throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
> champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to use
> up leftover, flat champagne?

Champagne chicken of course! Brown your chicken, pour in some
champagne, reduce, pour in more reduce again. Finish off with heavy
cream. You can add sliced mushrooms somewhere in the process too, if
you wish. Season as you wish... tarragon or thyme, salt and pepper.

<slobber>
wishing I had some leftover champagne now

post #5 of 20

Re: any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:57:52 -0800, sf wrote:

PS: You may need a bit of lemon if your champagne is on the sweet
side.

post #6 of 20

"pgluth1" <bclinton@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
> After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
> next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
> Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to
> just
> throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
> champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to
> use
> up leftover, flat champagne?

Put a half dozen cloves of garlic in it, let it sit for a week and use it as
a seasoning in soups, gravies, etc.
post #7 of 20

"Kent" <kh6444@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Drink it. We seal unfinished champagne bottles, after covering it with a
> nitrogen blanket. The next day it tastes good!
>
> "pgluth1" <bclinton@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
>> After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
>> next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
>> Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to
>> just
>> throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
>> champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to
>> use
>> up leftover, flat champagne?

First of all, were they drinking out of the bottles? i.e., Guzzling,
suckin'-it-up?
Dee Dee
post #8 of 20

pgluth1 wrote:
> After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
> next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
> Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to just
> throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
> champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to use
> up leftover, flat champagne?

Use it as the acidic liquid component in French Onion Soup.
post #9 of 20

Re: any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

In article <Xns973F8498BFF97pgluth1@208.49.80.60>,
pgluth1 <bclinton@whitehouse.gov> wrote:

> After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
> next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
> Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to just
> throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
> champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to use
> up leftover, flat champagne?

Look for a recipe for poached eggs with champagne sauce.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-1-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!
post #10 of 20

pgluth1 wrote:
> After celebrating the New Year with a few neighbors, I found myself the
> next morning with three open bottles of average Champagne leftover.
> Although, they do not represent much of an investment, I still hate to just
> throw the stuff down the drain. Outside of waiting a few weeks to make
> champagne vinegar out of the lot, does anyone have a favorite recipe to use
> up leftover, flat champagne?

Just put the open bottles in the fridge and use them as white cooking
wine during the next week or two. They should last longer than still
white wines because the residual CO2 will make a "blanket" on top of the
wine and greatly slow reduce the amount of oxygen that gets to it to go
stale. I know you said they are flat, but they are unlikely to be
*completely* flat yet.

Best regards,
Bob
post #11 of 20

Re: any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

Pandora recommended:

>> does anyone have a favorite recipe to use up leftover, flat champagne?

> Risotto allo champagne.

I'll second that recommendation. Risotto with champagne is very special
indeed.

Bob
post #12 of 20

Re: leftover champagne - Excellent suggests!

Thank you for the ideas on what to do with my leftover champagne. I
considered substituting it for white wine, but never thought to adjust for
the slight extra sweetness.

I usually lose patience to make risotto, but it sounds tempting. I also
found a recipe for "champagne scallops" I might have to try.

thanks again all. Cheers!
post #13 of 20

Re: any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

In article <41ts8iF1fspgmU1@individual.net>,
zxcvbob <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote:

> Just put the open bottles in the fridge and use them as white cooking
> wine during the next week or two. They should last longer than still
> white wines because the residual CO2 will make a "blanket" on top of the
> wine and greatly slow reduce the amount of oxygen that gets to it to go
> stale. I know you said they are flat, but they are unlikely to be
> *completely* flat yet.

It also makes a good liquid for wheat bread.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
post #14 of 20

Re: any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

In article <lj4jr1d8ei68kj1bgn2eispasqd16e4ep9@4ax.com>,
sf <see_reply_address@nospam.com> wrote:

> Champagne chicken of course! Brown your chicken, pour in some
> champagne, reduce, pour in more reduce again. Finish off with heavy
> cream. You can add sliced mushrooms somewhere in the process too, if
> you wish. Season as you wish... tarragon or thyme, salt and pepper.

This sounds lovely. I'd leave out the mushrooms, and add garlic and
onion or perhaps scallions.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
post #15 of 20

Re: any recipes for using up leftover flat champagne?

In article <raneemdonot-52AEF7.09431104012006@news.isp.giganews.com>,
Ranee Mueller <raneemdonot@spamharbornet.com> wrote:

> In article <lj4jr1d8ei68kj1bgn2eispasqd16e4ep9@4ax.com>,
> sf <see_reply_address@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Champagne chicken of course! Brown your chicken, pour in some
> > champagne, reduce, pour in more reduce again. Finish off with heavy
> > cream. You can add sliced mushrooms somewhere in the process too, if
> > you wish. Season as you wish... tarragon or thyme, salt and pepper.

> This sounds lovely. I'd leave out the mushrooms, and add garlic and
> onion or perhaps scallions.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Mushroom hater? :-)

Ever tried other varieties???????

Mushrooms are a world unto themselves......

Shallots.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson