How nice is the bike you lock up?

Gooserider

Guest
I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

Gooserider wrote:
> I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

It's my commuter errand bike, it's not "super" nice, but has served me
well and I wouldn't want it to get swiped because I was too lazy to run
the cable through it.

Ken
--
Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

Gooserider wrote:
> I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

40 dollar, steel ebay frame with with 100 powder coat job. Aerohead
rims, Formula track hubs. No no name stem, Syntace bullhorns with white
tape gone brown a long time ago. Specialize Alias Saddle. Low-end
Sugino cranks with low-end Eggbeaters.

I ride that bike 7 miles (one-way) to school everyday and it stays there
for about 7 - 8 hours. I've recently taken to using a cable to help
ensure that my wheels (without QRs) don't go anywhere.

If I ever scrounge up the cash for a Raliegh One Way, I'll be locking
that bike up.
\\paul

"Paul Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gooserider wrote:
>> I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

> 40 dollar, steel ebay frame with with 100 powder coat job. Aerohead rims,
> Formula track hubs. No no name stem, Syntace bullhorns with white tape
> gone brown a long time ago. Specialize Alias Saddle. Low-end Sugino
> cranks with low-end Eggbeaters.
>
> I ride that bike 7 miles (one-way) to school everyday and it stays there
> for about 7 - 8 hours. I've recently taken to using a cable to help
> ensure that my wheels (without QRs) don't go anywhere.
>
> If I ever scrounge up the cash for a Raliegh One Way, I'll be locking that
> bike up.
> \\paul

See, I have a few bikes, only two of which have ever seen the bike rack. One
is an MTB I cobbled together with a $150 Supergo frame and the parts from a
bike whose frame I broke. The other is an Ibex flat bar roadie I picked up
for $299. I have a Gunnar Sport I commute on, and a Schwinn Peloton I used
to use for commting and training but now pretty much sits unused. The Gunnar
goes from my home to inside my office and back. I'm contemplating selling
those two, plus my Schwinn Peloton and building a Kogswell
Porteur/Randonneur to replace the Ibex and the MTB, but I don't think I'll
be able to build it for less than a grand. I don't live in an area with a
lot of bike theft, but I feel kind of funny about locking a $1000+ bike to a
rack. It makes no sense, because I have no problem driving my car in the
rain or getting dings on it, but the bike bothers me... :) Hate to think
I'd build the Kogswell then go looking for a beater. LOL. I'm actually kind
of torn betwen the Kogswell and a Surly LHT.

PS--The Raleigh One Way looks like a really cool bike. The only reason I'm
not considering it is that I want to get away from 700c wheels on fendered
bikes. I ride a 52cm and have front wheel/toe overlap with my Gunnar. A
smaller wheel would fix that. That's why I'm debating between a 650B bike
and a 26" wheeled bike. Being short sucks sometimes.

Gooserider wrote:
> Being short sucks sometimes.

Yeah it does! I have trouble find the right size frame. Most shops only
keep a couple of models around in a small size.

Ken
--
Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gooserider wrote:
>> Being short sucks sometimes.

> Yeah it does! I have trouble find the right size frame. Most shops only
> keep a couple of models around in a small size.

Oh yeah that is a big problem. My local shop doesn't stock much in my size.
Not a big problem for me because the bike I bought from them had to be
ordered anyway. The bigger problem is toe/wheel overlap. Surly and Rivendell
have the right idea---smaller frames should get smaller wheels. 650B is a
bit odd for a lot of people, but the 26" MTB wheel should have some appeal.
There are plenty of slick MTB tires available, and it would totally
eliminate the overlap problem. Have I mentioned that I hate overlap? :) I
hate having to be super careful when making low speed turns. Falling in a
parking lot would suck.

Gooserider wrote:
> I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

Not nice at all. I got a bike for $20, spent $0 rebuilding it. I took
it apart, cleaned it, used grease, cables, and housing and other parts
I had laying around home. Then I found I couldn't get the front wheel
to true at proper tension. Spent $15 at the used bike shop for a
better wheel and it came with a new tire.

Then I went to everyone at work and asked if they had any half-used
cans of spray paint in their garage. I collected half a dozen of
different colors and dumped them all on the frame. I even glued a
strip of shag carpeting to the top tube.

I call it Rambike (like Rambo, not afraid of anything). I do lock it
up but if someone steals it I don't care.

Tom

Gooserider wrote:
> "Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Gooserider wrote:
>>
>>>Being short sucks sometimes.

>>Yeah it does! I have trouble find the right size frame. Most shops only
>>keep a couple of models around in a small size.
>>

> Oh yeah that is a big problem. My local shop doesn't stock much in my size.
> Not a big problem for me because the bike I bought from them had to be
> ordered anyway. The bigger problem is toe/wheel overlap. Surly and Rivendell
> have the right idea---smaller frames should get smaller wheels. 650B is a
> bit odd for a lot of people, but the 26" MTB wheel should have some appeal.
> There are plenty of slick MTB tires available, and it would totally
> eliminate the overlap problem. Have I mentioned that I hate overlap? :) I
> hate having to be super careful when making low speed turns. Falling in a
> parking lot would suck.

Isn't this why the smaller Terry bicycles have a small front wheel (24")
and larger back wheel (700C)?

"Jeanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gooserider wrote:
>> "Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>Yeah it does! I have trouble find the right size frame. Most shops only
>>>keep a couple of models around in a small size.
>>>

>> Oh yeah that is a big problem. My local shop doesn't stock much in my
>> size. Not a big problem for me because the bike I bought from them had to
>> be ordered anyway. The bigger problem is toe/wheel overlap. Surly and
>> Rivendell have the right idea---smaller frames should get smaller wheels.
>> 650B is a bit odd for a lot of people, but the 26" MTB wheel should have
>> some appeal. There are plenty of slick MTB tires available, and it would
>> totally eliminate the overlap problem. Have I mentioned that I hate
>> overlap? :) I hate having to be super careful when making low speed
>> turns. Falling in a parking lot would suck.

> Isn't this why the smaller Terry bicycles have a small front wheel (24")
> and larger back wheel (700C)?

I think so, but that's an unnecessarily difficult way to deal with the
issue. Carrying two different sized tubes, or two different sized tires(on a
tour) is a PITA. Two smaller wheels fixes the problem. That's why Surly and
Rivendell do it that way. That's why Velo Orange is going to do it that way
on its smaller frames. I believe that 700c wheels on a small framed bike
that is designed to be fendered are a case of style over function. 56cm and
taller---no problem at all. I'm sure it's a pain for the manufacturers,
having to design two different framesets for the same model, and dealing
with speccing different wheels and tires, but it's a good idea, and lots
safer, IMHO.

Gooserider wrote:
> PS--The Raleigh One Way looks like a really cool bike. The only reason I'm
> not considering it is that I want to get away from 700c wheels on fendered
> bikes. I ride a 52cm and have front wheel/toe overlap with my Gunnar. A
> smaller wheel would fix that. That's why I'm debating between a 650B bike
> and a 26" wheeled bike. Being short sucks sometimes.

The One Way seems perfect for me. That's especially the case if it has
a veritable track hub and this rain in Atlanta keeps up. First week of
school and I've been caught in the rain 2 (kind of 3) times already.

I'd put real fenders on the current bike, but it's a 53 cm frame with a
few millimeters of tire clearance and I built it up to be my "fast"
bike. So I just stick to the clip-on rear fender.

For others interested: Raleigh finally got some info up on the website:
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?itemid=349

Turns out there is a real track hub and cog on there (sweet!)
\\paul

Gooserider wrote:
> PS--The Raleigh One Way looks like a really cool bike. The only reason I'm
> not considering it is that I want to get away from 700c wheels on fendered
> bikes. I ride a 52cm and have front wheel/toe overlap with my Gunnar. A
> smaller wheel would fix that. That's why I'm debating between a 650B bike
> and a 26" wheeled bike. Being short sucks sometimes.

The One Way seems perfect for me. That's especially the case if it has
a veritable track hub and this rain in Atlanta keeps up. First week of
school and I've been caught in the rain 2 (kind of 3) times already.

I'd put real fenders on the current bike, but it's a 53 cm frame with a
few millimeters of tire clearance and I built it up to be my "fast"
bike. So I just stick to the clip-on rear fender.

For others interested: Raleigh finally got some info up on the website:
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?itemid=349

Turns out there is a real track hub and cog on there (sweet!)
\\paul

On 24 Aug 2006 10:21:04 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> concluded:

>I call it Rambike (like Rambo, not afraid of anything). I do lock it
>up but if someone steals it I don't care.

A friend of mine was utterly shocked to find someone had stolen his
unlocked POS beater. He started walking home and found the thief had
abandoned his bike about two blocks away. He then felt insulted.
--
zk

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:49:04 GMT, "Gooserider"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

I secure my forty-punder with ten pounds of lock when I know it's
going to be parked for a while in certain neighbourhoods.

The frame cost me $30 with the crank it's still running but I've put
about ~$400 into the other parts. Plus the ~$130 for locks.

It has a badly scratched rattle-can paint job.
--
zk

It's funny.

It's not very nice... a old steel bianchi frame w/original cranks,
stem, flipped/chopped handlebars, seatpost (with clamp saddle
attachment), and brake. **** saddle, and the worst bar-tape job ever.
New cane creek brake lever, new handmade wheels (my own), 16 tooth cog.

Got the frame from a guy selling it, liked it BECAUSE of the
dents/paint scratches/falling off paint on fork.

Not worth much to anyone...

Except to me, 'cuz I made those wheels, I screwed up the handlebar
tape, and filed those handlebar ends 'till they were perfectly flat.

Guess I am just too sentimental.

-e

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

Usually just the $5 "beater" I picked at a yard sale. The fact that it
has 24-inch wheels might help deter interest, too. (I'm not as tall as
you.)

Sometimes my full-size (26-inch wheels) Dahon, but I usually "break"
it at the hinge and fold it around the bike rack.

My other bikes? Never. (I can bring my bike inside at work.)

Jim

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

It's a $300 Trek 7100, the lowest end hybrid. I've put about 12,000
miles on it and probably $400 into maintaining it because I don't do
too many of my own repairs. I leave a good chain and lock around a
lampost outside my office building and lock it there each morning and
take it home each night.

As an aside, I live about a mile from the National Tennis Center in
Flushing Meadow Corona Park where the US Open officially starts next
week. Twice this week I took off to go to the qualifying rounds, but
two other days, including today, I left another lock and chain around
a lampost there as I biked past it in the morning and I stop off on
the way home to watch the matches for a while. I can only do that for
the qualifying rounds; during the regular Open the cops won't let a
bike anywhere near it because they're afraid of pipe bombs. Then we
park the bikes at the Par3 golf course which is about 300 yards from
the east gate.

On 2006-08-24, Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Jeanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Isn't this why the smaller Terry bicycles have a small front wheel (24")
>> and larger back wheel (700C)?

> I think so, but that's an unnecessarily difficult way to deal with the
> issue. Carrying two different sized tubes, or two different sized tires(on a
> tour) is a PITA. Two smaller wheels fixes the problem. That's why Surly and
> Rivendell do it that way.

Back when Georgina Terry started designing bikes, the now-popular 650B
size was almost unheard of outside of Europe. That's why she settled on
24" front and 700C rear. Usable rims, tubes and tires in these sizes
were widely available even in fairly small towns -- an important
consideration if you're doing loaded touring.

There's just more choice in wheel sizes now than 20 years ago.

--

John ([email protected])

On 2006-08-24, Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:

> I mean the bike you regularly lock to bike racks and such.

Mine's nice, but doesn't look it:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/pictures/gallery/bikes/dsc01464

70s vintage Italian racing frame of unknown provenence. I got it 3rd
hand; the guy who gave it to me -- because the BB shell cracked all the
way around the seat tube -- rode it across the US in the Bikecentennial
event in 1976. I fixed the BB shell, sprayed some white primer on and
have been using it as my commuter bike ever since; about 20+ years now.

--

John ([email protected])

"John Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-08-24, Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Jeanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Isn't this why the smaller Terry bicycles have a small front wheel (24")
>>> and larger back wheel (700C)?

>> I think so, but that's an unnecessarily difficult way to deal with the
>> issue. Carrying two different sized tubes, or two different sized
>> tires(on a
>> tour) is a PITA. Two smaller wheels fixes the problem. That's why Surly
>> and
>> Rivendell do it that way.

> Back when Georgina Terry started designing bikes, the now-popular 650B
> size was almost unheard of outside of Europe. That's why she settled on
> 24" front and 700C rear. Usable rims, tubes and tires in these sizes
> were widely available even in fairly small towns -- an important
> consideration if you're doing loaded touring.
>
> There's just more choice in wheel sizes now than 20 years ago.

But surely she could have used the 650c, which was around, or 26"MTB sized.
26 inch tires and wheels were available 20 years ago.