Women's Schwinn World Sport

Chris BeHanna

Guest
My wife has a nice old (1990ish) Schwinn World Sport (from the era before
X-Mart Schwinns). It has a Sugino crankset, quill stem, indexed (near the
headset) shifters, and what appear to be tubular tires.

She's had problems with her shoulders, so she no longer rides this bike
(she's now on a Trek hybrid), and she'd like it out of the garage. It's
too nice of a bike to throw away, IMHO, and I'd like to find a home for it
with someone who will appreciate it.

Any ideas? bike-pgh.org has a "freecycle" program, so I could go that
route. The tubs make it kind of problematic--I think a set of clincher
wheels would make this a darned nice low-cost bike for someone.

Thanks,
--
Chris BeHanna

"Chris BeHanna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> My wife has a nice old (1990ish) Schwinn World Sport (from the era before
> X-Mart Schwinns). It has a Sugino crankset, quill stem, indexed (near the
> headset) shifters, and what appear to be tubular tires.
>
> She's had problems with her shoulders, so she no longer rides this bike
> (she's now on a Trek hybrid), and she'd like it out of the garage. It's
> too nice of a bike to throw away, IMHO, and I'd like to find a home for it
> with someone who will appreciate it.
>
> Any ideas? bike-pgh.org has a "freecycle" program, so I could go that
> route. The tubs make it kind of problematic--I think a set of clincher
> wheels would make this a darned nice low-cost bike for someone.

I just disposed of an unneeded bike "free" and got a lot of interest. This
was an old Schwinn Sprint 19 inch frame (for a short male) from the late
70's so there's some similarity.

You might want to try Craig's list.

> My wife has a nice old (1990ish) Schwinn World Sport (from the era before
> X-Mart Schwinns). It has a Sugino crankset, quill stem, indexed (near the
> headset) shifters, and what appear to be tubular tires.
>
> She's had problems with her shoulders, so she no longer rides this bike
> (she's now on a Trek hybrid), and she'd like it out of the garage. It's
> too nice of a bike to throw away, IMHO, and I'd like to find a home for it
> with someone who will appreciate it.
>
> Any ideas? bike-pgh.org has a "freecycle" program, so I could go that
> route. The tubs make it kind of problematic--I think a set of clincher
> wheels would make this a darned nice low-cost bike for someone.

I would help to know the area you live... aha, Western Pennsylvania! (I
checked out the domain from your email address).

So, the question becomes, does anyone know of any good bike charity in
Western Pennsylvania?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Chris BeHanna wrote:
> Any ideas? bike-pgh.org has a "freecycle" program, so I could go that
> route. >

Late last fall, Jerry Kraynik of Kraynik's Bike Shop on Penn Ave.
(412-621-6160) & Pittsburgh FreeCycle were asking for donations of
bikes suitable for resurrecting so they could give them to deserving
kids for Christmas. Why not give them a call??

Bluetail

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:42:49 -0700, Bluetail wrote:

> Chris BeHanna wrote:
>> Any ideas? bike-pgh.org has a "freecycle" program, so I could go that
>> route.

> Late last fall, Jerry Kraynik of Kraynik's Bike Shop on Penn Ave.
> (412-621-6160) & Pittsburgh FreeCycle were asking for donations of
> bikes suitable for resurrecting so they could give them to deserving
> kids for Christmas. Why not give them a call??

That sounds like an excellent idea.

--
Chris BeHanna