Melb: TimC's going away ride

TimC

Guest
There's a couple of people here who may not be on the
bikefunnist/cm-melb list where this was advertised, and who may still
be interested:

> *********************************
> Sun 3 Sept - Going away for TimC -[BFM]
> *********************************
> Meet 5:45PM, under the clocks at Flinders St
> Tim is going NSW to gaze at stars, so come farewell him. Ride from
> Flinders St to Jells Park (~26km). Picnic at Jells Park and snacks
> along the way. Catch the train back if you want.
> Preliminary route:
> http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Glen-Waverley-to-Flinders-St
> organiser: TimC

That's this coming Sunday. The aim is to get to the park in time to
snack and still be able to catch the last train back into the city
from Glen Waverley at 10:48pm, for at least the people who want to do
that.

If you don't want to ride the whole way, I think we'll meet near the
BBQs at Jells Park, although I've never been there, so don't know what
it's like.

My plan is to ride along the bikely route given in that link -- the
gardiners creek path and then scotchmans ck, until the path doubles
back onto waverley road and ends, then just go down waverley road. If
you want only to ride some of it, we can either find someone with a
working mobile who's going to be riding the whole way, or you can
perhaps just start from Glen Waverley at an appropriate time (I don't
know what time we will arrive at Jells Park -- it depends on who's the
slowest, and what picnic stops we make along the way), and then
reverse the route until you come across us (hopefully there'll be
enough of us colourful enough to be identifiable :)

--
TimC
That [Tim-Tam] would be the Classic. Not to be confused with the

TimC wrote:

> There's a couple of people here who may not be on the
> bikefunnist/cm-melb list where this was advertised, and who may still
> be interested:
>
> > *********************************
> > Sun 3 Sept - Going away for TimC -[BFM]
> > *********************************
> > Meet 5:45PM, under the clocks at Flinders St
> > Tim is going NSW to gaze at stars, so come farewell him. Ride from
> > Flinders St to Jells Park (~26km). Picnic at Jells Park and snacks
> > along the way. Catch the train back if you want.
> > Preliminary route:
> > http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Glen-Waverley-to-Flinders-St
> > organiser: TimC

<snip>
I think you should travel via Qld... come for a lard **** ride.

Tam

We'll try to attend, although I'm hardly match fit, ie: recoverying from surgery last week. The Bloke should be there though, with valuable beer supplies. ;)

TimC said:
If you don't want to ride the whole way, I think we'll meet near the
BBQs at Jells Park, although I've never been there, so don't know what
it's like.
I sent some of this in an email to TimC this morning, assuming I remembered to press the "send now" button. Otherwise he'll get it tonight...

There are 6 BBQ areas in Jells Park. You'll need to specify which one. Map at http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0346.pdf
The electric BBQs are at the Ferntree Gully Rd end. If there are pyromaniacs in the group, the wood BBQs are near the Jells Park Tea House http://www.jellsteahouse.com.au/ Wood provided (pine offcuts) but you need to bring kindling and other firelighting material.

Reset your cycle computer maximum speed before your reach the Police Academy on Waverley Rd, then see if you can reach the speed limit as you head down the hill :)

On 2006-08-31, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

> We'll try to attend, although I'm hardly match fit, ie: recoverying from
> surgery last week. The Bloke should be there though, with valuable beer
> supplies. ;)

Christ, you too? Anything bad?

I'm going into hospital tomorrow to have a tube stuck down my throat.
"you should feel OK to race the day after, you'll only be under light
sedation"

--
TimC
"I often hear people claim they perform skills better slightly drunk if

On 2006-08-31, ghostgum (aka Bruce)

> TimC Wrote:
>>
>> If you don't want to ride the whole way, I think we'll meet near the
>> BBQs at Jells Park, although I've never been there, so don't know what
>> it's like.

> I sent some of this in an email to TimC this morning, assuming I
> remembered to press the "send now" button. Otherwise he'll get it
> tonight...

Tonight, I think :)

> There are 6 BBQ areas in Jells Park. You'll need to specify which one.
> Map at http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0346.pdf

Hmmm, the one to the right of "Pines Picnic Area" looks as good as any
of the others (next to jells road) :)

> Reset your cycle computer maximum speed before your reach the Police
> Academy on Waverley Rd, then see if you can reach the speed limit as
> you head down the hill :)

70km/h?

For added bonus, fly past the police academy at 20km/h+ the limit :)

--
TimC
Love makes the world go 'round, with a little help from intrinsic

TimC said:

> Reset your cycle computer maximum speed before your reach the Police
> Academy on Waverley Rd, then see if you can reach the speed limit as
> you head down the hill :)

70km/h?

For added bonus, fly past the police academy at 20km/h+ the limit :)

Speed limit is 60km/h.

Could be tricky doing 80km/h past the academy - you are on a slight uphill grade then flattening at that point. You don't reach the steep down hill until you are out of sight.

ghostgum wrote:

> TimC Wrote:
> >

> > > Reset your cycle computer maximum speed before your reach the Police
> > > Academy on Waverley Rd, then see if you can reach the speed limit as
> > > you head down the hill :)

> > 70km/h?
> >
> > For added bonus, fly past the police academy at 20km/h+ the limit :)
> >

> Speed limit is 60km/h.
>
> Could be tricky doing 80km/h past the academy - you are on a slight
> uphill grade then flattening at that point. You don't reach the steep
> down hill until you are out of sight.
>

> --
> ghostgum2

The really steep bit from the roundabout at the top of the hill is less
than 400m long at around 10% (guesstimate) and it flattens out for
another 400 m before rounding the corner. I'd be careful about going
down there too fast on the bike because of cars pulling out from side
streets.

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> I think you should travel via Qld... come for a lard **** ride.

eh, it might take too long - the Bris section at least!

Donga

TimC said:
Christ, you too? Anything bad?

I'm going into hospital tomorrow to have a tube stuck down my throat.
"you should feel OK to race the day after, you'll only be under light
sedation"

I practically lost my voice a couple of days after the tube-down-throat. Small issue though, the op was a success & hopefully I'll be out hill training soon. A day at a time. ;)

TimC wrote:
> There's a couple of people here who may not be on the
> bikefunnist/cm-melb list where this was advertised, and who may still
> be interested:

<snipped>

See ya under the clocks Tim

--