RR: Epic

monsterman

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
'twas not our day.

I snapped a chain at 12km. 10 minutes and 2 links later, we were ready to head off when another rider slipped his chain and failed to unclip in time - falling into my mate, Peter. This chap's head / shoulder hit Peter's front wheel and turned it into a taco. The wheel could not even turn one rev inside the forks.

We pulled and pushed it and put it on rocks and jumped on it until it could just rotate within the forks. We had to disengage front brakes and remove pads. It still lightly rubbed on the fork as the buckled section passed through - sounded like a duck was following me.

We limped into checkpoint 1 at 28km. No course mechanic until c'point #2. The bloke that crashed into the wheel comes running over and says his mate has snapped his seat-post, and that if he cant repair it we can have his front wheel. The saboteur's front wheel would not fit Peter's bike, because it was a disk and Peter has the cantilevered old style wheels. We wait for 30 mins while the snapped seat-post guy's sister drives in from Laidley with the post and saddle off her bike. It's a larger diameter post, but the bloke slams it in with a mallet and tightens it up with a hose clamp. No luck for us, so we head off the c'point #2. Peter has no front brakes and a wobbly dodgy front wheel. Very courageous display to tackle the downside of the razor back in that fashion.

We rolled into c'point #2 at the 58km mark and visited the mechanic. He thinks he can fix it, but we have to wait while he does other jobs in the queue, as well as any other minor job that comes in after us - because the wheel will take him more time. Can't argue with that approach, and anyway we had lost so much time by then we were just in it to finish anyway by this stage. Anyhoo, mechanic cant get the wheel in any better shape, so faced with riding the last 50km with no front brakes on a very dodgy wobbly wheel that could pop at any time, the sensible option was to abandon. Not happy, but there you go that's racing. We'll be back next year.

A big thankyou *(and therefore a big plug) to Nick Frederickson from Race Elements personal trainers up here in Bne. Nick pulled over to give us a hand with the chain and the f*cked wheel. The only reason he was not way ahead of us at that stage was that he was chaperoning his gf / fiance for the day. Nick and his brother Simon own and run Race Elements. They are both well credentialled MTB racers, and great blokes to boot. Race Elements has a strong focus on MTB. Peter and I went to see Simon for a program earlier this year and I highly recommend them.

monsterman wrote:
> he was chaperoning his gf
> / fiance for the day.

surely it would be worth getting one for more than a day, maybe he
should have negotiated a weekly rate.

sigh, back to work.

DaveB

Monsterman wrote:

> It's a larger diameter post, but the bloke
> slams it in with a mallet and tightens it up
> with a hose clamp.

You guys came off easily compared to him. You just need a new front wheel - he's stuffed his frame.

Cheers,

Suzy

suzyj said:
Monsterman wrote:

> It's a larger diameter post, but the bloke
> slams it in with a mallet and tightens it up
> with a hose clamp.

You guys came off easily compared to him. You just need a new front wheel - he's stuffed his frame.

Cheers,

Suzy
In his defence, it was a complete sh*t frame that had seen better days. I sure had some other uses for that mallet in mind at the time:D

monsterman wrote:
> 'twas not our day.

Bad luck MM. I guess you would be comforted by the stories about how
hard it was. I had to bail out myself - spent 12 hours yesterday
rewriting a paper I'm giving this week. My training mates were
shattered - riding times of 7.15 and 7.30 and Timbo did 6.30 overall.
Just for good measure, the organisers chucked in 20 km of singletrack
at the end, for 110 km total ... so I got to ride this morning and did
a PB up cootha's backside - 11.55.

Donga

Donga said:
monsterman wrote:
> 'twas not our day.

Bad luck MM. I guess you would be comforted by the stories about how
hard it was. I had to bail out myself - spent 12 hours yesterday
rewriting a paper I'm giving this week. My training mates were
shattered - riding times of 7.15 and 7.30 and Timbo did 6.30 overall.
Just for good measure, the organisers chucked in 20 km of singletrack
at the end, for 110 km total ... so I got to ride this morning and did
a PB up cootha's backside - 11.55.

Donga
the guys out at Velo told me last week about the extra single track at the back end. They said there was a particular hill that was not at all rideable. Shame I didn't get to see it.

"monsterman" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> 'twas not our day.
>
> I snapped a chain at 12km. 10 minutes and 2 links later, we were ready
> to head off when another rider slipped his chain and failed to unclip in
> time - falling into my mate, Peter. This chap's head / shoulder hit
> Peter's front wheel and turned it into a taco. The wheel could not
> even turn one rev inside the forks.

[snippo]
> monsterman

What a shitter - bad luck! I have to ask though...how was the guys head
after pretzeling the wheel!?

Anyhow after DNFing last year with a mechanical, I feel your pain. What's
even worse is when people say "oh well - there's always next year" - I HATE
THAT!!!!

Adam

adam85 said:
I have to ask though...how was the guys head
after pretzeling the wheel!?

Anyhow after DNFing last year with a mechanical, I feel your pain. What's
even worse is when people say "oh well - there's always next year" - I HATE
THAT!!!!

Adam
he seemed fine. it was a very unremarkable incident. Peter was very surprised to see his wheel end up like that after such a minor thing

adam85 said:
What a shitter - bad luck! I have to ask though...how was the guys head
after pretzeling the wheel!?

Anyhow after DNFing last year with a mechanical, I feel your pain. What's
even worse is when people say "oh well - there's always next year" - I HATE
THAT!!!!

Adam

That's one of my very pet hate phrases also Adam. I had a (ex)boss cancel leave on me at Friday 6.30pm (leave due to start on the Monday) to attend national masters track last year. Her parting words: "there's always next year". I still have a rage attack when I think about that, and hear those words.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Anything that stops you finishing an event or race is a b!tch, I feel your frustration MM. Sounds like it was one of those character-building days. ;)

LotteBum said:
Bummer dude! On the upside, did you pick up any hookers in Toowoomba?
Well we got into town quite late on Saturday, so I had to settle for a stupid one. I asked her to polish the cranks and she ended up breaking the chain

[line, stepped over ....sorry everyone Lotte made me do it :eek: ]

monsterman said:
Well we got into town quite late on Saturday, so I had to settle for a stupid one. I asked her to polish the cranks and she ended up breaking the chain
What a stupid mole. Next time, spend up big.

Lotte

"LotteBum" wrote
> monsterman Wrote:

> > Well we got into town quite late on Saturday, so I had to settle

for a
> > stupid one. I asked her to polish the cranks and she ended up

breaking
> > the chain

> What a stupid mole. Next time, spend up big.

It's moll Lotte. Huh? For more money you get a better moll?

Theo

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 10:12:51 +0000, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> It's moll Lotte. Huh? For more money you get a better moll?

Given the pronunciation I'd tend to say Lotte was correct. Moll is a
gangster's floozy (almost without exception used in the phrase gangster's
moll, at least in relatively recent text).

For a bogan chick I'd say mole was closer to the correct spelling. A
little ugly lump seems to match the connotations better as well.

***********, I'm defending Lotte's choice of epithet... (good sigmonster)

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what

monsterman wrote:

> 'twas not our day.
>
> I snapped a chain at 12km. 10 minutes and 2 links later, we were ready
> to head off when another rider slipped his chain and failed to unclip in
> time - falling into my mate, Peter. This chap's head / shoulder hit
> Peter's front wheel and turned it into a taco. The wheel could not
> even turn one rev inside the forks.

Mmmmh Taco... Montezuma's in Toowoomba is just about the
best Montezuma's anywhere (which doesn't mean it is the best
Mexican food, but it's big and filling and they have
Sangria...)

<snip>

> We rolled into c'point #2 at the 58km mark and visited the mechanic.
> He thinks he can fix it, but we have to wait while he does other jobs
> in the queue, as well as any other minor job that comes in after us -
> because the wheel will take him more time. Can't argue with that
> approach, and anyway we had lost so much time by then we were just in
> it to finish anyway by this stage. Anyhoo, mechanic cant get the wheel
> in any better shape, so faced with riding the last 50km with no front
> brakes on a very dodgy wobbly wheel that could pop at any time, the
> sensible option was to abandon. Not happy, but there you go that's
> racing. We'll be back next year.

Most of the course gets better from there, doesn't it? It
was very nice of you to pull out as well, given your bike
was okay. I wouldn't have done that.

> A big thankyou *(and therefore a big plug) to Nick Frederickson from
> Race Elements personal trainers up here in Bne. Nick pulled over to
> give us a hand with the chain and the f*cked wheel. The only reason he
> was not way ahead of us at that stage was that he was chaperoning his gf
> / fiance for the day. Nick and his brother Simon own and run Race
> Elements. They are both well credentialled MTB racers, and great
> blokes to boot. Race Elements has a strong focus on MTB. Peter and I
> went to see Simon for a program earlier this year and I highly
> recommend them.

Nick and Simon Freddo are mates of mine and yeah, they are
both top blokes.

Tam