or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3" vs. 2.6" Muni tire

post #1 of 8
i have a 2.6" Kenda Muni tire and i was considering getting a 3" Duro
tire on my Dx. Does the 3" make that much of a difference for
downhill/trails?

--
The Bruiser

lvl 1 unicyclist w00t w00t
The Bruiser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11352
post #2 of 8

Re: 3" vs. 2.6" Muni tire

I would recomend you against it. Unless you really wat to get serious in
more technical muni.

A 3" tire absorbs more impact, is better for drops and loose dirt/sand
and snow. But it also makes the uni a lot heavier and less manuaverable
if you ride on something else besdies dirt.

The Kenda Kinetics on the DX is a nice tire, and is a little more
rounded than 3" tires.

--
forrestunifreak

"I never thought I'd hear myself saying this but if it comes down to
blue nipples that are (weak), or plain strong ones, I'll most likely go
for the blue ones..."~Andrew Carter

you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)
post #3 of 8

Re: 3" vs. 2.6" Muni tire

id say get a 3.0 when your 2.6 is worn out enouph for a new tire. But
really its not much bigger than the 2.6, if someone who didnt know
anything about the tires looked at them they would think they are both
the same "bigness".

--
musketman
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

Re: 3" vs. 2.6" Muni tire

3" is about 15% more than 2.6". That's significant.

In my experience, for comparison, a 2.4" is an entirely different
proposition than a 1.95". A fat tyre helps so much with just rolling
over stuff. I would extrapolate that a 3" would be even better at
rolling over stuff than a 2.4".

My limited experience is that super fat tyres also help with bouncing.
On the other hand, the extra weight will be a factor with changes of
speed and direction.

To my mind, the most important aspect of a tyre is its cross section:
rounded is good, squarish is bad. As I've posted elsewhere, the change
from Gazz to Holy Roller was an eye-opener for me. Virtually the same
size (2.3" and 2.4") but the HR is 100 times easier to ride.

Ultimately, your tyre choice must depend on your experience, your
riding style, your likely terrain, and so on. How much mud? How many
rocks?

Be prepared to make purchasing errors, as you strive to build the
perfect unicycle for your riding style.

--
Mikefule

I don't know where I'm going, but I've got to get there soon
post #5 of 8

Re: 3" vs. 2.6" Muni tire

would a 3" help for down hill because right now when i try to slow
myself down my uni just slides down the hill without me so i was
thinking 3" would give me more traction. My back yard is like Downhill
City so thats prob what im gonna be doing the most.

--
The Bruiser

lvl 1 unicyclist w00t w00t
The Bruiser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11352
post #6 of 8

Re: 3" vs. 2.6" Muni tire

I've been riding a Gazz 3.0" for a couple of years now, and recently got
a Kenda 2.6" on a new unicycle (KH XC). The biggest difference I
notice between the two is that the 3.0" is more solid on loose stuff,
scree and deep gravel especially. The 2.6" also has to run at a
somewhat higher pressure to keep from bottoming; I run the Gazz at
17-18 psi, while if I'm doing any technical stuff the 2.6" has to run
at more like 22-24psi.

The main advantage of the 2.6" uni is that it's noticably lighter; that
makes it more manuverable on technical stuff, as well as less tiring to
push up unrideable stuff.

For 80% of my riding, the difference isn't really noticable. I'm
probably going to put 170mm cranks on the XC and bring it to Moab this
year, just for the weight savings (there's a lot of steep uphill on
Slickrock), and I probably will not swap out the tire.

--
tholub
post #7 of 8

Re: 3" vs. 2.6" Muni tire

The Bruiser wrote:
> would a 3" help for down hill because right now when i try to slow
> myself down my uni just slides down the hill without me so i was
> thinking 3" would give me more traction. My back yard is like Downhill
> City so thats prob what im gonna be doing the most.

I think (but correct me if I'm wrong), that the 24" rim and 3" tyre
were developed in mountain biking (2 wheel version) precisely for
downhill stuff?

I've used mainly 3" tyre (duro) and found it very nice on a 24" wheel,
it doesn't feel particularly heavy and makes for a smooth ride.

I found with 26x3" that the tyre did feel a bit too heavy, and, had I
persisted with a 26" rim I would have been inclined to try out a 2.6"
tyre.

As for 3" tyre varieties, i initially went for the Duro as it was
cheaper than the Gazz, but subsequently have seen a lot of posts on
this board saying that, in many ways, it has other advantages over the
Gazz (slightly lighter, rounder profile etc).

--
onewheeldave

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32
onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874
post #8 of 8

Re: 3" vs. 2.6" Muni tire

--
Mikefule

I don't know where I'm going, but I've got to get there soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: rec.sport.unicycling