Will an 11 cog wheel work instead of a 13 cog on a Shimano megarange?

I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
problems with the existing chain / front crankset?

Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

Thanks

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?
>
> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

There is a problem replacing the first (smallest)
cogwheel because it is different from the inside
cogwheels. Be sure the chain is long enough, even
though it is only two more cogs; or replace the chain.
See Sheldon's pages for cogwheel replacement, and chain
fitting details.

Someone wrote:
> I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?

If the sprocketsn are worn, the chain is definitely toasted. You will
certainly need a new chain. Shouldn't be any issue witth the cranks.

> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

No, not possible, the replacement parts are not available. Also, the
11-34 is a totally different mechanism than that used in the 11-34.
Shimano had to completely re-invent the freewheel to get an 11 to work.
The result is the finest freewheel ever made, and it's dirt cheap!
See: http://sheldonbrown.com/mega7

Sheldon "Seven Come Eleven" Brown

[email protected] wrote:
> I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?

No

> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

Yes but shiftimng off the 11t 'may' be problematic.

> Thanks

Replace the whole freewheel with another Mega 7 and you will have no
problems. They're cheap enough, too.

news:[email protected]...

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:12:22 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article
><[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
>> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
>> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
>> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
>> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?
>>
>> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
>> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

>There is a problem replacing the first (smallest)
>cogwheel because it is different from the inside
>cogwheels. Be sure the chain is long enough, even
>though it is only two more cogs; or replace the chain.
>See Sheldon's pages for cogwheel replacement, and chain
>fitting details.

Uh.. he's going from a 13 to an 11, if anything, he should make sure the
chain isn't too long. The large/large combination will remain the same,
therefore minimum chain length stays the same.

Jasper