Because unicycles don't have chains.

When I started riding bike trials, I thought I was done with unicycling.
In a matter of weeks, I could gap and up anything I could on a
unicycle. But I started breaking stuff on almost every ride; shain
snaps, derailure hangers, I even ruptured a magura line.

Since then, I've gained a renewed respect for the single wheels.
They're so simple, reliable, and cheap compared to bikes. I've also
found that tech trials lines are alot easier on a uni.

chain snap at this point in your ride = death

|Filename: gapdrop!.jpg |

onetrack

"People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
lines."
-Klaas Bil

I pulled a sick trey varial hickflip over an 8 set yesterday, but
unfortunately it was supposed to be seat in to seat out. I've named it
the dioflip
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

onetrack wrote:
> When I started riding bike trials, I thought I was done with unicycling.
> In a matter of weeks, I could gap and up anything I could on a
> unicycle. But I started breaking stuff on almost every ride; shain
> snaps, derailure hangers, I even ruptured a magura line.
>
> Since then, I've gained a renewed respect for the single wheels.
> They're so simple, reliable, and cheap compared to bikes. I've also
> found that tech trials lines are alot easier on a uni.
>

> chain snap at this point in your ride = death
> 15855

That better not be you in that pic, mike.

--
Evan Byrne

'The future of bc wheeling is in this link.'
(http://tinyurl.com/ympnn2)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:D Its finnished.:D
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

benjaug wrote:
> Probably worse than on a bike... 5 feet down would hurt after a popped
> link..

Aye, but on a bike you're going a lot faster...usually. Unless its
been geared up to coker speeds...that would be terrible.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://www.barefoothippie.com)
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
*♥ Unicycle For Peace ♥*
-last edited by skrobo : today at 11:41 am.-

BluntRM wrote:
> My junk bike popped a chain link as I sped across an intersection: one
> flip and a head plant later and I'm a unicycle purist.

heh sig worthy?

--
vuniw

unicycle isnt a hobby, its a life style

yea I guess you can say I am into the MR thing

vuniw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12772

onetrack wrote:
> When I started riding bike trials, I thought I was done with unicycling.
> In a matter of weeks, I could gap and up anything I could on a
> unicycle. But I started breaking stuff on almost every ride; shain
> snaps, derailure hangers, I even ruptured a magura line.
>
> Since then, I've gained a renewed respect for the single wheels.
> They're so simple, reliable, and cheap compared to bikes. I've also
> found that tech trials lines are alot easier on a uni.
>

> chain snap at this point in your ride = death
> 15855

man u have to get usted to that happing if ur going to do tryil on a
bike a brocken hanger is a verry common thing chain bracking not so
mutch but it happens i have a norco ryde and lol stuff like that
happens lol keep ryding tim

--
timtimtimmy

**I cant spell !!!! so leave me alone
timtimtimmy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13504

--
Naomi

Common Abbreviations:
1) G.F. Girlfriend
2) B.F. That Bloody Fool she is going out with.
Naomi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3322

Evan Byrne wrote:
> That better not be you in that pic, mike.

It looks like Martin Ashton to me.

T.

Edit: After zooming into it, my flatmate agrees with me.

--
DarkTom

RIP STEVE IRWIN
Check out the stuff 'I'm selling'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=283272)
A '20\"' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52813) and
some random stuff.
'My Gallery' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=155049)
'My YouTube Gallery'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=darktomunicycles)
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

Naomi wrote:
> DON'T tell anyone with a bike that!

I meant easier for me. I'm still new to bike trials, but can pull of
lines on my uni that trials vets struggle with on their bikes.

tom, yeah it's ashton.

--

onelesscar wrote:
> giraffes have chains, and a popped link on one of those at speed could
> be catastrophic too...

The words "speed" and "giraffe" usually cannot be used in the same
sentence.

I knew a professional entertainer who wasn't sure how to adjust the
chain tension on his DM 5 footer. He accidentally did it too tight and
the chain -did- snap on him during a performance. Fortuantely on his
-twin-chained- DM, the other one held up for long enough before it was
repaired.

--
gkmac

"It's a marvellous thing to see, someone in full flight on the
unicycle." - Stuart Maconie, Radio 2
"Oh no! Both my toes have gone numb!" - Joe Hodges
"You also met me gk! I was the one eating the sandwich!" - Adam Gayne
"Act your tyre pressure, not your age." - rob.northcott
gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

Does anybody use twin chains on trials bikes? Seems like it would be
easy enough to do with a single-speed setup. If snapping chains is a
problem I'm surprised if nobody's done it.

Rob

--
rob.northcott

'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
weekend in May 2006
Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.