or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

swimming technique programs

post #1 of 10
I am a runner who is getting into triathlons and have been swimming for
about 2 months but with no real guidance. Someone told me about a book
called Total Immersion and I was hoping to get some second opinions on
the quality of the instruction. I hate to start practicing form that
was incorrect. Thanks for your help!
--Will
post #2 of 10

Re: swimming technique programs

flanskyfan27 wrote:
> I am a runner who is getting into triathlons and have been swimming for
> about 2 months but with no real guidance. Someone told me about a book
> called Total Immersion and I was hoping to get some second opinions on
> the quality of the instruction. I hate to start practicing form that
> was incorrect. Thanks for your help!
> --Will

I got the DVD and the triathlon based book. I never really followed
their drills, but got enough pointers (mainly from the DVD) that changed
my technique, particularly my body position in the water, to be more
efficient. I wouldn't say I am faster as a result, but I can swim a lot
further than I ever would have been able to using my old inefficient
technique, and can get out of the water feeling good. For me it was
money well spent, particularly the DVD.

jh
post #3 of 10

jh wrote:

> flanskyfan27 wrote:
> > I am a runner who is getting into triathlons and have been swimming for
> > about 2 months but with no real guidance. Someone told me about a book
> > called Total Immersion and I was hoping to get some second opinions on
> > the quality of the instruction. I hate to start practicing form that
> > was incorrect. Thanks for your help!
> > --Will
> >

> I got the DVD and the triathlon based book. I never really followed
> their drills, but got enough pointers (mainly from the DVD) that changed
> my technique, particularly my body position in the water, to be more
> efficient. I wouldn't say I am faster as a result, but I can swim a lot
> further than I ever would have been able to using my old inefficient
> technique, and can get out of the water feeling good. For me it was
> money well spent, particularly the DVD.
>
> jh

I have the book and I recommend it to everyone. It really explains how
to feel balanced in the water, so that your arms don't have to push you
up. It particularly made it easier for me to breathe when swimming. I
was already doing the drills with a coach, but the book carried all the
explanations behind it, and suddenly it all made sense.

Tam
post #4 of 10

Harold Buck wrote:

> In article <gwyLf.498$fL3.212@fed1read01>,
> "Tony" <calfmaster2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I looked at it in the book store and it looked a little too scientific for
> > me. I had to take a second look and make sure I was not reading a math text
> > book.

> You've got to be kidding me. Sure, he explains a little of the science
> behind it, but not very technically, and that doesn't come into play
> when he's explaining how to do it.
>
> When I read it, I just kept thinking, "Yeah, I get it, there are
> scientific reasons that it works. I understand, and I'm convinced! Now
> just tell me how to swim faster!"
>
> --Harold Buck
>
> "Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."
>
> -Homer J. Simpson

I actually can't remember seeing a single equation in there...

Tam
post #5 of 10

Re: swimming technique programs

I just returned from the Seattle Total Immersion camp a couple weeks ago and
it was LIFE-CHANGING. Ironman Canada this year might not be as bad as I
originally expected

If you can at least read the book and practice what it teaches, you WILL
become a better swimmer. If you can get to a camp - I highly recommend it!

Tavis
www.gymskinz.com
High / Low / No Performance Apparel with Attitude!

"flanskyfan27" <flanskyfan27@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am a runner who is getting into triathlons and have been swimming for
> about 2 months but with no real guidance. Someone told me about a book
> called Total Immersion and I was hoping to get some second opinions on
> the quality of the instruction. I hate to start practicing form that
> was incorrect. Thanks for your help!
> --Will

post #6 of 10

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Harold Buck wrote:
>
>>In article <gwyLf.498$fL3.212@fed1read01>,
>> "Tony" <calfmaster2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I looked at it in the book store and it looked a little too scientific for
>>>me. I had to take a second look and make sure I was not reading a math text
>>>book.

>>You've got to be kidding me. Sure, he explains a little of the science
>>behind it, but not very technically, and that doesn't come into play
>>when he's explaining how to do it.
>>
>>When I read it, I just kept thinking, "Yeah, I get it, there are
>>scientific reasons that it works. I understand, and I'm convinced! Now
>>just tell me how to swim faster!"
>>
>>--Harold Buck
>>
>>"Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."
>>
>> -Homer J. Simpson

> I actually can't remember seeing a single equation in there...

I've got the book in front of me. There is one paragraph in Chapter 2
where he says V = SL x SR. (V=Velocity, SL=stroke length, SR=stroke rate).

Doesn't intimidate _me_ but then 6th grade math never did.
post #7 of 10

Tim Lines wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Harold Buck wrote:

> >>You've got to be kidding me. Sure, he explains a little of the science
> >>behind it, but not very technically, and that doesn't come into play
> >>when he's explaining how to do it.
> >>
> >>When I read it, I just kept thinking, "Yeah, I get it, there are
> >>scientific reasons that it works. I understand, and I'm convinced! Now
> >>just tell me how to swim faster!"
> >>
> >>--Harold Buck
> >>
> >>"Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."
> >>
> >> -Homer J. Simpson

> > I actually can't remember seeing a single equation in there...
> >

> I've got the book in front of me. There is one paragraph in Chapter 2
> where he says V = SL x SR. (V=Velocity, SL=stroke length, SR=stroke rate).
>
> Doesn't intimidate _me_ but then 6th grade math never did.

Maybe they could change it to apples and oranges, to make it more
acceptable to a wider audience? ;-)

Tam
post #8 of 10

Re: swimming technique programs

Couldn't be any easier to follow this book. Even being an "advanced"
swimmer I've tweaked my stroke quite a bit using this book (bought the
DVD too but didn't find it that helpful, they refunded me no problem).
Definitely worth the few bucks, wish I'd had this when I started
swimming years ago! Key is, you actually have to do what it says and
practice it often to get any benefit, duh!
post #9 of 10

Re: swimming technique programs

Something to consider -- I learned TI to correct my technique and
develop "front-quadrant" timing for my stroke. As I've been
progressing, I have learned to shorten the time between the completion
of the pull to the recovery and re-entry. TI teaches a longer delay
between the completion of the pull to the recovery but this can slow the
stroke speeed.

Some of the other coaches that I have met have encouraged a faster
recovery but same front-quadrant approach which helps in the turnover
for the stroke rate.

All in all, I have found TI to be very successful in improving my
swimming technique (and continues to be a part of my regiment)... for my
long distance swimming, it has improved my times to the order of 20
seconds/100 yards since last year.

"Triathlete" <NOTriathleteSPAM@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Harold Buck wrote:
>
> > In article <0B6Pf.4817$p43.240@fed1read05>,
> > "Tony" <calfmaster2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Ok, ok, ok,
> >>
> >>I broke down and bought the book tonight. I hope it is as good as you guys
> >>say.

> > Ha ha! We suckered another one into buying it!
> >
> > Just kidding; it's good.

> I just bought the triathlon book and dvd. They are more helpful then the
> first Total Immersion book that I read only parts of.
>
> I was able to get all the drills down very easily, except the last
> drill where I start to swim with real strokes. I also sink a lot when I
> do the zipper drill. I like the "zen" method of the triathlon book.
>
> I will have to try those two drills out again. *crosses fingers*.
>
> The methods given in the tri book and dvd are a bit different (it is
> nice to compare the two), but really simple, fun, and interesting feeling.
post #10 of 10

Re: swimming technique programs

Ah! It doesn't come for free in the beginning -- muscle memory needs to
be built. I would never call it "effortless" but "less effort".

--
Bryan Woodruff
Redmond, WA

> Bryan Woodruff wrote:
>
> > All in all, I have found TI to be very successful in improving my
> > swimming technique (and continues to be a part of my regiment)... for my
> > long distance swimming, it has improved my times to the order of 20
> > seconds/100 yards since last year.

> I tried the full technique in the long pool today. I have never had such
> an "effortless" swim turn out to be so exhausting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Triathlon