or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magnesium BB Shell: Low Torque, LocTite Red?

post #1 of 4
Looks like I'm getting a warranty replacement on the magnesium Maverick monolink
BB shell whose threads I managed to tear out the other day.

Had a chance to opt for a redesigned version in Alu, but that would have
required a new (wider) spindle and also moved the cranks about an inch
forward; so I stuck with the older magnesium version.

From what I've heard so far, magnesium is a step below Alu in toughness and is
significantly more susceptible to corrosion from salt water/salt air.

Given that, I'm thinking:
1) Ignore Shimano's (rather high 50-70nm) torque specs when
installing the spindle.

2) Set both drive side and the plastic cup on the non-drive side in
LocTite Red.

3) Torque to maybe 30nm and let the LocTite go off overnite.

Rationale:
- The Red LocTite will counterbalance the reduced torque

- The Red LocTite will seal it better - preventing infiltration by water
into the threads.

- If/when I need to remove it, a little careful application of heat should
break down the LocTite.

Anybody have some thoughts on this?
--
PeteCresswell
post #2 of 4

Re: Magnesium BB Shell: Low Torque, LocTite Red?

"(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote in message
> Looks like I'm getting a warranty replacement on the magnesium Maverick

monolink
> BB shell whose threads I managed to tear out the other day.
>
> Had a chance to opt for a redesigned version in Alu, but that would have
> required a new (wider) spindle and also moved the cranks about an inch
> forward; so I stuck with the older magnesium version.
>
> From what I've heard so far, magnesium is a step below Alu in toughness

and is
> significantly more susceptible to corrosion from salt water/salt air.
>
> Given that, I'm thinking:
> 1) Ignore Shimano's (rather high 50-70nm) torque specs when
> installing the spindle.
>
> 2) Set both drive side and the plastic cup on the non-drive side in
> LocTite Red.
>
> 3) Torque to maybe 30nm and let the LocTite go off overnite.
>
> Rationale:
> - The Red LocTite will counterbalance the reduced torque
>
> - The Red LocTite will seal it better - preventing infiltration by water
> into the threads.
>
> - If/when I need to remove it, a little careful application of heat should
> break down the LocTite.
>
> Anybody have some thoughts on this?

Yeah, the above sounds good then I'd find someone to off-load this bike to
ASAP.

Greg
post #3 of 4

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Looks like I'm getting a warranty replacement on the magnesium Maverick monolink
> BB shell whose threads I managed to tear out the other day.
>
> Had a chance to opt for a redesigned version in Alu, but that would have
> required a new (wider) spindle and also moved the cranks about an inch
> forward; so I stuck with the older magnesium version.
>
> From what I've heard so far, magnesium is a step below Alu in toughness and is
> significantly more susceptible to corrosion from salt water/salt air.
>
> Given that, I'm thinking:
> 1) Ignore Shimano's (rather high 50-70nm) torque specs when
> installing the spindle.
>
> 2) Set both drive side and the plastic cup on the non-drive side in
> LocTite Red.
>
> 3) Torque to maybe 30nm and let the LocTite go off overnite.
>
> Rationale:
> - The Red LocTite will counterbalance the reduced torque
>
> - The Red LocTite will seal it better - preventing infiltration by water
> into the threads.
>
> - If/when I need to remove it, a little careful application of heat should
> break down the LocTite.
>
> Anybody have some thoughts on this?

Yep. make sure the BB shell is prepped. Use antisieze and normal
torque.
> --
> PeteCresswell
post #4 of 4

Re: Magnesium BB Shell: Low Torque, LocTite Red?

Per Werehatrack:
>I think you would have been better advised to take the aluminum frame.

It's not a frame, just a suspension link that contains the BB shell.

What I've got out of this thread so far:
1) Forget the LocTite. No benefit, considerable cost.

2) If/when I decide to order a spare link, get the Alu one.
I probably will get a spare link - if only as insurance against
Maverick's going belly-up.
PeteCresswell
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home