Spray paint on a unicycle?

habbywall

Guest
So, my coker will not be ridable until next Sunday, so I figure while it
is unridable I mine as well give it a sweet paint job. So could I just
spray paint parts of it? Like the frame and the rim if I was really
careful and only got it on what I wanted to get it on, or would I have
to use powdercoating?
I also want to make sure that the chemicals in spray paint won't mess
up my frame and rim and spokes and such.
Thanks to anyone who answers.

--
habbywall

habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

habbywall wrote:
> So, my coker will not be ridable until next Sunday, so I figure while it
> is unridable I mine as well give it a sweet paint job. So could I just
> spray paint parts of it? Like the frame and the rim if I was really
> careful and only got it on what I wanted to get it on, or would I have
> to use powdercoating?
> I also want to make sure that the chemicals in spray paint won't mess
> up my frame and rim and spokes and such.
> Thanks to anyone who answers.

i seriously doubt it will mess anything up... there is like a .001%
chance, but anyways... go for it, make sure to do tons of super thin
coats to make it look nice and clear coat it a few or more times as
well. you could spray parts of it... just make sure not to get it
anywhere too important

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

-last edited by \"your mom\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Hey habbywall i agree with skrobo about the clear coating and not to
paint the insides of the axle/crank. What colour are you thinking of
spray painting it or is it just to make it nice and shiny. :D :D :D.
But be careful when applying to not make it go into the axle/crank.
Keep us updated.

--
Hazmat

1 weird greek
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

i actually have painter my uni. I used car-spray paint, and added a
clear protectant coat on top. It was really easy, actually. i only did
the frame though. I did it before i ever even rode my torker. But, i am
the only person i know of with a silver torker DX.
here's a picture:
[image: http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1167/uniub9.png]

--
captainkrunk61
captainkrunk61's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13765

on the subject of painting im gunna spray stencil "GNAR SCHREDDER!!" on
my Koxx when it get scratched (and when i get it)

--
dan de man

\"underestimate zombies and you get eaten\"
i got post 77000&99000&11001 in 'm'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27264)'r'
(http://tinyurl.com/m6hs6)
'.' (http://tinyurl.com/gsfgg)'.' (http://postsecret.blogspot.com/)'.'
(http://tinyurl.com/f7bag)
pm me to rent a . any site you want (nothing rude though)
ice_cold_uni6 wrote:
> not only can life be a pie, it can also be a sponge made entirely from
> deodorant soap and alligator skin.

Belive almighty \"Jerrick\" the wise
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

When I spray painted mine, I started by useing a wire wheel to get all
the crome off then I just put painters tape on any part I didn't wnt
painted then did about 4 real thin coats with the paint, I used
tremclad or somthing like that and it looks fine.

--
Radical Reed

"I'm sorta like a super hero, exsept I don't have any powers or
motivation"
'sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'LBS' (http://www.mbps.ca/)

kapoute wrote:
> bike always broke... it's gay
> Since you live in Ontario... it's ok that it's gay

Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

its probally a good idea, paint dosen't stick very well to the crome.
you can get a wire wheel that goes on the end of a drill at a hard ware
store for like 3 bucks

--

uni_mattster wrote:
> Do you have to take the crome finish off first or can you just spray
> right on over?

You shouldn't have to remove all of the crome, but you should
definately prep it with some sand paper. I would start off with about
220 before the prime coat. After a coat or two of primer you can use
something finer like 300-400.

--
csuko
csuko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12939