or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Urine smells like tuna fish

post #1 of 5
x-no-archive: yes

can someone tell me what it means if your urine smells like tuna fish ?
is this something to be concerned about?
post #2 of 5

Re: Urine smells like tuna fish

On 26 Mar 2006 17:32:56 -0800, "mzgurl" <mzgurl27@optonline.net>
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>can someone tell me what it means if your urine smells like tuna fish ?
>is this something to be concerned about?

Eating too much tuna perhaps?
After eating a box of tuna I find the same symptom and for a few days
after. It is most likely some compounds in tuna that gives the effect.
post #3 of 5

Re: Urine smells like tuna fish

are you sure it isn't a vaginal or urinary tract infection. I would
see a doctor.
post #4 of 5

mzgurl wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes

> can someone tell me what it means if your urine smells like tuna fish ?
> is this something to be concerned about?

Web page:
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...3402.Gb.r.html has
some descriptions of urine odors.

The web site has fishy odor caused by Hypermethioninemia as a genetic
disease in children that may be treated through diet.

--
Ron
post #5 of 5

"mzgurl" <mzgurl27@optonline.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> can someone tell me what it means if your urine smells like tuna fish ?
> is this something to be concerned about?

First of all, start preparing your tuna with the sparing use of either lemon
juice, lime juice, grapefruit juice, or vinegar. Those ingredients
positively eliminate fish odor while imparting other subtle flavors. This is
not necessary for fresh or fresh-frozen fish. I first saw on TV during the
1980s a discussion of the chemistry of cooking. The acidic ingredients that
I suggested have been well known for many years to be useful in the
preparation of nonfresh fishes (particularly canned fish) by reacting with
foul smelling compounds to prevent their otherwise volatility. The major
odorous volatile chemical group is the amines. There are also minor foul
smelling aromatics that the acidic ingredients react with.

See also
http://www.discover.com/issues/nov-0...f-fish/?page=2
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem03375.htm

Just did a quick web search. The most commonly known foods that cause
urine odor are pungent vegetables like onions, garlic, asparagus and fatty
meats. Urine odor is usually not because of urinary tract infection.

From
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/urinar...rt.TGV7AAeu7cF
"Urine usually does not smell very strong, but has a slightly "nutty"
(aromatic) odor. Some diseases can cause a change in the normal odor of
urine. For example, an infection with E. coli bacteria can cause a foul
odor, while diabetes or starvation can cause a sweet, fruity odor."

Think of the simplest treatments first, such as drinking more
water. That alone would dilute the concentration of whatever it is in your
urine that has the odor.

See this article about how urine odor is affected by lack of hydration
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/liver...ey/203657.html

And from
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/liver...ey/203657.html
"Urine normally has a strong smell first thing in the morning, as at this
time it is very concentrated. If you are at all dehydrated, as you may well
be after being in a warm bed for several hours, there can be the distinctive
smell of ketones in the urine as well as by-products from certain foods that
you may have eaten the night before.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition