or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corned Beef...what is the best

post #1 of 33
What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
It must be tender.
What cut should it be.
Thanks,
Lee
post #2 of 33

Re: Corned Beef...what is the best

In article <1142038635.970521.281390@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
leeraque@yahoo.com wrote:

> What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
> It must be tender.
> What cut should it be.
> Thanks,
> Lee

1. Buy a ticket to Ireland
2. Buy a cow
3. ...

This is a worldwide group. Where are you posting from? Good luck
finding corned beef in China.

:-(

--
Dan Abel
dabel@sonic.net

Re: Corned Beef...what is the best

<leeraque@yahoo.com> wrote

> What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
> It must be tender.
> What cut should it be.

Don't especially know what brand, I buy whatever, but
I always get the flat cut. I have read that the point cut is
not so nice.

nancy
post #4 of 33

"Nancy Young" <qwerty@monmouth.com> wrote in message

> <leeraque@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> > What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
> > It must be tender.
> > What cut should it be.

> Don't especially know what brand, I buy whatever, but
> I always get the flat cut. I have read that the point cut is
> not so nice.
>
> nancy

My favorite brand name is Boar's Head (not the pre-cooked kind they sell in
the deli) but the kind that needs to be cooked. Pricey though. If you
can't get Boar's Head, I've found the Cook's brand to be pretty good and not
as pricey as Boar's Head.

Chris in Pearland, TX
post #5 of 33

<leeraque@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
> It must be tender.
> What cut should it be.
> Thanks,
> Lee

this is the brisket cut in the U.S.; the name "corned" comes from the
processing used.

Harriet & critters (J J the world famous jack russell terrior who has gotten
his share of the sourdough bread & olive oil; and Ms P K the lady manx who
rules the house and who is in the chair by the window.
post #6 of 33

Re: Corned Beef...what is the best

"Chris Marksberry" <rmarksberry@houston.rr.nospam.com> wrote

> My favorite brand name is Boar's Head (not the pre-cooked kind they sell
> in
> the deli) but the kind that needs to be cooked. Pricey though.

I feel that you can't go wrong, when in doubt, Boar's Head anything.
Thing is, where I shop it's like ... whatever brand they have that week.
Not a selection of brands.

Last one I had was from Costco, that was very good. I don't know,
perhaps it was Nathan's? Not positive.

nancy
post #7 of 33

Chris Marksberry wrote:
> My favorite brand name is Boar's Head (not the pre-cooked kind they sell in
> the deli) but the kind that needs to be cooked. Pricey though. If you
> can't get Boar's Head, I've found the Cook's brand to be pretty good and not
> as pricey as Boar's Head.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

Cooks products are nice because they are not too salty. We buy their
hams fairly often. This will be the first year in 20 or so that I will
eat some corned beef. I am breaking my "no beef" rule just for St.
Patty's Day.

-L.
post #8 of 33

On 10 Mar 2006 16:57:16 -0800, leeraque@yahoo.com wrote:

>What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
>It must be tender.

Except for Boar's Head, I don't think I've ever seen the same
brand of corned beef twice - especially during March when every
meat processor makes up a different name than they used the
previous year.

I don't think Boar's Head is any better (or worse) than most of
the generics. It's kinda hard to screw up corned beef.

I go for the point cuts because they're fattier and don't dry out
(yes - they will dry it out even boiling it).

-sw
post #9 of 33

Nancy Young wrote:

><leeraque@yahoo.com> wrote
>

>>What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
>>It must be tender.
>>What cut should it be.
>>

>Don't especially know what brand, I buy whatever, but
>I always get the flat cut. I have read that the point cut is
>not so nice.
>
>nancy

IMHO the best cut is the eye, or girello. It's cylindrical and tapers
towards one end. As for "brand", there's no such thing here, uncooked
meat doesn't come branded. I deduce that the original poster is
American, because associating corned beef with St Patrick's Day is
unheard of in Oz, where a very large proportion of the population is
of Irish extraction. Corned beef is English food. We associate St
Patrick's Day with green beer (and Guiness for the traditionalists). As
for "tender", it depends on how competently you cook it.

Christine
post #10 of 33

-L. wrote:

>Chris Marksberry wrote:
>

>>My favorite brand name is Boar's Head (not the pre-cooked kind they sell in
>>the deli) but the kind that needs to be cooked. Pricey though. If you
>>can't get Boar's Head, I've found the Cook's brand to be pretty good and not
>>as pricey as Boar's Head.
>>
>>Chris in Pearland, TX
>>

>Cooks products are nice because they are not too salty. We buy their
>hams fairly often. This will be the first year in 20 or so that I will
>eat some corned beef. I am breaking my "no beef" rule just for St.
>Patty's Day.
>
>-L.

Now perhaps you can answer me something, speaking of "no beef". How can
people be eating corned beef on St Patrick's Day anyway, seeing as how
it's in the middle of Lent?

I'm a lapsed Presbyterian, you understand, and Presbyterians don't do Lent.

Christine
post #11 of 33

Re: Corned Beef...what is the best

On Fri 10 Mar 2006 08:33:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Old Mother
Ashby?

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>><leeraque@yahoo.com> wrote
>>

>>>What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
>>>It must be tender.
>>>What cut should it be.
>>>

>>Don't especially know what brand, I buy whatever, but
>>I always get the flat cut. I have read that the point cut is
>>not so nice.
>>
>>nancy
>>

> IMHO the best cut is the eye, or girello. It's cylindrical and tapers
> towards one end. As for "brand", there's no such thing here, uncooked
> meat doesn't come branded. I deduce that the original poster is
> American, because associating corned beef with St Patrick's Day is
> unheard of in Oz, where a very large proportion of the population is
> of Irish extraction. Corned beef is English food. We associate St
> Patrick's Day with green beer (and Guiness for the traditionalists). As
> for "tender", it depends on how competently you cook it.
>
> Christine

Practically every establishment in the US that calls itself a restaurant
serves up plates of corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's day. Save for
that one day, it's rare to see it on many menus. Apart from that, Jewish
style delis are one of the few places that serve it in abundance the rest
of the year, and that's usually in sandwiches. The Enlish version is
usually called "spiced beef" or "salt beef" is it not?

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
post #12 of 33

Re: Corned Beef...what is the best

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:36:54 +1100, Old Mother Ashby
<cmashby@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Now perhaps you can answer me something, speaking of "no beef". How can
>people be eating corned beef on St Patrick's Day anyway, seeing as how
>it's in the middle of Lent?

In many localities, the bishop will grant a "general dispensation" for
that day which relieves the obligation.

Sue(tm)
post #13 of 33

Re: Corned Beef...what is the best

On 10 Mar 2006 16:57:16 -0800, leeraque@yahoo.com wrote:

>What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?
>It must be tender.
>What cut should it be.
>Thanks,
>Lee

Last year I bought Mosey's, which is sold in most stores in my area.
I liked it a lot. They sell it either with or without spice packets.
The packages look the same unfortunately.

Sue(tm)
post #14 of 33

Re: Corned Beef...what is the best

On 10 Mar 2006 16:57:16 -0800, leeraque@yahoo.com wrote:

> What is the best brand of corned beef to buy for St Patrick's day?

I'd buy Shenson's.

> It must be tender.

It's tender if you cook it enough, but don't over cook it.

> What cut should it be.

post #15 of 33

Roberta wrote:

> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> <leeraque@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Don't especially know what brand, I buy whatever, but
>>> I always get the flat cut. I have read that the point cut is
>>> not so nice.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>

>> IMHO the best cut is the eye, or girello. It's cylindrical and tapers
>> towards one end. As for "brand", there's no such thing here, uncooked
>> meat doesn't come branded. I deduce that the original poster is
>> American, because associating corned beef with St Patrick's Day is
>> unheard of in Oz, where a very large proportion of the population
>> is of Irish extraction. Corned beef is English food. We associate St
>> Patrick's Day with green beer (and Guiness for the traditionalists).
>> As for "tender", it depends on how competently you cook it.
>>
>> Christine

> So is there a Food you associate with St. Patrick's day in Oz?
>
> Roberta (in VA - not a fan of corned beef)

Like I said, green beer, which is not easily obtained, and Guiness,
which is not usually drunk in large quantities compared to regular beer.
St Pat's Day isn't about eating in this country, it's about drinking,
it's an Irish thing after all. I'm sure the pubs provide food, but I
don't know that there's anything special. And as I said in another post,
I can't see how you can be getting stuck into meat anyway during Lent.

Of course, as I understand it you shouldn't be getting drunk either
during Lent, but I'm not a Mick so I wouldn't know ;-)

Christine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition