or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lipitor and ED

post #1 of 6
My GP has never heard of it he says, but my Urologist just told me to
get off of Lipitor as it is most likely the cause of my ED. So my GP
has me now on Zetia. I've read this group for 4 mos now and see no
reference to Lipitor and ED.

I'm a healthy 64-year-old, great BP, (that of a 16-year-old the nurse
tells me) but since I've been on Lipitor, (3 years) ED has become a
growing presence. I know.... every med has it's own side effects, but
if Lipitor was the cause of my ED, what will Zetia bring?? Comments?

--
Griff - "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
post #2 of 6

Re: Lipitor and ED

http://www.kenes.com/73eas/program/abstracts/126.doc

ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AND STATIN THERAPY: INTERACTION WITH CARDIOVASCULAR
RISK FACTORS AND DRUG THERAPIES
H. Solomon1, J. Man1, Y.P. Samarasinghe2, M.D. Feher2, A.S. Wierzbicki3, G.
Jackson1
1Department of Cardiology, St. Thomas' Hospital, 2Beta Cell Diabetes Centre,
Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, 3Department of Chemical Pathology, St.
Thomas' Hospital, London UK
Erectile dysfunction has been associated with atherosclerotic risk factors
and drugs used in their treatment. This study investigated the relationship
of erectile function with cardiovascular risk factors and specific drug
therapies. International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF) scores measured
in 100 men attending cardiovascular risk clinics. Cardiovascular risk
factors and drug therapies were assessed prior to initation and after 6
months of statin therapy. Before statin therapy no correlation was observed
between IIEF score and any individual cardiovascular risk factor though
better scores were observed in patients on warfarin or angiotensin-II
receptor blocker therapy (r=0.42; p <0.001). After 6 months of statin
therapy, significant correlations were observed between lower IIEF scores
(r=0.62; P<0.001) and age, smoking, diabetes and usage of warfarin or
angiotensin-2 type 1 receptor blocker (ARB) therapy. Differences in dose,
relative efficacy or relative lipophilicity of statin prescribed showed no
correlation with change in IIEF score. This study suggests impotence
following statin therapy is likelier in patients with more severe
endothelial dysfunction due to established cardiovascular risk factors
including age, and smoking and diabetes. This is complicated by adverse
interactions between statin therapy and concomitant treatment with warfarin
or angiotensin-II type I receptor blockers.

"Ted Griffin" <griffint@iwic.net> wrote in message
> My GP has never heard of it he says, but my Urologist just told me to
> get off of Lipitor as it is most likely the cause of my ED. So my GP
> has me now on Zetia. I've read this group for 4 mos now and see no
> reference to Lipitor and ED.
>
> I'm a healthy 64-year-old, great BP, (that of a 16-year-old the nurse
> tells me) but since I've been on Lipitor, (3 years) ED has become a
> growing presence. I know.... every med has it's own side effects, but
> if Lipitor was the cause of my ED, what will Zetia bring?? Comments?
>
> --
> Griff - "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"

post #3 of 6

Re: Lipitor and ED

http://www.coloradohealthsite.org/ph...y/statins.html

Drug Information Center: Information on Statin Drugs
"On March 7, 2002, Colorado HealthSite interviewed Beatrice A. Golomb, MD,
PhD, principal investigator of a study on Statin Drugs by the National
Institutes of Health. Dr. Golomb noted that the most common problems
reported about statin drugs pertain to muscle pain or weakness, fatigue,
memory and cognitive problems, sleep problems, and neuropathy. Erectile
dysfunction, problems with temperature regulation (feeling hot or cold, or
having sweats) are among the other problems reported. "

"Ted Griffin" <griffint@iwic.net> wrote in message
> My GP has never heard of it he says, but my Urologist just told me to
> get off of Lipitor as it is most likely the cause of my ED. So my GP
> has me now on Zetia. I've read this group for 4 mos now and see no
> reference to Lipitor and ED.
>
> I'm a healthy 64-year-old, great BP, (that of a 16-year-old the nurse
> tells me) but since I've been on Lipitor, (3 years) ED has become a
> growing presence. I know.... every med has it's own side effects, but
> if Lipitor was the cause of my ED, what will Zetia bring?? Comments?
>
> --
> Griff - "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"

post #4 of 6

Re: Lipitor and ED

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/678811.stm

BBC News: Wednesday, 15 March, 2000, 19:02 GMT
Heart drug impotence warning
"Statins prevent heart attacks by reducing the levels of dangerous
cholesterol in the bloodstream.
However, a small number of men prescribed the life-saving drug have
complained that they are unable to achieve an erection."

"Dr John Harvey, from the Wrexham Maelor Hospital in Wales, identified 220
men who appeared to have lost their "virility" after starting to take
statins. "

"Ted Griffin" <griffint@iwic.net> wrote in message
> My GP has never heard of it he says, but my Urologist just told me to
> get off of Lipitor as it is most likely the cause of my ED. So my GP
> has me now on Zetia. I've read this group for 4 mos now and see no
> reference to Lipitor and ED.
>
> I'm a healthy 64-year-old, great BP, (that of a 16-year-old the nurse
> tells me) but since I've been on Lipitor, (3 years) ED has become a
> growing presence. I know.... every med has it's own side effects, but
> if Lipitor was the cause of my ED, what will Zetia bring?? Comments?
>
> --
> Griff - "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"

post #5 of 6

Re: Lipitor and ED

Do you think we might at last have something on the statin issue that
gets the medical community's attention?

"Sharon Hope" <shope@anet.net> wrote in message news:<8Qi%a.126568$Oz4.26207@rwcrnsc54>...
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/678811.stm
>
> BBC News: Wednesday, 15 March, 2000, 19:02 GMT
> Heart drug impotence warning
> "Statins prevent heart attacks by reducing the levels of dangerous
> cholesterol in the bloodstream.
> However, a small number of men prescribed the life-saving drug have
> complained that they are unable to achieve an erection."
>
> "Dr John Harvey, from the Wrexham Maelor Hospital in Wales, identified 220
> men who appeared to have lost their "virility" after starting to take
> statins. "
>

> "Ted Griffin" <griffint@iwic.net> wrote in message
> > My GP has never heard of it he says, but my Urologist just told me to
> > get off of Lipitor as it is most likely the cause of my ED. So my GP
> > has me now on Zetia. I've read this group for 4 mos now and see no
> > reference to Lipitor and ED.
> >
> > I'm a healthy 64-year-old, great BP, (that of a 16-year-old the nurse
> > tells me) but since I've been on Lipitor, (3 years) ED has become a
> > growing presence. I know.... every med has it's own side effects, but
> > if Lipitor was the cause of my ED, what will Zetia bring?? Comments?
> >
> > --
> > Griff - "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"

post #6 of 6

Re: Lipitor and ED

I've been on Pravachol since 1995 - never had side-effects. My GP
tried to get me to switch to Liptor a few years ago. I experienced
severe muscular cramping and pain after 1 week. Went back to
Pravachol. My cardio added Zetia about four weeks ago and I have
experienced some mild bloating and weight gain, which apparently, is
a side-effect. I told him if it doesn't go away I will stop taking
Zetia.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:55:26 -0500, Ted Griffin <griffint@iwic.net>
wrote:

>My GP has never heard of it he says, but my Urologist just told me to
>get off of Lipitor as it is most likely the cause of my ED. So my GP
>has me now on Zetia. I've read this group for 4 mos now and see no
>reference to Lipitor and ED.
>
>I'm a healthy 64-year-old, great BP, (that of a 16-year-old the nurse
>tells me) but since I've been on Lipitor, (3 years) ED has become a
>growing presence. I know.... every med has it's own side effects, but
>if Lipitor was the cause of my ED, what will Zetia bring?? Comments?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health and medical