or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Biking around Las Vegas?

post #1 of 2
"Bob" <baredawg@bikerider.com> wrote in message
news:<959409d9aa971cdeb6ebdedd7d7a6828.85315@mygate.mailgate.org>...
> Any suggestions for biking in the Vegas area? I've found one trip for $90 bucks that covers
> Red CAnyon?

If you go here: http://tinyurl.com/hq9w you'll read about our trip out to Red Rocks last summer. My
feeling is that the guys at Blue Diamond Bike Outpost(http://www.bikeoutpost.com/) are very ready to
help with maps and trail suggestions, so if you wanted to mountain bike as opposed to be on the road
like we were, they'd be able to provide you with all the information you'd need.

I've heard now good feedback (including from my husband, as well as posters here) regarding McGhies
Ski, Bike and Board at 702-252-8077. The quality of the bikes is supposed to be excellent. These
would be road bikes.

Escape Adventures (http://www.escapeadventures.com/) are supposed to be good if you need a
guide/help. Is that the one trip for $90 you refer to? I see $89 for a half-day self-guided loop.
But heck, I'd just go out to Blue Diamond, rent my own bike, and it'd be a lot cheaper than doing
it that way.

In general, realize that it is VERY HOT in Las Vegas in the summer time. I feel stupid for writing
this, and I hope you aren't insulted that I state what should be obvious. But I look at today's
weather report, and the high is 110, with isolated thunderstorms. The low is
86. Right now, according to Yahoo Weather, it says 108 in Blue Diamond. You'll be riding, exposed,
in the sunshine, for most of the ride. It can be very dry, such that your eyes itch and every
drop of sweat instantly evaporates. We took two ice-water filled camelbaks (170 oz of water)
with us out there last summer, topped and refilled them, and still, it was barely enough water.
You want to get out there early in the morning, and be back before noon.

Riding your bike in the desert, in my opinion, is the most fun you can have in greater Las Vegas,
followed by some decent hiking in the mountains in the vicinity. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky (cpetersky@yahoo.com) Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
post #2 of 2

Re: Biking around Las Vegas?

"Claire Petersky" <cpetersky@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bob" <baredawg@bikerider.com> wrote in message
> > Any suggestions for biking in the Vegas area? I've found one trip for $90 bucks that covers Red
> > CAnyon?

Truly appreciate this input. As I understand it, the $90 was for the 15 mile trip in Red Rock
Canyon. It did include hotel pickup, bike rental, and (whoops) don't know what else. Sounds like
some of the suggestions I've gotten in replys might be the better way to go. Thanks again. Bob

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: rec.bicycles.rides archive
This thread is locked