or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Health and medical › Foods that increase INR level with Warfarin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foods that increase INR level with Warfarin

post #1 of 8
On 16 Sep 2003 05:37:54 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:

>My husband takes Coumadin. He has for many years. His INR levels
>have been pretty steady over the years ranging between 2.0 and 2.9.
>Lately they have been getting a little higher each time he is tested.
>The last three months were 2.8, 2.9 and 3.1.
>
>I'm wondering if it's something he's eating

I have been taking Coumadin for eight years now.
Based on my personal experience as a patient, I would say that the INR
levels jump high, even over 4 or 5, at least once a year without *any*
apparent explanation - not counting the expected changes resulting
from a new drug therapy (typical example, amiodarone) or from a new
and unbalanced diet.
Since your husband's INR levels have been pretty steady over the years
.... you can simply say that your husband is lucky :-).
And I'd bet you'll never now why the increase in the last three
months. Obviously the doctor will now have him readjust his Coumadin
dosage.

Regards
--
uplbet
(in email reply delete NOSPAM from the address)

Re: Foods that increase INR level with Warfarin

Here's a link: http://www.healthcaresouth.com/pages...teractions.htm

for even more info go to www.google.com and search for "warfarin food
INR"
googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0309160437.118df5e7@posting.google.com>...
> My husband takes Coumadin. He has for many years. His INR levels
> have been pretty steady over the years ranging between 2.0 and 2.9.
> Lately they have been getting a little higher each time he is tested.
> The last three months were 2.8, 2.9 and 3.1.
>
> I'm wondering if it's something he's eating. Can someone tell me
> what foods increase INR levels? I know which ones contain Vitamin K,
> but can't find a list of foods that can cause bleeding.
>
> He has not made any changes to any medications or vitamins that he
> takes.
>
> Thanks
post #3 of 8

Re: Foods that increase INR level with Warfarin

On 16 Sep 2003 05:37:54 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:

>My husband takes Coumadin. He has for many years. His INR levels
>have been pretty steady over the years ranging between 2.0 and 2.9.
>Lately they have been getting a little higher each time he is tested.
>The last three months were 2.8, 2.9 and 3.1.
>
>I'm wondering if it's something he's eating. Can someone tell me
>what foods increase INR levels? I know which ones contain Vitamin K,
>but can't find a list of foods that can cause bleeding.
>
>He has not made any changes to any medications or vitamins that he
>takes.
>
>Thanks

If it is something your husband eats that causes the increase in INR I
would be interested to know what it is. I had a steady INR for a long
time but for the past few months the local clinic have not been
satisfied and I have to return there every two weeks after which they
'phone and up the dose. They want mine to be between 3-4 (mechanical
valve) but it is staying around 2.8. I am taking a large dose of
Omega 3 for osteoarthritis and I thought this would make the blood
thinner but it has not happened. It is a bit embarrassing as I wonder
if they think there is something I am not telling them. If you use a
search engine like Google and enter Coumadin/Warfarin+drug+food
interactions, you might get some useful information. Diana
post #4 of 8

Re: Foods that increase INR level with Warfarin

Odd that the fish oil doesn't work for you. Hot peppers/spices
supposedly can thin the blood. Watch for new drug to replace warfarin
- no blood tests needed.

florald@bigfoot.com wrote in message news:<3f69a813.2147343@news.CIS.DFN.DE>...
> On 16 Sep 2003 05:37:54 -0700, googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote:
>
> >My husband takes Coumadin. He has for many years. His INR levels
> >have been pretty steady over the years ranging between 2.0 and 2.9.
> >Lately they have been getting a little higher each time he is tested.
> >The last three months were 2.8, 2.9 and 3.1.
> >
> >I'm wondering if it's something he's eating. Can someone tell me
> >what foods increase INR levels? I know which ones contain Vitamin K,
> >but can't find a list of foods that can cause bleeding.
> >
> >He has not made any changes to any medications or vitamins that he
> >takes.
> >
> >Thanks

> If it is something your husband eats that causes the increase in INR I
> would be interested to know what it is. I had a steady INR for a long
> time but for the past few months the local clinic have not been
> satisfied and I have to return there every two weeks after which they
> 'phone and up the dose. They want mine to be between 3-4 (mechanical
> valve) but it is staying around 2.8. I am taking a large dose of
> Omega 3 for osteoarthritis and I thought this would make the blood
> thinner but it has not happened. It is a bit embarrassing as I wonder
> if they think there is something I am not telling them. If you use a
> search engine like Google and enter Coumadin/Warfarin+drug+food
> interactions, you might get some useful information. Diana
post #5 of 8

Re: Foods that increase INR level with Warfarin

I was told yesterday by the head nurse at my HMO " blood thinning
clinic" or whatever you call it, that Green Tea could cause the
Warfarin not to be as effective. Does that sound realistic to anyone?

Bob

Brad@sheppardsoftware.com (Brad Sheppard) wrote:

>Odd that the fish oil doesn't work for you. Hot peppers/spices
>supposedly can thin the blood. Watch for new drug to replace warfarin

snip
post #6 of 8

Re: Foods that increase INR level with Warfarin

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:16:42 GMT, Bob Cardone
<cardone1!@!mindspring.com> wrote:

>I was told yesterday by the head nurse at my HMO " blood thinning
>clinic" or whatever you call it, that Green Tea could cause the
>Warfarin not to be as effective. Does that sound realistic to anyone?
>
>Bob

The only thing I have read about green tea is it's antioxidant
qualities but other articles I have read insist that any kind of tea
will work as well, with or without milk.

Diana

post #7 of 8

Re: Foods that increase INR level with Warfarin

On 18 Sep 2003 13:09:12 -0700, Brad@sheppardsoftware.com (Brad
Sheppard) wrote:

>Odd that the fish oil doesn't work for you. Hot peppers/spices
>supposedly can thin the blood. Watch for new drug to replace warfarin
>- no blood tests needed.

There was a really interesting article in The Times yesterday about
Warfarin, strokes etc. and a new minimally invasive treatment for AF
which uses micro waves. Only 15 worldwide have been done so far.
The new oral substitute for Warfarin is called Exanta ximelagatran.
Results of trials announced at the recent European cardiology
congress in Vienna show that the new drug is as effective as Warfarin
for AF not related to valvular heart disease. Unfortunately my AF is
related to valve disease so it looks like I will not be able to have.
If you go to The Times web pages you should be able to track down the
article. Diana
post #8 of 8

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <andrew@heartmdphd.com> wrote:

>She may have thought (erroneously) that green tea contains vitamin K.
>
>--
>Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
>Board-Certified Cardiologist
>http://www.heartmdphd.com/

That's what I thought...... She seems a bit confused at times... Oh
well, she tries hard anyway..

Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home