Deore Front Deraileur - need to adapt to 1.25" frame - has split band style clamp

Andy

Guest
Hi all, I am in need of a way to use this front derailure, a Shimano
Deore FD--MT62. It is a 1 3/8 inch band clamp style and I need to
put
in on a 1 1/4" seat tube (31.8mm). I have seen several adapters, but
cant find one designed to work with this DR. Tried to make one, but
that was no good. I have also tried using newer derailures, but they
are too narrow, I guess because they are for 9 speed chains and this
is a 7 speed? They either rub on the middle chain ring or on the
chain when in big gear. (THe chain rings are 24/36/46 - this is a
tandem I am building up.) Alternatively, if anyone knows for sure of
a particular FD that would work with that set up, that would be fine,
too. Finally, what is meant in the spec sheets by "total teeth
count" As in a certain DR can accomodate a 22 teeth total? Total of
what? The small ring alone exceeds 22T, so what is the total count
spec? THanks!!!

On Mar 21, 5:35 pm, "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all, I am in need of a way to use this front derailure, a Shimano
> Deore FD--MT62. It is a 1 3/8 inch band clamp style and I need to
> put
> in on a 1 1/4" seat tube (31.8mm). I have seen several adapters, but
> cant find one designed to work with this DR. Tried to make one, but
> that was no good.

Try a short piece of thin (Schedule 40?) PVC pipe. It's about 1/16"
thick, and makes a dandy shim. I have one on my bike (although I have
a newer hinged clamp) and it works fine.

If this were 20 years ago, you could get the correct size band as a
seperate part. I doubt they're still available now.

I have also tried using newer derailures, but they
> are too narrow, I guess because they are for 9 speed chains and this
> is a 7 speed? They either rub on the middle chain ring or on the
> chain when in big gear. (THe chain rings are 24/36/46 - this is a
> tandem I am building up.) Alternatively, if anyone knows for sure of
> a particular FD that would work with that set up, that would be fine,
> too. Finally, what is meant in the spec sheets by "total teeth
> count" As in a certain DR can accomodate a 22 teeth total? Total of
> what? The small ring alone exceeds 22T, so what is the total count
> spec? THanks!!!

Total teeth can mean a couple different things. Sometimes it's the
largest chainring, sometimes it's the difference between the largest
and smallest chainrings. In either case, you're OK. Shimano' s ratings
are pretty conservative, and your chainrings aren't pushing the limits
at all.

Jeff

Jeff, this is a dandy idea. I had tried aluminum wraped in layers,
but it was slipping. (see my post on rec.bicycles.misc) I like the
pvc, perhaps attached to the frame with hot glue. I'll try it (and
hopefully sell the LX der. I just bought). -
Andy

On Mar 21, 6:19 pm, "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jeff, this is a dandy idea. I had tried aluminum wraped in layers,
> but it was slipping. (see my post on rec.bicycles.misc) I like the
> pvc, perhaps attached to the frame with hot glue. I'll try it (and
> hopefully sell the LX der. I just bought). -
> Andy

You don't have to glue it in place. Just cut a piece about 2" long and
make one cut along its length. It'll snap in place with minimal
effort. I don't think it'll even scratch the paint- PVC's pretty soft.

I painted my shim black before I put it on. It's darn near invisible-
but my frame's black, too.

Jeff