Spray Painting My Torker Lx Frame

tunkie

Guest
Okay well im getting bright orange spray paint and was wondering on tips
on spray painting my torker lx frame. Ive taken off all stickers and
cleaned it and will soon use rubbing alcohol to get the sticky stuff
off. Should I use a primer or a clear coat on top of the bright orange.
Just any tips will work like a walkthrough on spray painting thanks.

--
tunkie

Blegas78 wrote:
> I'm makin a movie with my girlfriend and I'm going to land some fresh
> combos for it as well as an invented trick hopefully, woohoo!
> Chris.James wrote:
> > wow, that could be interpreted really badly

http://youtube.com/profile?user=unitrials

http://www.misterpoll.com/568933725.html
tunkie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13936

your gunna need to take all the paint off for it to look the best. this
is what i did

i took all the paint of my frame using a wire wheel. then i got some
medium grit sandpaper and when over all of my frame so it cold give the
paint soemthing to stick too. once sanded wash it really really well
and let it dry after that rub it down with alcohol or those prep wipes.
do this you the bearing cups aslo.

!!!!! before you begin to paint it figure out a way to hang it so you
wont touch it or let it sit on something. i used metal wire and i
rapped it around one of the bearing cup bolts and the bolted it to the
frame. no one will will notice there isnt any paint there because a
bolt will be covering it up anyway

once it is prepped _PUT_TAPE_AROUND_WHERE_YOUR_SEAT_CLAMP_GOES
_ after it is taped get a primer since your painting it orange get a
white or light grey primer. the better the primer the better the final
paint will look. spray light coats i did about 3 light coats. give it a
day for that to dry. once its dry sand that with a relaly light grit
sand paper like 1000 or 800 grit. then clean and prep it again.

now get a nice paint like automotive paint it will pay off in the end.
Again keep the top seat clamp area taped. now do many light coats. i
think i did about 5-7 i dont remember. the let it dry for a day. once
it is dry get 2000 grit wet sand paper and wet sand it really carefully
but dont be timid. if you mess up just paint another coat. this will
take off all the flaws in the paint.

now dry it and prep it again. its time for the clear coat. Again keep
the top seat clamp area taped. i used a polyurethane clear. it is
super strong and doesnt chip. again do light coats i did about 4 coats.
let it dry for a day. after it is dry i wet sanded this very very
lighly to remove the imperfections. now dry it and clean it again and
your all done.

patience and quality paint is the key to sucess. you rush it and use
**** paint it will show.

here is my painted uni i also painted the cranks

[image:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/c9ollie/unicycling/DSC03293.jpg]

[image:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/c9ollie/unicycling/DSC03295.jpg]

[image:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/c9ollie/unicycling/DSC03294.jpg]

[image:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/c9ollie/unicycling/DSC03529.jpg]

here are the cranks after a lot of trials and street riding

[image:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/c9ollie/unicycling/DSC04519.jpg]

[image:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g12/c9ollie/unicycling/DSC04518.jpg]

--
c9ollie
c9ollie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13989

If you really want anew colour for your uni you need it powder coated as
its the best way to get a good colour that will stay on for longer.
Downsides to this are that it can cost more (but not always) and that
powder coat colours may not be as varied as what you can pick up in car
repairs and the like.

--
bungalistic

A COMMON MISTAKE THAT PEOPLE MAKE WHEN TRYING TO DESIGN SOMETHING
COMPLETELY FOOLPROOF IS TO UNDERESTIMATE THE INGENUITY OF THE COMPLETE
FOOLS

My Gallery (http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=192026">My
gallery)

'Fat-Tyre.co.uk' (http://www.fat-tyre.co.uk/)
bungalistic's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12035

Spraypainting rocks, I never used any primer and it looked like this:
18825
You should use clearcoat afterwards or it will turn up like mine haha..

|Filename: frame oranje 1.jpg |

*I'm addicted to speed, but not the drug*
DustinSchaap's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12614

These are all really good tutorials and ideas on how to get a great
paint job. But it's just an LX. Spray paint is all that's needed and
it'll be a paint job worthy of an LX.

--
AscenXion

*\ /*